"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 02-14-2014, 01:53 PM   #11
Certified Cake Maniac
I won't be cooking anything on account of I am banned from most physical activity. I am also not eating very much. But we had dinner out just before I went in the hospital as a sort of pre-Valentines celebration so that is good.

"Variety is not just the spice of life, it is the key to life" - Chef Michael Smith

LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 02:03 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
I spelunked from the freezer what I finally figured out to be chunks from a whole ribeye I cut up a while ago. Will probably brown them with some onions, mushrooms, and baby carrots.

Hmm. We're out of red wine, and I would really like beef bourgignon. And it's really cold out. Tomorrow.

So it's spelunked shrimp burgers!

She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 02:30 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I was going to make Roch's chicken cacciatore, but I couldn't fine the chicken in the freezer. I don't cook chicken often. I think I figured it out. We had it for Thanksgiving. It had been in the freezer for so long that it was still in my brain as being in the freezer, Stirling's brain too. I better put chicken on the shopping list.

So, I will make Harry's Spicy Pork Ball Rendang, but with ground beef. Stirling had pork yesterday and isn't in the mood for more pork today.

I'll probably make a cold, berry soufflé for dessert. I know I have the berries, 'cause I saw them when I was looking for the chicken, and I know I have enough whipping cream (I bought more yesterday), but do I have enough gelatin?
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 02:46 PM   #14
Master Chef
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
When you say stuffed cabbage do you mean like holupchi/cabbage rolls? OM NOM NOM!!! I haven't had any good ones in ages. Mom used the soured cabbage leaves and a mixture of barley, buckwheat and rice to fill them. She used a big can of crushed tomatoes on top. Totally delicious. *sigh* I wish my family liked them....
Yes Alix, Polish Gołąbki. Although my Slovak husband insists on calling them "Halupki". Hmm, that might be the reason I don't make them very often. Anyway, my version is not vegetarian. Rather, I use ground beef. But you're still welcome to stop by and have some! As my Mom would say, I'll put on an extra potato!
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 03:11 PM   #15
Executive Chef
What's for dinner today, Valentine's Day, Feb. 14, 2014?

I can't believe there's no "what's for dinner" topic for today, if I goofed, please merge.

I got some nice sort ribs of beef yesterday and decided to do them the way I used to, in my crock pot, but didn't want to fire up the crock for just 3 (humongous) sort ribs, so I'm cooking them in a similar method but in a suitably sized covered pot on top of my stove.

Brown all sides of the ribs in oil, then throw in some chopped brown onions and a whole bunch of barbecue sauce. Cook it until done, then eat it! I have some Mahatma red beans and rice from yesterday, and some asparagus also from yesterday.

I started at noon, intend to serve at 6, I'm monitoring the temperature (180F) and stirring it every hour or so. Does that seem about the right amount of cooking? 6 hours at 180F?
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 03:18 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
I think that should work, Greg. You could put it in a 325-degree oven to reduce the chance of it scorching.

Someone started a thread in Off Topic asking what you're serving for Valentine's Day. Hopefully a mod will merge it with this.

We're making pan-seared sirloin, twice-baked potatoes, and salad. We have ice cream for dessert.
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 03:21 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire
I thought the one in OT was the typical holiday meal planning thread. Which really should have been in the special occassions forum or whatever it's called... beats me.

I'm going to make some roasted marrow bones for dinner tonight served on toasted French bread with a parsley/shallots/capers/lemon juice salad. Also a dish of mushrooms gratin.
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:40 PM   #18
Assistant Cook
Sweet potato fritters with cider-glazed carrots and fresh-baked bread. Oh, and a giant heart-shaped chocolate-chip cookie for dessert. I guess I should probably get started on that (all I've done is get the dough rising for the bread) :-)
Kiwibird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:48 PM   #19
Master Chef
Site Moderator
We had ribeye steaks, baked potatoes, and asparagus for our dinner tonight.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140214_184820.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	20760
Quoth the chicken, "Fry some more."
AB - Good Eats: Fry Hard II
DaveSoMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:32 PM   #20
Master Chef
That's the exact meal I've decided to cook Dave. Is that really a rib eye steak?

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote

cook, cooking, dinner, sweet