Happy Valentine's Day! Whatcha cooking for your sweetheart?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Filet mignon Bordelaise, pommes darphin, asparagus. French cheese for dessert, Boulette d'Avesnes, Reblochon, Saint Nectaire. Accompanied by a 1997 Clos Pegase Cabernet Sauvignon.

We'd planned to grill a couple of the beautiful steaks that one of Glenn's daughters gave us for Christmas and have baked potatoes and sauteed onions with them. Unfortunately, we're both still bone tired after our early day (3 a.m.) yesterday, so we'll do our Valentine celebrating tomorrow after we've gotten some rest.

Instead, I cut the remaining meat off the chicken I roasted earlier in the week, made a sauce out of the leftover gravy and served that over rice. Had buttered peas as our veggie and the last of the cherry cobbler for dessert.

I think we could've eaten an old, boiled shoe and been just as happy because we're so tired. We don't bounce back like we used to.:ohmy:

I was treated for dinner tonight. Dx baked a whole roast chicken, mashed 'taters, gravy and baby brussels sprouts from trader joes and she made black bottom cupcakes.. I brought over a pan of Alix's nut bars which she was kind enough to share the recipe this week ( made w/ both choc chips and toasted pecans) With all that food I asked that we skip a green salad but I didn't turn down a scoop of ice cream and a cuppa coffee with the desserts.

There was plenty of food so I was gifted a plate of leftover chicken, gravy and cupcakes.

I made cod chunks sauteed in lemon, butter, dill, and garlic. The liquid from it was really tastey so I thickened it just a little with a sprinkling of flour to make it into a sauce. Usually I don't like any remaining liquid from cooking fish because it's too "fishy" for me but the cod was really mild. It ended up tasting almost similar to scallops.

Along side it I made baked sweet potato home fries. Seasoned them with a splash of worchestershire, a little black pepper and salt. I sauteed some chopped bok choy leaves with a couple drops of worchestershire and about 1/4 tsp soy sauce until the were just starting to darken and wilt at the edges. Sliced up an orange and served those with everything. Glass of white grape juice went nicely with it.

Wish I had gotten a picture of it plated up. The white fish, dark greens, bright orange orange slices, and deep slightly carmelized orange frome the potatoes made a really pretty plate of food.

Dessert was store bought pineapple sherbert but it was good.

I was treated for dinner tonight. Dx baked a whole roast chicken, mashed 'taters, gravy and baby brussels sprouts from trader joes and she made black bottom cupcakes.. I brought over a pan of Alix's nut bars which she was kind enough to share the recipe this week ( made w/ both choc chips and toasted pecans) With all that food I asked that we skip a green salad but I didn't turn down a scoop of ice cream and a cuppa coffee with the desserts.

There was plenty of food so I was gifted a plate of leftover chicken, gravy and cupcakes.

Sounds like a good evening. What are black bottom cupcakes?

I really don't care much for ham, but my wife loves it. So Valentine's dinner was ham, roasted rosemary potatoes, and BBQ beans. Doesn't sound romantic, but it got the desired effect. :wub:

Nothing that I know of:).

He is taking me out to dinner and dancing:wub:.

Here's were we are going.

Old Martina's Hall - a Ranchos de Taos, New Mexico Landmark Restaurant, Dance Hall & Beer Garden

I am soooo close to having a proper kitchen. I can't wait to be reporting what meals I/we are preparing. He cooks too.

Aaahhh, dinner and dancing. I keep trying to convince the hubby that we should take ballroom or swing dance lessons so we can go out dancing or even stay in dancing. He always says, "Go ahead," with a tone that distinctly says I can learn but he won't. If I ask how I'm supposed to go dancing by myself he just shrugs. Sigh.

Hope you guys had a great night.

Something with shrimp. I haven't quite gotten there, yet. It is snowing. I am planning on baking some Red Velvet Cupcakes, but first I better snow blow the driveway, bring The Girls some more water and feed the woodstove.
Ended up making Indian Spiced Shrimp (https://www.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/RecipeController?language=EN&recipeType=1&action=recipe&recipeID=3892) served on a bed of jasmine brown rice with steamed broccoli, a tomato-fennel-feta salad drizzled with meyer lemon olive oil and white wine vinegar. For dessert, we had Red Velvet Cupcakes (Red Velvet Cupcakes - Country Living) (frosting was changed--I melted 4 oz of dark chocolate and added that to the frosting and whipped it again before piping it on the cupcakes), and some fresh blackberries.

