Hot Weather Cooking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did You Know?

If you invest in a pressure cooker you can keep the heat out of the kitchen and have your entree cooked most times in about 30 minutes.

Beef Ribs

3-lb. Beef Short Ribs

1 large Onion, coarsely chopped

1 to 2 cups Birds-eye Stir-Fry Peppers

1 cup of your Favorite Barbecue Sauce

1 cup Beef Broth, canned or homemade

2 Tbsp. Olive Oil

Salt and Pepper, to taste

Add oil to hot pressure cooker. Add a few ribs at a time and brown well. Remove ribs from pot to a plate, set aside. Add onions and peppers and stir-fry 2 minutes. Re-move with a slotted spoon to dish. Add ribs back to pot. Pour onions and peppers over ribs. Pour sauce and beef broth you have mixed together over ribs and veggies. Salt and pepper.

Put lid on pressure cooker and lock down. Bring up to full pressure. When you reach full pressure ajust your heat until you get a medium rocking. Start timing now and cook for 25 minutes. Let pressure come down naturally by removing pot from burner or use rapid release method by putting pressure cooker in sink and running cold water over lid of pressure cooker until the hissing stops completely and no more steam is being released. Open lid and test for doneness, if more cooking is needed to get meat as done as you like it. Wipe seal off and refit lid to pressure cooker locking it down. Preceed with instructions above on how to bring uo pressure and cook. Five more minutes may be all you need.

New pressure cookers do not have that weight you put on top that scares people half to death. I cook my food in the morning. When it's cool I refrigerate it and heat in micro-wave at half power for dinner. It never tastes heated up this way but like you just cooked it. If it is being served over rice, noodles or potatoes, thats all you would half to fix and a salad and nice garlic bread and you have dinner.

Enjoy!

ps. Do not ever fill your pressure cooker more than half full. I use a 6Qt. model.

Hey, bknox, just when I thought it was getting better ... well, you know. Chicago is worse than Galena, so I feel for you. My kitchen is not air conditioned, and tomatoes are coming in gangbusters, so I'm sweating out mornings (when it isn't too bad) so I can prepare them for the freezer. Amazing that what seems like two tons of tomatoes only makes enough sauce for two people for one meal. But it is so gosh-almighty (boy they are good here at bleeping you) good when I thaw it, I almost can make myself forget about the work!

Hi Claire,
I know what you mean by having 100 good sized tomatoes and you only end up with 7 quarts. I quit canning alot of years ago. There are just the 2 of us and we would have so much left over the following season. I've been without A/C several times in the heat of the summer and it's terrible. You all at least get some rain. We had a little drizzle today and that was the first in a week. Take care and I hope you are in cool air soon.

Patty

I considered starting canning when we first moved here, but after a lesson or two from a freind, decided it is way too much heat to add to an already hot experience. Now I have two methods, both simple:

#1 is sauce. Slice tomatoes in half, seed (this can be haphazard, you're just trying to get rid of some of the water involved), then place on a baking tray (something with sides). Slice one onion, separate a half head of garlic (don't need to peel), S&P, drizzled with olive oil. Bake at 350 for 60-90 minutes (I tend to let the oven work for an hour, then leave the tray in for another half-hour as it cools). You'll have semi-dehydrated tomatoes. Run all of it through a food mill or china cap or -- I suspect -- even a food ricer would work. What you wind up with is a thick, delicious sauce. At this point I toss in fresh basil if I have it, then freeze in baggies.

#2 is the fresh tomato option. I score the bottom of tomatoes, blanch for a few seconds, peel, core, and seed. Sometimes I run them through the food mill, sometimes (I know I'm repeating myself, but my kitchen has no a/c) I just get too sweaty (have I mentioned I'm going through menopause?) and I just freeze as is.

The thought of canning AFTER doing all this work --- well, ain't gonna happen!

I do this because not only do I love tomatoes in all forms, but my husband just loves everything I cook. Hey, good food can make a marriage!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom