Heirloom (Holiday) Recipes to Share?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

*amy*

Washing Up
This is the perfect time of year for preparing (heirloom) foods/recipes that have been handed down from one generation to another, that always appear on your table. We have members here from all over the globe. Anyone care to share you family (holiday) faves?

Not saying I like this but every Christmas Eve. my dad has to have his fried smelts. Dredged in flour, s&p and fried in oil.

My family has been making this every winter for about 30 years. It's made from actual snow from the ground. We had our first snow today and I made some and taught my niece the recipe. it turned out GREAT.

Snow Cream

About 12 cups of good fresh snow
1 12 ounce can of condensed milk
1 cup confectioners sugar
1 tablespoons of Almond extract
2 tablespoons of Rum flavor
3 tablespoons of Vanilla extract
a few dashes of pumpkin pie spice

In your bowl full of snow fold in the sugar, vanilla, rum and almond.
pour the milk in, stir until mixed all together. the snow should melt down at this point to about half the amount you started with. (which is why you need so much to start)
stir in the pumpkin pie spice.

Cover the bowl, sit in freezer for about 20 minutes.
then have at it! :)

Last edited:
In our home, birthdays,Christmas, Thanksgiving,Easter, are all celebrated with homemade ravioli and gravy..also included are artichokes,garbanzo's stuffed onions and zucchini,rice torta,foccacia,..I learned these recipes for my DH so he could still have the things his mom use to make for her boys..
kadesma

Mom's famous pumpkin and pecan pies----she's passed on but sweet memories of her linger behind...........(she could also roll out 8 pie shells with her arms tied behind her back and blindfolded!)

As Lyndalou said, Canadian Meat Pies, except I now make them into turnovers.

Tourtiere Turnovers

1 lb ground pork
1/2 cup stock
1 large onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp salt (I usually add more at the end)
Freshly ground pepper
1/2 tsp each thyme, sage and dry mustard
1 medium potato, cooked and mashed

If you have Savoury, add it in. I also like to add just a bit of cloves. Just a bit.

Combine all, except the potato. Simmer, uncovered about 25 minutes or until most of the liquid is evaporated, stirring often. Remove from heat. Stir in potato. Once cool, check again for seasoning. It needs to be really well seasoned. I like to add fresh sage and thyme at this point. Chill.

For the dough.

4 cups flour
1 lb butter
1 cup sour cream

Cut the cold butter into the flour until it resembles that small stuff. Add the sour cream, and blend. It won't come together all that well, but that's fine. Place in ziplock bag, work it a bit until it comes together, and chill.

Roll out dough. Cut into 3 in circles. Martini glass works well. Add 2 tsp meat mixture. Fold over, seal the edges well with water. Place on ungreased sheet. Brush with egg wash. Cook at 375 for 15-20 minutes. They freeze really well.

My family makes lebkuchen cookies. We only make a batch every other year because it is a big recipe and the cookies last forever frozen. My sisters and I try to get together to make it and then divide up the cookies to take home. They take about a week or more to cure before they are ready to eat so we usually make them around Thanksgiving and let them cure. Then we frost and decorate them.

Our Christmas eve is always fried codfish cakes and oyster stew.
It's funny how many long lost relatives show up!:LOL:

vidalia onion casserole

(I either save some vidalia's for the holiday season or sometimes I can get some sweet onions that work well also. Recently I couldn't find either, but was determined to make the dish so I used regular onions and added a dash of sugar, it came out just fine.)

Chop the onions into really thin rings, as thin as you can get. I use about 5 vidalia or 8 regular size onions. Put plenty of butter in with the onions and saute until very wilted and transparent. You will use a slotted spoon to scoop out the onions so you don't have to worry about the amount of butter you use as long as there is enough for the onions to simmer in.

In a casserole dish layer as directed below. You can put as many layers as you want just end with the crackers.

onion
grated (fresh) parmesan cheese
crushed ritz crackers

onion
grated parmesan cheese
crushed ritz crackers

ect.

ect.

finish with ritz. Bake uncovered at 350 for about 25-30 minutes until ritz just start to brown and casserole is heated through.

I have been working for the past few years to copy my boyfriend's grandmother's noodle recipe. She has tried to give the recipe to me a few times, but I know she is leaving something out, or it is easier for her to make it from sight and has trouble verbalizing the recipe. I only see her for a few hours every other year or so, but eventually I'll get it down. I almost got it this year and as soon as I get it right I'll post it. It's a noodle recipe rolled very thin that is dried with flour on it then it is simmered in turkey broth until noodles are done. It comes out like a noodle gravy that we pour on top of our mashed potatoes. Nothin like double carbs for the Holiday's :)

My in-laws always went to midnight service followed by Santa Claus, followed by a large meal that frequently ended sometime around 4:30 to 5:00 AM. It included tourtiere pie, seafood chowder, devilled eggs, and Mincemeat pie. I think there were other things, but these were the ones I truly loved.

I recently had a cousin's husband email me for a tourtiere recipe. He is compiling a few. How funny. I haven't seen him since I was a teenager! He said he'd email me with the recipes he gets from everyone in the family. How great!

Back
Top Bottom