Hey Good Lookin', Whatcha Got Cookin'? Monday Feb 27

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
lamb stew with barley and kale plus the usual suspects. Had some bones in the freezer. I couldn't resist :)

How is a fricassee different from a stew?

Well. it's not a Classical French Fricassee.. Normally chicken with Cream/milk/etc.~~

It's a Cajun Version....Where any meat, (sometimes seafood) is stewed in a medium dark roux based gravy. It can and often does have the usual suspects..lotsa onion, bell pepper, a little celery sometimes, lotsa garlic, etc, etc. and is served over rice...Bonus points if ya have hot biscuits to sop up da gravy :yum: ~~ I think of a Stew having carrots and potatoes, etc..

Well. it's not a Classical French Fricassee.. Normally chicken with Cream/milk/etc.~~

It's a Cajun Version....Where any meat, (sometimes seafood) is stewed in a medium dark roux based gravy. It can and often does have the usual suspects..lotsa onion, bell pepper, a little celery sometimes, lotsa garlic, etc, etc. and is served over rice...Bonus points if ya have hot biscuits to sop up da gravy :yum: ~~ I think of a Stew having carrots and potatoes, etc..

Thank you. I guess it's a subset of stew :LOL:

Hamburger Steak with Onions/Mushrooms and Gravy.
Mashed Potatoes
Broccoli
Garden Salad
Fruit later for dessert

Attachments

• DSC00353.jpg
    DSC00353.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 155
I had two bowls of broccoli soup. Thanks LPB for the inspiration and tips on how not to overcook the broccoli. It's pretty good, but DH hated it. Says it's bitter - I can't taste bitter in this soup. I added a splash of dry vermouth to the second bowl of soup, which was quite interesting. I'm thinking of maybe having another bowl of soup.

I made a beef, cashew, and snap pea stir fry. I found a big bag of snap peas at Costco.

Back
Top Bottom