We went out for drinks after work with some of my co-workers, it was nearly seven when we got home, so we opted not to cook the dinner that DH had planned (unbeknownst to me) and just had hot dogs instead. How's that for a romantic dinner? ;). In fairness to DH, he had apparently taken some already cooked and sauced ribs out of the freezer last night (hid them in the basement fridge so I wouldn't see them) and was going to prepare them for dinner tonight . He even bought me two avocados (he hates them) on his way home from work. I had them sliced up on my hot dogs ;)

Shrek took me to one of our favorite restaurants for coffee and dessert, he had a chocolate mousse and I had a "Dim Sum" of Tiramisu and Raspberry Mousse/Pane Cotta. Then we wandered into Oil & Vinegar and tasted our way around the shop, settling on Meyer Lemon Marmalade, a syrupy Aceto Balsamico di Modena and the real kicker...Mango Pulp Vinegar, if you can find this, BUY IT!!!

Lastly, the darned Ogre took me into the jewelry store and bought me a sparkly. Then we came home for the meal I had set to cooking.

Black bottom cupcakes are chocolate cake batter with a dollop of cream cheese-chocolate chips in the center. Bake. Eat. Have another one.

This recipe calls for miniature choc chips, otherwise it is the recipe we use.
I would never use Miniature chocolate Anything.

Black Bottom Cupcakes I Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Attachments

• bbcupcake.png
    bbcupcake.png
    62.7 KB · Views: 74
Black bottom cupcakes are chocolate cake batter with a dollop of cream cheese-chocolate chips in the center. Bake. Eat. Have another one.

This recipe calls for miniature choc chips, otherwise it is the recipe we use.
I would never use Miniature chocolate Anything.

Black Bottom Cupcakes I Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Not even a Miniature Chocolate Moose??? You know how big those things are in the first place...:mrgreen:

I made cod chunks sauteed in lemon, butter, dill, and garlic. The liquid from it was really tastey so I thickened it just a little with a sprinkling of flour to make it into a sauce. Usually I don't like any remaining liquid from cooking fish because it's too "fishy" for me but the cod was really mild. It ended up tasting almost similar to scallops.....
Sounds good p.a.g. :yum: Back home I used to be able to buy cod cheeks. Those always impressed me as poor man's scallops. They were yummy! Now I live in New England and have yet to see a cod cheek to save my life! I think the fishermen save that part for themselves...

That's the exact meal I've decided to cook Dave. Is that really a rib eye steak?

Kayelle - That is what the package said... boneless rib eye steaks. Usually don't get boneless and pre-packaged steaks but these were on a SELL TODAY sticker sale. Picked up all they had and tossed em into the freezer.

Dave, your dishware looks like a Royal China Currier & Ives pattern. Is it?

That it is Katie! I grew up with that pattern. Years ago when I went away to grad school my Mom gave me a few pieces to take with me. Since then have been slowly building up my set as I find pieces in thrift stores. My Grandmother recently gave me all her big serving platters and bowls for the set that she had.

That it is Katie! I grew up with that pattern. Years ago when I went away to grad school my Mom gave me a few pieces to take with me. Since then have been slowly building up my set as I find pieces in thrift stores. My Grandmother recently gave me all her big serving platters and bowls for the set that she had.

I wish I'd known that when I closed our business. I could've practically finished out your set. I had about a full service for 8 of all pieces. It's a gentle, restful pattern and has been around for a long time.

Kayelle - That is what the package said... boneless rib eye steaks. Usually don't get boneless and pre-packaged steaks but these were on a SELL TODAY sticker sale. Picked up all they had and tossed em into the freezer.

Hey, I understand it's hard to pass up SELL TODAY stickers Dave! I'm used to them looking like a slice of prime rib. The bone on mine is always gifted to the darling little dog who lives across the street. :yum:

img_1344646_0_ab5761a8beb88c8dc6bcde7ea076e6da.jpg

Back
Top Bottom