Holiday smells from mom's kitchen?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Janet H

Certifiable Executive Chef
Staff member
When I was a kid the kitchen was a central player in holiday events. The enticing scents of cookies for parties, fruitcakes and pies for neighbors and great meals all wafted through the house and to this day some smells still remind me of being a kid.

We used to make clove covered oranges and this in particular I associate with Christmas. So today I made one for the first time in years; my hands smell great and my thumbs are sore from the sharp cloves but it was worth it. My kitchen smells so good.

What holiday scents push your olfactory buttons?

Attachments

• orange.jpg
    orange.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
The smell of hot spiced cider, my dad's Tom and Jerry's, the yeasty smell of bread baking, cookies, turkey..and of course the smell of the pine Christmas tree.
kades

The smell of Onion, Celery, and Bell Pepper simmering in Chicken stock on Christmas Eve....To go into the cornbread dressing the next morning!

The smell of a a huge Cedar Christmas tree in the house.....

Fruit Cake, and the "naughty" smell of Whiskey in the cake bringing a smile to everyone's face.....:)

i like thanksgiving aromas, gravy mainly. Christmas dinner is ham, & i dislike ham.

:LOL: @ Alix's reaction to the smell of lutefisk..

I would have to say breakfast on Christmas morning... the bacon, toast, fresh cinnamon rolls, etc.

Merry Christmas all. It smells like the holiday sin here. Warm chocolate and butter smells from the baking, the smell of onions and poultry seasoning as the stuffing gets put together. MMMMM! I can hardly wait til dinner now and its only 7:30!

Back
Top Bottom