Home cooking is on the decline

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've told my son (who is now in his thirties) had he been a "fussy eater" he would not have survived. I think catering to such behavior creates food monsters!

This is kind of a double-edged sword for me.

On one hand, I know exactly what kitkit is saying, because I've started writing an outline for a cookbook, focusing on singles and couple, living on a budget, and hopefully not spending all day in the kitchen.

I completely agree that folks really need to learn to cook from scratch, or at least knock out as much "convience" foods as they can from their diets.

I also agree that folks out there have to "want" to learn how to cook. Most kids these days were brought up on Hamburger Helper, Mac-n-Cheese, Ramen Noodles, etc. It's hard to get away from that.

On the other hand, though, since I actually work in a restaurant, the fact that people are willing to pay to eat a meal they didn't cook is how I make my living. If I actually publish a cookbook that encourages people to cook for themselves, am I putting myself out of a job? I doubt it, since the folks that are members of the country club I work at can afford to go out and pay good money for gourmet cooking.

kit-kit, this is not all true. i am young at almost 24 and i cook great meals. often. my friends can cook, too.
i don't lack for knowledge in the kitchen, lol.
5.gif

Last edited:
Allen, I think you are in no danger whatsoever! No matter how simple you make it, you won't put yourself out of business. Look how the food network has become advertising for restaurants and cooking for dummies, yet no one actually cooks at home who didn't before. People start to cook at home for various reasons ... one of my sisters actually put her foot down and started cooking and telling her husband and sons, eat it or don't. But it still is a frustration for her. My other two sisters simply don't bother. If your spouse is a fussy eater, you don't stand a chance with your children, you're a victim before you start, so why bother?

I, too, have a cookbook in word processing ... NO INTENTIONS of publishing, just something for freinds and family who are always asking me how I do it. There are only 2 of us and I cook at least one meal a day from scratch, have a dinner party at least once a month, and two big parties a year. I don't find it difficult at all. Time consuming, but then what else do I have to do? My greatest love is having guests who truly enjoy eating a variety of food. My sister visited a few weeks ago, and I'd honestly forgotten how much fun it is to have someone who sits down the the table, has very few dislikes, can eat her fill (of course she's a marathon runner), and just loves whatever you put down. With guests like her, everyone would love cooking.

Well, in a way I consider myself a fussy eater. There are things I just don't like. I'm sure that applies to each of us though. =) So the things I don't like are not things I cook. haha My son said he had to join the Army in order to be fed peas ... I hate them and never, ever cooked them even once in the 19 years my son lived at home. LOL So it's hard for me to be unsympathetic towards those who don't like certain types of stuff.

I think the biggest problem is that a drive-through becomes an easy way to avoid hassles at meal times. I never ever fought about food with my son, probably because I have a very vivid memory of being forced to sit at the table with cold, nasty, creamed / scalloped corn on my plate and could not leave until it was gone. How silly is that?? It wasn't about me eating healthy, it was a power struggle. I just refused to do that with my son.

My solution to the fussy eating stuff was simple ~ if he didn't like what I made he was free to go make himself something else. =) And since junk food was a treat at our house he didn't have much choice other than to choose something at least halfway good; we didn't have a panty full of chips and raman and mac&cheese. But then again, I was the one who let him eat left over dinner for breakfast just so he'd eat something before he went to school in the morning! haha

I think the demise of true cooking pretty much reflects the demise of people spending time, true quality time, with their families. Everyone is in such a hurry these days that they don't have "time" to cook. Driving kids from school to a sports event to a dance lesson and then lording over them at the kitchen table while they do homework doesn't equal spending time with them.

There was an interesting story in the Seattle Times that followed several families in the LA area for a couple years, typical families where it was rush-rush-go-gotta-go. They found some disturbing stuff ... family members don't even bother to acknowledge one another anymore. :neutral: It's like we're visitors in one another's lives instead of meaningful people.

bleh, this got long. haha But it's just a subject that's near and dear to my heart. We wonder why people feel lost and lonely and aimless when we do very little really and truly reach out to one another in meaningful ways, because we're "too busy". Cooking just seems such a simple way to say that you love someone, kind of like saying they are worth the time you spend in the kitchen. It matters very much to me what the people in my house eat, be it family or friends. =)

:heart:
Z

Last edited:
Thank you, Claire. Honestly, I think there are enough lazy folks out there that I'll always have a job somewhere cooking food.

