"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 07-24-2005, 08:32 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

This weather has been brutal hasn't it?!? I think the whole country is having a meltdown. Marinate some boneless chicken breasts & get out the grill. Kabobs are great and of course there's always steak on the grill. How about pulled pork? I did a pork butt/shoulder last week-to die for. Pour worch. sauce all over it, crust it with brown sugar (it's messy-I did it on parchment paper, and put it in the crockpot. Pour about a cup of apple juice in the bottom of crock (not over the meat). Cook on low for about 10 hrs. Shred the meat - put in a casserole with some of the juice & I added 1/2 bottle of Cattlemen's bbq sauce and almost the whole bottle of KC Masterpiece Honey Smoke sauce. Mix together well - Delish!! Use for sandwiches or just the meat with a side green salad or mac or potato salad.

Old 07-24-2005, 08:43 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Here's another hot weather favorite from my house - Italian tomato salad, fresh italian bread for dunking in the juice and a pitcher of red sangria - I'm in heaven!!!

Old 07-25-2005, 12:05 AM   #13
Hospitality Queen

designerobsessed....those sound great......I'll be right over!
Old 07-25-2005, 12:09 AM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenMI
If you are single, or just cooking for two, a Foreman Grill is great. I used to make lots of quesadillas and fajitas using a Foreman Grill.
I forgot about my GF grill. Since my outdoor grill is not buried under 3 feet of snow, I have been using it. But you are right the GF grill would be great in the summer for those who don't have access to an outdoor grill.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 08:12 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkath
designerobsessed....those sound great......I'll be right over!
C'mon over, there's plenty for all.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:16 AM   #16
Senior Cook

Location: Cicero, IL, but my heart is in Virginia where my family lives.
Thanks for all the great ideas. We opted for a tomato salad and I made pasta late last night for salads during the week. It seems my appetite has been light in this hot weather I may spend some time with my popsicle experiments, Sangria sounds good.

Thanks again,
Bryan
Old 07-26-2005, 03:16 PM   #17
Master Chef

Two unusual favorites: Open faced Scandinavian sandwiches. I spread some kind of dense bread (rye or pumpernickel usually) with either cream cheese, sour cream, or ranch dressing. Then each piece gets some sort of the following treatments: cukes, tomatoes, salmon, ham, cheese, capers, dill, pickles ... let your imagination be your guide. Those little loaves of party bread are great. It's cool and refreshing.

The other is one I call summer soup and originates somewhere with MFK Fisher. Heat some light broth/stock (in the microwave folks, this weather is the time to give it a workout). Then on the table place bowls of all sorts of condiments. Cold, slivered meats. Julienned veggies. Chopped herbs. Cold noodles or rice. Anything from the garden. Anything that will fit on a spoon. Great for leftovers!! This will be a warm soup when done, but not over-the-top hot, and very light. Each person takes their bowl of hot stock, and adds what they like.

We had our big cool-down today, so Chicago, be happy, it's on its way.

Hot summer days are just meant for these type of serve-yourself light meals.
Old 07-26-2005, 04:15 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Location: Cicero, IL, but my heart is in Virginia where my family lives.
Pulled pork was something I lived off of after my spiked cedar plank pork loin experiment. I think my pulled pork recipe needs work but it was nice to have ready made sandwich stuff.

Open faced Scandinavian sandwiches sound great, maybe with a tomato salad and Sangria.

The weather is beginning to cool a bit Claire. Maybe my brain will start working again.

Thanks for the ideas,
Bryan
Old 07-26-2005, 05:26 PM   #19
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
Your BBQ is your best friend in hot weather. I have an entire cookbook dedicated to modifying recipes so you can cook them on your BBQ. Mmmmmmmmmmm.
Hmmmmm. Stand outside in 98 degree heat and high humidity cooking on the BBQ or inside my air conditioned house cooking on the stove? I think I will take the air conditioning and stove at this point!

I would like the name of your cookbook though, Alix.

Barbara
Old 07-26-2005, 09:01 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to SpiceUmUp
ya know what I make for dinner on a hot night like this? a call to the local take out place!