"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 09-29-2014, 07:54 PM   #1
Certified Cake Maniac

Has it become Mealless Monday? Sept. 29/14

No one eating today? Or did I just miss the thread?

I am having spaghetti squash with some of the leftover putenesca sauce from last night. I have to skip the shaved parmesan and the Caesar salad though because I didn't react well. Instead I am having a kale salad with strawberries, pecans and red onion.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:13 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Not mealless here.

We had Cornish game hens cooked on the rotisserie. They were stuffed under the skin of the breast with fresh rosemary. I served a casserole of mixed rice with olive oil, along with buttered green peas as the green side. Iced tea to drink and we finished with the last of the fresh raspberry cake.

Old 09-29-2014, 08:17 PM   #3
Master Chef

Roast chicken, cabbage au gratin and cabbage salad.

Time for a new cabbage!
Old 09-29-2014, 08:27 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

I just finished a dinner of a loin pork chop I brined and grilled. It was accompanied by baby spinach sautéed with mushrooms, shallots and garlic.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:36 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

I had a meeting this evening, so I had a pulled pork taco with some of the leftover seasoned refried beans before I left.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:56 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Had a great meal tonight. Had dinner with my mother, GF, and my two brothers out at the cabin. Thankful for the bounty of local food available.

We had mesclun mix w/ shredded roast duck, beetroot, heirloom tomato, garlic vinaigrette.

My contribution was rack of lamb, one I picked up from a Charlevoix trip that I marinated with my brother's garlic and Greek oregano. Stuffed Spanish onions with a dressing of fresh bread crumbs, local wild mushrooms, shallots, garlic, and too much butter. Small potatoes, that we got from an old family friend, fried in a pie pan w/ some of the duck fat and rosemary.

Finished it off with apple crisp, and vanilla ice cream.

Never did get any photos. My phone was in my pants. Long story.....
Old 09-29-2014, 09:03 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Leftover roast chicken, garlic mashed potatoes and gravy tonight. And scrounged-from-the-garden salad...kale, chard, mustard greens, cherry tomatoes, perpetual spinach, carrots, broccoli and red cabbage.

I got a few ground cherries before they froze. I've never tried them before....interesting flavor. Making a gr. cherry clafouti for dessert. We'll see how that goes...
Old 09-29-2014, 09:10 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Had a great meal tonight. Had dinner with my mother, GF, and my two brothers out at the cabin. Thankful for the bounty of local food available.

We had mesclun mix w/ shredded roast duck, beetroot, heirloom tomato, garlic vinaigrette.

My contribution was rack of lamb, one I picked up from the Charlevoix trip that I marinated with my brother's garlic and Greek oregano. Stuffed Spanish onions with a dressing of fresh bread crumbs, local wild mushrooms, shallots, garlic, and too much butter. Small potatoes, that we got from an old family friend, grilled in a pie pan w/ some of the duck fat and rosemary.

Finished it off with apple crisp, and vanilla ice cream.

Never did get any photos. My phone was in my pants. Long story.....
i've never had a stuffed onion. how do you make them?

also, why weren't you wearing pants?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:22 PM   #9
Head Chef

Not a whole lot of meat but bacon in potato/leek soup from the freezer with fresh homemade pretzel breadsticks, and peach cobbler and ice cream for dessert.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:24 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
i've never had a stuffed onion. how do you make them?

also, why weren't you wearing pants?
My mother gave me a huge onion she bought at a local farm last week. I cut the ends off, the cut it in half. Took the insides out so I had two large onion bowls. Filled it with the dressing then drowned it in olive oil, wrapped it in foil, and set it in the back of his charcoal grill to bake. After it became soft, I unwrapped it and pulled it over the heat to brown/char up. Quartered them and served on the platter of goodies.

The pants? Well, the weather has been all over the place lately so I over dressed. It turned out to be a hot day so my bro lent me some shorts...I spent the afternoon in a baggy and unflattering pair of bright red jogging shorts...