"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 11-04-2005, 08:57 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Harvested my sage today...

I planted several plants this year, then one of my neighbors gave me a HUGE plant she had in a pot. It was looking kind of sick. I figured it just needed to be moved into either a bigger pot, or planted in the ground, which I promptly did. It took off after a couple of weeks.

I must have picked over a pound of leaves today. I took it all into work, spread them out onto six full-size commercial sheet pans, and dried them in our hot-box. Then, I ran them through a commercial Robocoup to process them. I ended up with 172 g (a little over 6 oz) of Sage. This ought to last me a full year.

I did a little checking at Wal-Mart tonight. They have sage in three different bottles, two by McCormick, and one other brand. The two McCormick are chopped Sage Leaves, and Rubbed Dalmation Sage. The leaves run $3.97/12 g, or 33/gram. The Rubbed Sage runs $4.12/17 g, or 24/gram. The other stuff, the really cheap stuff (not sure on the brand), is ground really fine, and runs 50/35 g (1 1/4 oz), or 1.4/gram. so, depending on which one I would buy (if I was buying), I saved myself $56.76 for Sage Leaves, $41.28 for Rubbed Sage, or $2.41 for the cheap junk.

Now, the Sage I processed is somewhere between Rubbed Sage and the powdered cheap junk. Either way you look at it, though, I'm rather pleased to have saved myself a sizable chunk of change for a large quantity of home-grown Sage.

Old 11-04-2005, 09:25 PM   #2
Master Chef

So Cool!!

I have the similar good fortune with my basil, parsley and rosemary. I froze the parsley and dried the other. But I don't have nearly as much as you do.

Old 11-04-2005, 09:47 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Regardless of the money saved, yo have the freshest possible dry sage. Who knows how old the stuff in the store is?

I dry rosemary and thyme from our garden.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:49 PM   #4
Cooking Links Contest Winner

Send a message via Yahoo to shannon in KS
oooooooohhhhhhhhh, I can smell it- sounds so good! Love the smell of sage, and rosemary, ok, and almost all fresh herbs. Beautiful! I do not cook with either much, but do admit to growing rosemary just so I can hold it and smell the wonderful aroma. I make infused oil with it, very good for your skin! Good for those winter colds too. Bah, that fake vapo-rub junk! Back to cooking though, I also had a LOT of parsley this year, and have enough frozen to last the winter!
Old 11-04-2005, 11:22 PM   #5
Executive Chef

I processed my basil in two batches, making a batch of pesto about a month ago, which I froze into pesto cubes, yielding 20 cubes. PeppA has tried a little pesto with leftover spaghetti, and didn't like it. I will admit that it needs more salt, garlic, and maybe a little sugar. She can't have pine nuts, so I left those out. I also pureed the last of the basil about two weeks ago, just the basil and olive oil. I also froze that, but didn't get as much, just about 10 cubes.

I also planted Thyme, Tarragon, Chives, Rosemary, and Lavender. Only the Thyme, Chives, and what I believe is Tarragon, came up. I have two tiny patches of thyme, of which I've harvested most of already and used fresh. I'll have to wait until next year. I never really used the Chives, and PeppA doesn't seem to like them, so I'll probably till them under. The Tarragon (if that's what it is) doesn't seem to have any discerable smell or taste. None of the Rosemary or Lavender came up. I didn't know if I would successfully grow Rosemary this far north or not. I know I can grow Lavender, as we have it at my job, however, none of mine ever sprouted. Maybe next year.

I was a little dissappointed with the Thyme, as I was thinking that's what we used at work. Apparently, we have Lemon Thyme at work, and I planted the regular kind. I wanted it for two reasons, to use for cooking, and as a ground cover. I'm thinking I'll reorganize my garden next year.

I'm definitely going to keep the sage going, as I use A LOT of sage during the winter. To me, Sage is essential when you're cooking chicken. I'm thinking the 6 oz of Sage that I have should last me until harvest time next year.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:30 PM   #6
Master Chef

i think you could grow rosemary on the moon!
Old 11-04-2005, 11:37 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Ours never does great and we never can get it to come back the next year even though it's a perennial.

I think I'll buy a robust Christmas tree-shaped rosemary bush around the holidays and plant it in the spring.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:45 PM   #8
Master Chef

Mine is crazy and usually lives thru the first frost or so .... sometimes thru the winter.

I frantically harvested my garden last friday before it snowed. I took the rosemary in because it "was there."
Old 11-05-2005, 07:03 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Congratulations on the sage harvest, Allen. Sounds like you are set. I keep saying I'm gonna grow herbs on the deck every spring, but so far have not done so.

I did plant two teeny rosemary plants a couple of years ago by the front door that have grown into monsters and have survived winter just fine. Try yours again,maybe in a location more protected from wind (as a Mediterranean plant, it needs the sun) and see what happens.
Old 11-05-2005, 09:35 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Thanks for the advice, mudbug. My garden is situated in a spot that is protected from the wind, and has a good southern exposure to the sun. I started all my herbs from seeds. Some of them just never sprouted. I think next year, I'll go to a good nursery and get a live plant.