"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 02-21-2007, 03:19 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Hospital Food

BH( Beloved Husband) said they served him mush room soup which was very nice..then chickenn curry with baked beans!!

He wasn't too amused at that! Never heard of baked beans with curry!

The fruit jelly which followed was OK.

Old 02-21-2007, 03:41 PM   #2
Master Chef

Obviously Beloved Husband isn't on a "bland diet" - lol!!! But, baked beans aside, hope he's doing okay medical-wise.

I have a friend in the UK who eats baked beans with almost everything, so perhaps it's a regional thing?

Old 02-21-2007, 04:02 PM   #3
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by csalt
BH( Beloved Husband) said they served him mush room soup which was very nice..then chickenn curry with baked beans!!

What did he choose for his menu? If nothing, they probably just made up a tray from what was available. I see you are in the UK. In the US, hospitals usually give patients menus to choose their meals from--if they are in the hospital longer than a day, which you have to be REALLY sick to be in this day and age.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:07 PM   #4
Head Chef

If you beloved husband checked off what he wanted on his tray for breakfast, lunch and dinner they should have given his what he wanted unless he was on a special diet.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 05:20 PM   #5
Sous Chef

He wasn't admitted in time to 'choose' from the menu so I guess they gave him pot luck. Baked Beans are usually a snack in the UK( e.g. B/B on toast) but those who enjoy their food wouldn't dream of serving them as part of a main meal.
Having said that, supermarkets which serve 'all day' breakfasts invariably ruin them by adding baked beans. You have to specifically state you do not want them I'd prefer blackpudding with a cooked breakfast! Lovely!
With a bit of luck, from tomorrow he may get a menu choice. He wasn't allowed any solids today.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:33 PM   #6
Master Chef

That's it! That's what my UK friend absolutely LOVES: Baked Beans on Toast. She's had them for breakfast/lunch/dinner.

I gotta tell you, that while I do like beans in general, & make savory versions of them frequently, "Baked Beans on Toast" would definitely never make my hit parade - lol!!!
Old 02-21-2007, 07:05 PM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by csalt

He wasn't allowed any solids today.

What kind of liquid foods do you eat in the UK? beans, chicken & curry?
This is the kind of hospital that treats you well.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:53 PM   #8
Senior Cook

For us Quebec folks, baked beans are part of a holiday breakfast! I've never actually had beans in any other context until I moved to Florida. Now since I'm so close to cuba, I've had to expand my bean-horizons! I've actually made curry using just red kidney beans, or beans and potatoes, over rice. I thought it was delicious. Nice end-of-the-month food.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:23 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Chicken curry and baked beans doesnt sound like a good combination to me. Think of the gas he'll have too My hubby is a brit too, and loves his beans on toast and I've grown to like it as well. His favorite and only brand he will eat is Heinz beans. I've been converted from B&M baked beans to Heinz.

Hope your husband is doing better soon
Old 02-22-2007, 03:56 AM   #10
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
Chicken curry and baked beans doesnt sound like a good combination to me. Think of the gas he'll have too My hubby is a brit too, and loves his beans on toast and I've grown to like it as well. His favorite and only brand he will eat is Heinz beans. I've been converted from B&M baked beans to Heinz.

Hope your husband is doing better soon
Amber, indeed Heinz is the ONLY brand worth eating. We've tried others but always revert back. There spaghetti in tomato sauce is also unique.
Next time you have beans on toast, try a little grated cheese on top. Yummy!
But it still makes my hair stand on end to think of affronting a nice curry by combining baked beans with it !
I think I'll maybe have beans on toast when I get home from the hospital tonight. Quick and easy!