History of sauces

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leaf Storm

Senior Cook
Found this article very interesting on the history of sauces! :) I hope you find it interesting and informative as I did! :)

Although this article does claim that mayonnaise is French. I'm claiming it's Spanish!!! The French invaded Spain and made invented it while they were there? yeah... right :D More like they invaded and they GOT it from there.

The History of Sauces by Linda Stradley

Last edited by a moderator:
My culinary vocabulary and understanding is grateful to you, Leaf Storm, for its grown in reading this offering!

Thank you for posting this! ;)

Found this article very interesting on the history of sauces! :) I hope you find it interesting and informative as I did! :)

Although this article does claim that mayonnaise is French. I'm claiming it's Spanish!!! The French invaded Spain and made invented it while they were there? yeah... right :D More like they invaded and they GOT it from there.

The History of Sauces by Linda Stradley
To narrow it down even further, mayonnaise is Menorquin. It gets its name from the capital of Menorca - Mahon - and there it's called "mahonnaise" and woe betide you if you dare to suggest to a Menorcan that it's French. They'd agree with you that the French stole it!

Until I ate in Menorca I had only had mayo with salad - England being what it was for cuisine in the 1970s - but in Menorca they served it with meat,in particular with pork. Yum.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom