Hospital Food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

csalt

Sous Chef
BH( Beloved Husband) said they served him mush room soup which was very nice..then chickenn curry with baked beans!!:mad: :(

He wasn't too amused at that! Never heard of baked beans with curry!:ohmy:

The fruit jelly which followed was OK.:)

Obviously Beloved Husband isn't on a "bland diet" - lol!!! But, baked beans aside, hope he's doing okay medical-wise.

I have a friend in the UK who eats baked beans with almost everything, so perhaps it's a regional thing?

csalt said:
BH( Beloved Husband) said they served him mush room soup which was very nice..then chickenn curry with baked beans!!:mad: :(

What did he choose for his menu? If nothing, they probably just made up a tray from what was available. I see you are in the UK. In the US, hospitals usually give patients menus to choose their meals from--if they are in the hospital longer than a day, which you have to be REALLY sick to be in this day and age.

If you beloved husband checked off what he wanted on his tray for breakfast, lunch and dinner they should have given his what he wanted unless he was on a special diet.

He wasn't admitted in time to 'choose' from the menu so I guess they gave him pot luck. Baked Beans are usually a snack in the UK( e.g. B/B on toast) but those who enjoy their food wouldn't dream of serving them as part of a main meal.
Having said that, supermarkets which serve 'all day' breakfasts invariably ruin them by adding baked beans. You have to specifically state you do not want them I'd prefer blackpudding with a cooked breakfast! Lovely!
With a bit of luck, from tomorrow he may get a menu choice. He wasn't allowed any solids today.

That's it! That's what my UK friend absolutely LOVES: Baked Beans on Toast. She's had them for breakfast/lunch/dinner.

I gotta tell you, that while I do like beans in general, & make savory versions of them frequently, "Baked Beans on Toast" would definitely never make my hit parade - lol!!!

csalt said:

He wasn't allowed any solids today.

:huh: What kind of liquid foods do you eat in the UK? beans, chicken & curry?
This is the kind of hospital that treats you well.

For us Quebec folks, baked beans are part of a holiday breakfast! I've never actually had beans in any other context until I moved to Florida. Now since I'm so close to cuba, I've had to expand my bean-horizons! I've actually made curry using just red kidney beans, or beans and potatoes, over rice. I thought it was delicious. Nice end-of-the-month food.

Chicken curry and baked beans doesnt sound like a good combination to me. Think of the gas he'll have too:LOL: My hubby is a brit too, and loves his beans on toast and I've grown to like it as well. His favorite and only brand he will eat is Heinz beans. I've been converted from B&M baked beans to Heinz.

Hope your husband is doing better soon :)

amber said:
Chicken curry and baked beans doesnt sound like a good combination to me. Think of the gas he'll have too:LOL: My hubby is a brit too, and loves his beans on toast and I've grown to like it as well. His favorite and only brand he will eat is Heinz beans. I've been converted from B&M baked beans to Heinz.

Hope your husband is doing better soon :)

Amber, indeed Heinz is the ONLY brand worth eating. We've tried others but always revert back. There spaghetti in tomato sauce is also unique.
Next time you have beans on toast, try a little grated cheese on top. Yummy!:)
But it still makes my hair stand on end to think of affronting a nice curry by combining baked beans with it !
I think I'll maybe have beans on toast when I get home from the hospital tonight. Quick and easy!

Last edited:
StirBlue said:
He wasn't allowed any solids today.

:huh: What kind of liquid foods do you eat in the UK? beans, chicken & curry?
This is the kind of hospital that treats you well.

Sorry, as uasual I didn't make myself clear. ( I'm a muddled old woman:LOL: )

The curry etc was the day before the op. Yesterday was only fluids. I'll be interested to hear what he had for breakfast when I go to visit.:)

You may have seen on the "Off Topic" thread that our daughter raised merry **** because they ( Ward Staff) initially would not give me any info by telephone! She told them they were causing so much stress they'd have me in there with a heart attack:ohmy: I said to her " darling you make me sound like a doddering old lady on a zimmer frame!" However it worked as they've been very co-operative since then:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom