"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 02-14-2014, 07:40 PM   #21
Assistant Cook

Filet mignon Bordelaise, pommes darphin, asparagus. French cheese for dessert, Boulette d'Avesnes, Reblochon, Saint Nectaire. Accompanied by a 1997 Clos Pegase Cabernet Sauvignon.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:54 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
We'd planned to grill a couple of the beautiful steaks that one of Glenn's daughters gave us for Christmas and have baked potatoes and sauteed onions with them. Unfortunately, we're both still bone tired after our early day (3 a.m.) yesterday, so we'll do our Valentine celebrating tomorrow after we've gotten some rest.

Instead, I cut the remaining meat off the chicken I roasted earlier in the week, made a sauce out of the leftover gravy and served that over rice. Had buttered peas as our veggie and the last of the cherry cobbler for dessert.

I think we could've eaten an old, boiled shoe and been just as happy because we're so tired. We don't bounce back like we used to.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:59 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
We had ribeye steaks, baked potatoes, and asparagus for our dinner tonight.

Attachment 20760
Dave, your dishware looks like a Royal China Currier & Ives pattern. Is it?
Old 02-14-2014, 10:50 PM   #24
Executive Chef

I was treated for dinner tonight. Dx baked a whole roast chicken, mashed 'taters, gravy and baby brussels sprouts from trader joes and she made black bottom cupcakes.. I brought over a pan of Alix's nut bars which she was kind enough to share the recipe this week ( made w/ both choc chips and toasted pecans) With all that food I asked that we skip a green salad but I didn't turn down a scoop of ice cream and a cuppa coffee with the desserts.

There was plenty of food so I was gifted a plate of leftover chicken, gravy and cupcakes.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:06 PM   #25
Executive Chef

I made cod chunks sauteed in lemon, butter, dill, and garlic. The liquid from it was really tastey so I thickened it just a little with a sprinkling of flour to make it into a sauce. Usually I don't like any remaining liquid from cooking fish because it's too "fishy" for me but the cod was really mild. It ended up tasting almost similar to scallops.

Along side it I made baked sweet potato home fries. Seasoned them with a splash of worchestershire, a little black pepper and salt. I sauteed some chopped bok choy leaves with a couple drops of worchestershire and about 1/4 tsp soy sauce until the were just starting to darken and wilt at the edges. Sliced up an orange and served those with everything. Glass of white grape juice went nicely with it.

Wish I had gotten a picture of it plated up. The white fish, dark greens, bright orange orange slices, and deep slightly carmelized orange frome the potatoes made a really pretty plate of food.

Dessert was store bought pineapple sherbert but it was good.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:07 PM   #26
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
I was treated for dinner tonight. Dx baked a whole roast chicken, mashed 'taters, gravy and baby brussels sprouts from trader joes and she made black bottom cupcakes.. I brought over a pan of Alix's nut bars which she was kind enough to share the recipe this week ( made w/ both choc chips and toasted pecans) With all that food I asked that we skip a green salad but I didn't turn down a scoop of ice cream and a cuppa coffee with the desserts.

There was plenty of food so I was gifted a plate of leftover chicken, gravy and cupcakes.
Sounds like a good evening. What are black bottom cupcakes?
Old 02-14-2014, 11:13 PM   #27
Wine Guy

I really don't care much for ham, but my wife loves it. So Valentine's dinner was ham, roasted rosemary potatoes, and BBQ beans. Doesn't sound romantic, but it got the desired effect.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:15 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
Nothing that I know of.

He is taking me out to dinner and dancing.

Here's were we are going.

Old Martina's Hall - a Ranchos de Taos, New Mexico Landmark Restaurant, Dance Hall & Beer Garden

I am soooo close to having a proper kitchen. I can't wait to be reporting what meals I/we are preparing. He cooks too.
Aaahhh, dinner and dancing. I keep trying to convince the hubby that we should take ballroom or swing dance lessons so we can go out dancing or even stay in dancing. He always says, "Go ahead," with a tone that distinctly says I can learn but he won't. If I ask how I'm supposed to go dancing by myself he just shrugs. Sigh.

Hope you guys had a great night.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:28 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Something with shrimp. I haven't quite gotten there, yet. It is snowing. I am planning on baking some Red Velvet Cupcakes, but first I better snow blow the driveway, bring The Girls some more water and feed the woodstove.
Ended up making Indian Spiced Shrimp (https://www.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/Recipe...&recipeID=3892) served on a bed of jasmine brown rice with steamed broccoli, a tomato-fennel-feta salad drizzled with meyer lemon olive oil and white wine vinegar. For dessert, we had Red Velvet Cupcakes (Red Velvet Cupcakes - Country Living) (frosting was changed--I melted 4 oz of dark chocolate and added that to the frosting and whipped it again before piping it on the cupcakes), and some fresh blackberries.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:33 PM   #30
Executive Chef

We went out for drinks after work with some of my co-workers, it was nearly seven when we got home, so we opted not to cook the dinner that DH had planned (unbeknownst to me) and just had hot dogs instead. How's that for a romantic dinner? ;). In fairness to DH, he had apparently taken some already cooked and sauced ribs out of the freezer last night (hid them in the basement fridge so I wouldn't see them) and was going to prepare them for dinner tonight . He even bought me two avocados (he hates them) on his way home from work. I had them sliced up on my hot dogs ;)

Tags
cook, cooking, dinner, sweet