"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 06-16-2007, 11:37 AM   #11
Executive Chef

An added thought. If two chickens are too large for the pan, two cornish game hens might work. Enjoy!

Old 06-16-2007, 12:12 PM   #12
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
caine cacciatore, either veal or chicken, is definitely on the list of things to make. do you make it with chicken on the bone, or boneless? and what kind of mushrooms do you use? (you seem like a real funghi! ) i prefer sliced baby bellas over white.
Normally I use a whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces, but this time I just happened to be Legs & Thighs man because my local market had legs or thighs in 8 piece packages for 99 cents a pound. But I never, ever would use boneless chicken parts for cacciatore. Mushrooms, I have to go with what happens to be available at the time I'm shopping. Usually whites or creminis. I save the portabellas for dishes that need something really meaty added.

Old 06-16-2007, 12:36 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

thanks caine. agreed about the bone-in chicken for cacciatore. for veal, i like to use shoulder and neck, with the bones tossed in as well.

i think creminis, or criminis, are the same as baby bellas.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 01:38 PM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

I like bone-in thighs for cacciatore as well. They always come out moist and succulent.
Old 06-16-2007, 01:41 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
the rest of the pork will be cubed and made into souvlaki on the grill. hmmm, does the term souvlaki mean the way it's served, with greek-ish salad on a pita with tsatsiki? or is it just the name for grilled and or marinated chunks of meat?

anyone? anyone? beuhler?
BT, the term souvlaki refers to the cubed and skewered meat. It can be served in a variety of ways, one of them being what you mentioned. Another way is to wrap the meat in the pita after adding a bit of tzatziki, onion and tomato slices, just like Gyros.

In Greece, when it is served as a meal, it is accompanied by fried potatoes only, the salad being a separate order. I do think the way you suggest is definitely healthier. Do marinate the meat with spices such as salt, pepper, thyme and a bit of lemon juice. You should allow for enough time before grilling to let the spices penetrate into the meat.
Old 06-16-2007, 02:01 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

boufa, what can i say. efharisto poli.

{{{{{{doing greek dance with handkerchief}}}}}}}}

i am going to marinate pork and chicken cubes for the grill as you've suggested, and will probably make them for sunday's dinner.

for tourists and new yawkuhs alike, some of the best souvlaki, served wrapped in pita with chopped greek salad, steak fries and piaz (bean salad) is at an ecclectic little place across from the beacon theatre, on broadway (southbound) between 76th and 77th.
apparently, it's the real deal.

Old 06-17-2007, 12:39 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Hey, Bucky! If it's just you, your wife, and daughter, maybe a small batch of Beef Stroganoff?

I've been grilling just about every time I cook these days, with the warm weather and all, so I'm kind of lost when I want to deglaze a pan.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:16 AM   #18
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
oh man! thanks a million, chef june.

i wuv wabbit. i'll have to make it and not tell the wife what it is until she has a few bites.

and the pearl onions in the sauce does it for me. thanks again.

btw, where do you get your rabbit? in the city, or in joisey? i have to see if the goffle road poultry farm sells fresh rabbit.
I get my rabbits from a farmer at the Union Square Greenmarket who is from upstate New York. I think I remember that Griggstown Quail Farm has them, tho.. Is that anywhere near you?
Old 07-13-2007, 02:19 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

thanks chefjune. i'll have to take a trip down to union square on a saturday. i wonder if they'll remember me, in union square?

tell all the gang on 42nd street, that i will soon be theeeeeeeere!

sorry, i broke into song and dance there for a second.

(yes, i know it's herald square.)

so far, in my new pan i've made cicken cacciatore (thanks caine ), with floured chicken thighs, eggplant, mushrooms, onions, fresh rosemary and parsley, and of course, tomatoes to make the sauce. it was the best chicken "catch" i've made to date.

also, my first risotto, also delicious. btw, how do you not keep tasting your risotto to make sure it's done, and end up eating half of it. i kinda liked it as it went throught the stages of crunchy to just right.

Old 07-13-2007, 06:20 PM   #20
Executive Chef

anything (chicken pork veal swordfish even) alla Milanese ... pound, flour egg breadcrumb (panko with parmesan is awsome) shallow pan fry till crisy ... squeeze of lemon, a light tomato sauce, or a light vinegrette over pasta or mixed greens either cold or sauteed. so good and quick