"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 05-21-2014, 08:38 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Herbs and spices, and extracts, oh my! (Wed., May 21, 2014)

Curious, what herbs, spices, and or extracts did you use to flavor your dishes today?

I sprinkled cinna-cream sprinkles on my old fashioned oats this morning.
For lunch, topped hard boiled eggs with sea salt and paprika.
And for dinner, prepared parmesan meatballs with dried parsley and garlic.

Looking forward to seeing how everyone else uses herbs, spices, and extracts.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:16 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by newjuliea View Post
Curious, what herbs, spices, and or extracts did you use to flavor your dishes today?

I sprinkled cinna-cream sprinkles on my old fashioned oats this morning.
For lunch, topped hard boiled eggs with sea salt and paprika.
And for dinner, prepared parmesan meatballs with dried parsley and garlic.

Looking forward to seeing how everyone else uses herbs, spices, and extracts.
It depends on what I'm cooking. Some meats, for example, have affinities with particular herbs - rosemary or mint with lamb, sage with pork and duck, thyme and parsley with chicken, fennel or dill with fish, etc.

In my herb/spice drawer I have thyme, bay, rosemary, French tarragon, lemon myrtle, oregano and marjoram. (I have most of these in the garden for the summer.) I also have dried mint for use in North African cooking. I also have Hungarian and Spanish paprika, fennel seeds, allspice, mixed spice (like apple pie spice I think), ginger, whole coriander seed and powdered coriander, cumin seeds and powder, cardamom seeds, star anise, saffron, turmeric, fenugreek, cloves, caraway seed, mango powder, kalongi (nigella seeds, used in Indian cooking) and Chinese 5 spice powder.

I don't bother with dried basil or parsley as they don't keep their flavour well when dried.

I make my own vanilla extract and buy true almond and peppermint extracts. I also have Worcestershire sauce, fish sauce, Heinz tomato ketchup which I use as an ingredient, different types of vinegar and tomato puree.

Hope that helps

Old 05-21-2014, 09:26 PM   #3
Head Chef

I use a fair amount of cumin seed, pizza, tagines, etc., whole and finely ground. Sage, rosemary and thyme from the garden. I like rosemary in olive oil flatbread. Fish sauce (the Romans knew). And, while arguably not a spice, MSG. Also, a mysterious Indian spice mix for which I can't remember the ingredients. Oh, and my favorite extract, flori di sicilia.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:46 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Today--frozen fennugreek leaves (my new favourite "green" veggie), smoked alderwood sea salt, my friend's gama marsala, roasted cumin and coriander seeds. A fresh bay leaf added to the potatoes while boiling them. My eggs this morning had Frank's Hot sauce on them. My fruit salad at lunch had black pepper, fresh mint, and fresh French tarragon, fresh lime juice and lime zest, a bit of pomegranate syrup. I can't begin to say what is in my spice cupboard...suffice it to say, I have LOTS of options for seasoning, but very few pre-blended options.

I did get some new sea salts this week from The Spice Lab (thespicelab.com):

Oak smoked cyprus sea salt
Smoked serrano chili infused sea salt
Vanilla bean bourbon infused sea salt
Cyprus mushroom flake sea salt

Tags
herbs, spices