"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 12-01-2006, 11:15 AM   #31
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Mosher
I'd love to take a Thai course though! I hear a lot of places in Bangkok run cooking-school "Vacations" where you spend five days shopping at local markets and cooking.
I've taken one of these before at a fancy hotel along the Chao Praya river. (This was long before I moved to Thailand.) We rode a nice re-outfitted rice barge to the wet market across the river, where our guide showed us local produce and spices being sold, and then we went back the same way to the hotel where the chef showed us how to cook a 5 course meal at an outdoor kitchen surrounded by lush gardens. We were even given a nice hotel-branded apron and toque. The course was overpriced of course. And what I learned I could have read off the recipes.

Now I shy away from touristy stuff like this. Nicholas, when you do, make sure it's not some tourist rip-off. Many hotels and schools offer cooking courses as it is very popular with tourists. My advice: Do your research on the school and program first.

Old 12-01-2006, 01:02 PM   #32
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine
Yeah, there's a lot of that going around. That's why I can't figure out the surge in cook book sales the last few years.
Lots of folks read 'em instead of mysteries or whatever, and never intend to cook from them at all! Go figure!

Old 12-01-2006, 01:52 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune
Lots of folks read 'em instead of mysteries or whatever, and never intend to cook from them at all! Go figure!
I read murder mysteries with the same intentions

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 02:15 PM   #34
Sous Chef

HAHAHAHA!
Old 12-01-2006, 02:16 PM   #35
Sous Chef

I just hope you're not saying, "Ohhhh, that would be great!" ...
Old 12-01-2006, 11:57 PM   #36
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
I read murder mysteries with the same intentions
LOL Elf!!!!!
Old 12-02-2006, 12:58 AM   #37
Senior Cook

It does depend on the instructor. I once attended a set of classes where the instructor (a woman, by the way) said, in a very haughty tone, that no great cooking was ever done by mothers cooking for their families. I happened to be a young mother at the time, and I shot back, "I guess that depends on your definition of great cooking." She was distinctly unhappy with me from that moment onwards...
Old 12-02-2006, 01:38 AM   #38
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanFrench
It does depend on the instructor. I once attended a set of classes where the instructor (a woman, by the way) said, in a very haughty tone, that no great cooking was ever done by mothers cooking for their families. I happened to be a young mother at the time, and I shot back, "I guess that depends on your definition of great cooking." She was distinctly unhappy with me from that moment onwards...
...Sounds like someone who was pretty unhappy with herself, as well...
Old 12-02-2006, 11:24 AM   #39
Senior Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FraidKnot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstix
I've taken one of these before at a fancy hotel along the Chao Praya river. (This was long before I moved to Thailand.)
Hey! I lived in Bangkok once upon a time! I was a kid, 9 years old, so obviously I wasn't taking a cooking course. Sorry to sort of hijack the thread but I definitely had fun shopping at the Pratunam market and (can't remember what they call it) the "Sunday Market" in the company of our cook, Alum, or her daughter, Dook. We were military, so obviously we were the rich "falangs" If you get a chance, maybe tell me if the house we rented is still there. Bon Nung, Soi Ekamai (soi hok sip sam). Across the street from the lumber yard and the Imperial bowling alley.

The great thing about this experience was it taught me (and in fact they taught me so in Thai language class at school, the International School of Bangkok) the value of the barter system. I wish I could go into a supermarket in the U.S. or even a farmer's market and not pay "sticker price". 5 baht? No, 2 baht! and settle on 3 baht. All's fair in food and cooking!

Fraidy
Old 12-02-2006, 05:31 PM   #40
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FraidKnot
... the "Sunday Market" in the company of our cook, Alum, or her daughter, Dook. We were military, so obviously we were the rich "falangs" If you get a chance, maybe tell me if the house we rented is still there. Bon Nung, Soi Ekamai (soi hok sip sam). Across the street from the lumber yard and the Imperial bowling alley.
Fraidy
Fraidy, by "Sunday Market" do you mean the 'Weekend market"? If so that would be the Chatuchak or Jatujak Market: A huge sprawling spread of stalls selling anything and everything under the sun -- antiques, amulets, furniture, souvenirs, fashion, fake flowers, ceramics, dried food to marine aquarium fish, pure-bred puppies, pet fashion, the list goes on forever.

Ekamai is not too far from where I am. I'm on Sukhumvit (Soi Yi Sip Si). I'll try to remember your address just in case I'm in that area...