Hey Good Lookin', Whatcha Got Cookin'? Monday Feb 27

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm cooking Shake 'n Bake chicken. I'd share the recipe but it's a family secret. ;) Actually I can't recall my mother ever cooking it. I think I discovered Shake 'n Bake after I moved out on my own. (Last century.)

Shake 'n Bake chicken is a comfort food for me. I really need some of that comfort tonight. Cold, chilly weather outside....

On my way home from work in a few moments here I'm stopping at Trader Joe's and picking up a thing of marinated flat iron steak, some asparagus, and a bottle of cheap red wine for this evening's dinner. I get to dine in peace and finish the whole bottle as my wife is out of town.

I just got done sugaring some sliced strawberries, a bowl of those and some leftover fried rice with fish.

I made a good casserole tonight. It was a basic mac & cheese with a can of Rotel tomatoes, ham cubes, chopped spinach and topped with buttered Panko crumbs.

Attachments

• P2270245.jpg
    P2270245.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 159
I'm cooking Shake 'n Bake chicken. I'd share the recipe but it's a family secret. ;) Actually I can't recall my mother ever cooking it. I think I discovered Shake 'n Bake after I moved out on my own. (Last century.)

Shake 'n Bake chicken is a comfort food for me. I really need some of that comfort tonight. Cold, chilly weather outside....

That is a comfort food for me as well. Mom used to make both Shake 'n Bake chicken and S 'n B pork chops.

I make my own with cornmeal, herbs and spices. It's always different. We love the crispy skin. Mashed potatoes and boiled veg. Classic around here that I grew up on.

I've made my own copycat Shake 'n Bake too, currently not completely happy with my recipe and intending to get back to it one day soon. My challenge was to exactly reproduce the Kraft product from the ingredients list on the package, without referring to other copycat recipes on the Internet. I still haven't perfected it. I could probably make something better if I just threw away their ingredient list. :)

And then there's the Oatmeal Oven Fried Chicken recipe I recently posted here on the forum.

Currently I'm just using Kraft's product. It's ridiculously expensive.

Last edited:
I make my own with cornmeal, herbs and spices. It's always different. We love the crispy skin. Mashed potatoes and boiled veg. Classic around here that I grew up on.

I just use wheat flour. Yes, different each time, but yum.

Today, since I'm doing low carb, I skipped the flour. The skin wasn't as crispy as I would have liked, but it was an easy snack, one drumstick and a thigh sprinkled with smoked paprika, garlic powder, and onion powder. 25 minutes in the oven at 350F.

Back
Top Bottom