Hot Weather Cooking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bknox

Head Chef
Cicero, IL, but my heart is in Virginia where my f
Hot weather is here in Chicago and I refuse to turn on my stove. An excellent pot pie was the last hot meal until the weather breaks. I am running out of cold leftovers and have already eaten my weight in salad. Not really fond of cold soups.

What does everyone do when the weather is hot? What do you make?

One thing I make is a sandwich called the Gold Coast, I did not name it, it was served in a Deli named Moe's.

You take leftover (de-boned) chicken or turkey and cut it thin for sandwiches. On white bread roll, french bread or whatever you like, place a heaping helping of chicken or turkey. Spread a thick layer of cream cheese on it and a layer of cold cranberry sauce. I have used canned and homemade, loved them both.

Any other hot weather food ideas?

Bryan

Your BBQ is your best friend in hot weather. I have an entire cookbook dedicated to modifying recipes so you can cook them on your BBQ. Mmmmmmmmmmm.

We also do a lot of veggie and dip plates combined with the crackers/cheese/garlic sausage/smoked oysters tray. Always a fan favourite around here.

Getting You Through the Summer - Cooking for the Rushed.

Its a Canadian publication, and is quite inexpensive but worth every penny! Heres a link to the website. You can get some free recipes there too. Its the little yellow one on the right. The others are wonderful too.

http://cookingfortherushed.com/index.htm

During this heat, we bbq about 4 nights/week. Even dessert is on the grill. Otherwise, I do crock pot cooking, such as pulled pork sandwiches or french dips. If I'm cooking indoors, I try to make cold desserts, like refrigerator pies, and the like.

We do a lot of deli meat and cheese plates with sliced raw veggies...
not that it gets too hot to cook in Seattle very often.

We sometimes pick up a rotisserie chicken from Costco - they're delicious, and make that part of a cool meal. I like to make a hearty sandwich on a bulkie roll with mayonnaise, chopped scallions and roasted red peppers. (Then I save he bones for a stock).

We make paninni sandwiches really often, that and fruit or salad or both and a simple veggie is really all we need. The sandwiches can be fancy or plain, I just provide lots of options and let them go for it.

kadesma

If you are single, or just cooking for two, a Foreman Grill is great. I used to make lots of quesadillas and fajitas using a Foreman Grill.

This weather has been brutal hasn't it?!? I think the whole country is having a meltdown. Marinate some boneless chicken breasts & get out the grill. Kabobs are great and of course there's always steak on the grill. How about pulled pork? I did a pork butt/shoulder last week-to die for. Pour worch. sauce all over it, crust it with brown sugar (it's messy-I did it on parchment paper, and put it in the crockpot. Pour about a cup of apple juice in the bottom of crock (not over the meat). Cook on low for about 10 hrs. Shred the meat - put in a casserole with some of the juice & I added 1/2 bottle of Cattlemen's bbq sauce and almost the whole bottle of KC Masterpiece Honey Smoke sauce. Mix together well - Delish!! Use for sandwiches or just the meat with a side green salad or mac or potato salad.

Here's another hot weather favorite from my house - Italian tomato salad, fresh italian bread for dunking in the juice and a pitcher of red sangria - I'm in heaven!!!

AllenMI said:
If you are single, or just cooking for two, a Foreman Grill is great. I used to make lots of quesadillas and fajitas using a Foreman Grill.

I forgot about my GF grill. Since my outdoor grill is not buried under 3 feet of snow, I have been using it. But you are right the GF grill would be great in the summer for those who don't have access to an outdoor grill. :)

Thanks for all the great ideas. We opted for a tomato salad and I made pasta late last night for salads during the week. It seems my appetite has been light in this hot weather I may spend some time with my popsicle experiments, Sangria sounds good.

Thanks again,
Bryan

Two unusual favorites: Open faced Scandinavian sandwiches. I spread some kind of dense bread (rye or pumpernickel usually) with either cream cheese, sour cream, or ranch dressing. Then each piece gets some sort of the following treatments: cukes, tomatoes, salmon, ham, cheese, capers, dill, pickles ... let your imagination be your guide. Those little loaves of party bread are great. It's cool and refreshing.

The other is one I call summer soup and originates somewhere with MFK Fisher. Heat some light broth/stock (in the microwave folks, this weather is the time to give it a workout). Then on the table place bowls of all sorts of condiments. Cold, slivered meats. Julienned veggies. Chopped herbs. Cold noodles or rice. Anything from the garden. Anything that will fit on a spoon. Great for leftovers!! This will be a warm soup when done, but not over-the-top hot, and very light. Each person takes their bowl of hot stock, and adds what they like.

We had our big cool-down today, so Chicago, be happy, it's on its way.

Hot summer days are just meant for these type of serve-yourself light meals.

Pulled pork was something I lived off of after my spiked cedar plank pork loin experiment. I think my pulled pork recipe needs work but it was nice to have ready made sandwich stuff.

Open faced Scandinavian sandwiches sound great, maybe with a tomato salad and Sangria.

The weather is beginning to cool a bit Claire. Maybe my brain will start working again.

Thanks for the ideas,
Bryan

Alix said:
Your BBQ is your best friend in hot weather. I have an entire cookbook dedicated to modifying recipes so you can cook them on your BBQ. Mmmmmmmmmmm.
Hmmmmm. Stand outside in 98 degree heat and high humidity cooking on the BBQ or inside my air conditioned house cooking on the stove? I think I will take the air conditioning and stove at this point!

I would like the name of your cookbook though, Alix.

:) Barbara

Back
Top Bottom