Zereh, I also know what you mean about fussy eaters. My oldest stepson, who is 10, and autistic, has a thing about only eating meat. Getting him to eat veggies and starch (other than mac-and-cheese) is like trying to pull teeth. Lord help me when I make Clam Chowder or Chicken Noodle Soup, as he'd rather go hungry than eat it. My MIL and DW seem to have resorted to your approach of "if he doesn't eat it, let him make a PB&J". I'd prefer he eats something other than junk food. However, the autism reinforces his eating habits to the point of insanity.

I love to cook and cook, as most of you know, a gourmet meal every night. I sometimes spend time going thru my cookbooks to find a different recipe. I have a herb garden which is use daily. To my joy, now that my daughter is engaged, she is interested in cooking. She calls me nearly every day for how to cook something for her fiance. He says she is a wonderful cook, and I keep her secret that she is calling me. I am so delighted she is cooking and doing a good job, she is even getting creative. Makes up a recipe and calls me to ask my opinion. Really makes the momi proud.:chef:

I love to cook with my 7 year old niece! I learned to cook from my parents and grand parents and now I get to pass on the cooking knowledge to Haley. She loves to help (although she gets impatient), she's a Chef in training! :chef:

I'm still trying to teach our youngest how to make pizza from scratch. His dough is a killer. I thought my first doughs were bad. After the dummy spit he's off. Reckons it's easier & quicker to get a T/A pizza (Macca's or KFC). Luckily he's very active or else he'd be the size of a house.

I maintain it's not as nice as 'homegrown' and more expensive. He has no answers except for lack of time.

A meal out over here would cost about $50 (ex drinks), to do the same at home would be about $15 (inc beer). Chalk & cheese to me.

Daughter has a hard time with grilled cheese on toast let alone a full meal. Has plenty of excuses though like "my hotplates are different to yours", "haven't got the right pots", couldn't find the right ingredients down at Woolies". She rang up and asked how to light her oven, I told her that she had an electric stove. "Ok," she said, "How do I light it?" I kid you not. And she's not blonde.

Sort of makes you think about the computer helpline operator who got a call from a customer complaining the her computer had frozen. He asked her what was on the screen at the moment. "Nothing," she said "it's blank." He told her to press <ctrl><alt><delete> altogether. This she did. Again he asked her if there was anything on the screen. She told him it hadn't changed. He asked her to check the power light on the front of the computer box. She told him she couldn't find it. She then told the operator that all the lights in the office were out because they were in the middle of a blackout & had no power.

The operator told her that as soon as the power came back on to go and get all the cartons the computer was shipped in, pack it up and send it back to the retailer. "Why, is the fault that bad?" she asked. "No," he replied "People as stupid as you should be using computers."

:-D

kitkit said:
Hi...
...to develop a product that will encourage/ heighten the frequency of home cooking.
Young people are lack of the basic knowledge of cooking these days. For them, cooking spends too much of their time. This is understably especially for people who are working from 9 am to 8 pm where most of the people i know said they would rather eat out and then enjoy the evening doing something else.
Kitkit

I love this question/topic... and the IDEA of a "product" that would do this is very interesting and thought-provoking.

There is just SO much that is already available to pique interest in cooking that I think this needs to be more of a "movement" than something that can be purchased or something. You point out that people now have less time than they once did... In addition, the AVAILABILITY of food through take-out franchises has never been higher.

Fewer adults seem to have the time to MODEL home cooking skills/passion... I really hate to think about the state of home cooking say 20-30 years further down the road. It may turn out to be more of a "hobby" than it is now.

Knowing my luck, in 20 - 30 years, people will be walking up to a console, punching a button, and saying, "Tea, Earl Grey, hot."

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom