Hey Good Lookin', Whatcha Got Cookin'? Monday Feb 27

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LPBeier

Certified Cake Maniac
Moderator Emeritus
Today is vegetarian day.

I am about to put on a pot of broccoli soup for lunch and we are having black bean, corn and quinoa dish for dinner. The corn is from a leftover cob I cooked last night with the baby back ribs.

What have you got cookin'

Today is vegetarian day.

I am about to put on a pot of broccoli soup for lunch and we are having black bean, corn and quinoa dish for dinner. The corn is from a leftover cob I cooked last night with the baby back ribs.

What have you got cookin'

I have always been leery of broccoli soup. I don't much like overcooked broccoli. Do you have a way to keep it from getting overcooked?

I grilled some Italian sausages yesterday and will incorporate them into a dish with onion and garlic, tomato and okra.

I have always been leery of broccoli soup. I don't much like overcooked broccoli. Do you have a way to keep it from getting overcooked?
I always start my broccoli off in stock - usually chicken, but today is vegetable - and just enough to cover the bottom about 2" so it steams more than boils. I also keep it in large crowns with small amounts of stem attached. I cook it until tender crisp and then remove one medium crown per serving and set aside. I add cream and/or milk and cook until heated through. Then I use an emersion or regular blender to puree it but not until totally smooth. I want small pieces of broccoli in it. I serve with the saved broccoli crowns on top, cut into bite sized pieces.

This is just the way I have come to make it. I don't like my broccoli too soft either as it seems to change the taste. Even though I puree it, it seems to make a difference steaming it in the stock first. Also, it gives more flavour than water and doesn't contain so much milk.

Thanks LPB, I'll have to give that a try. I have three broccoli heads in the fridge that need to have something done with them soon. I was planning beef with broccoli for some of it and then I got ill. I'm just not up for finding the right piece of beef to defrost, cutting it into strips and then velveting it.

I hope you are starting to feel better soon TL. This bout is pretty bad. I have to stay healthy as we can't take any bugs up to Dad. I have been downing the echanacea and Vitamin C like crazy! But I know that doesn't help with the lurgy.

Hope you enjoy your soup. :)

I think tonight will be french onion soup and some kind of sandwich or salad. I get home on the bus midafternoon so I don't have a ton of time to prep.

Won Ton Soup

just had the most amazing bowl of won ton soup, my mom made it :yum:

I had some more restaurant curry gravy leftover from yesterday so just fried up some chicken, whizzed some cashew nuts in the blender with a little garlic oil added to the chicken, stirred in the sauce and added a generous helping of cream at the end, sprinkled with finely chopped coriander and red chillis and had myself a quick chicken korma:chef:

Cleaning the carpets and drapes today. Fun eh'?

It's left overs here. Salad for me, the kids can make paninni's, or pizza's. They get the easy jobs. Cleaning out the fridge.:rolleyes:

Ooh! I like a good spinach salad.

There used to be a nice little quiche shop where I live that served a spinach salad with an amazing mustard vinaigrette that I've never been able to duplicate.

I think it had a bit of parmesan and white wine in it but I can't be sure.

Ooh! I like a good spinach salad.

There used to be a nice little quiche shop where I live that served a spinach salad with an amazing mustard vinaigrette that I've never been able to duplicate.

I think it had a bit of parmesan and white wine in it but I can't be sure.

I love mustard vinaigrette, I have been trying to come up with a perfect recipe for it.

Roasted chicken (brined for most of the day), mashed Yukon gold potatoes and roasted carrots. My other half requested a non-starchy vegetable but I forgot to go buy one, oops!

Got a lot of odds and ends of cheese I've been grating and am going to make pasta with a cheese sauce. Probably broccoli as the side.

Back
Top Bottom