How do you feel when someone obviously doesnt like what you have cooked ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry, I should have been more clear. If someone knows they do not like something then I have no problem with them not trying it. My comment should have specified that this is for foods that they have not yet tried and determined if they like or not.

I made a celery root mashed potato dish a while ago and there were a few people who would not go near it because they had never heard of celery root. They even liked celery, but would not try something new. I think what really got to me was the faces they made. How can you do that when you have never tasted it :LOL:

I gotcha!!! I will pretty much try anything new. I'm with you, how can you pass judgement on something if you have never tasted it? But there are less adventersome folks out there that just stick to what they know. And as Pie said, some folks may stay away from new things based on health issues.

Thanks for further explaining GB! :)

I've had people do that, GB, and yes, it is very rude, but there are a lot of rude people. One of my ex-friends would actually make a face and say, "Ooh, yuck!"

My father-in-law was a good man, and good to me, but he was extremely rude. He would come right out and tell you that the clams were tough, or the apple butter not sweet enough. He would say he was just being honest, and I told him that if he didn't have something nice to say, not say anything at all. Fortunately, he liked most of my cooking.

And then there was ex-MIL, who would say things like, "This meatloaf is good, but you should taste Jane's meatloaf!"
One the ex's cousins helped us out with some electrical things, and I had the family over for a thank you dinner. His wife didn't trust my home canned fruits and vegetables, even though I assured her that I followed all the USDA approved methods, and she made a big deal out of not letting her children eat anything she thought I had canned.

I was raised to have good manners and consideration for other people's feelings, and I raised my children that way. My grandson may have been able to belch the ABC's, but his friends' mothers always commented on how polite he was.

What gets me is when they salt the food before tasting it and then say they don't like it...

well, maybe just maybe they would have with out all that added salt on top. : )

you have no idea how that ticks me off. specially steak, which i think i have seasoned carefully. nope here comes the salt. i don't salt other things and they are free to taste and add if they feel they need to.
taste before you sprinkle. lol

Have you been watching my kids. Thats just what they do. I no longer get them to try it as they take a miniscule bit and say they don't like the taste before it has even hit the tongue.

Larry, I do feel a little like that but it is up to people to choose what they want to eat. It's a bit like bring & share meals - I'm always watching to see how well my dish goes down compared to the others.

I'm always watching to see if my dish comes back up....:ermm:

The constructive criticism i can take, but as mentioned by many of you, its " the face " , that look of disgust before the even give it a go. It just irritates me. I dont say anything, but if they could read my mind :-p

We went to a thanksgiving for around 20 people. After dinner there were around 10 pies and a cheese cake. I brought the cheese cake. Everyone loved it, and most of the pies only had one piece if any out of it. So it would have been impossible for all those pies to be eaten, unless everyone had had at least 4 servings of dessert! Sometimes people are just too full to sample everything at a meal. Seriously, even my 17 year old only had 2 pieces of dessert. I personally, was full, and didn't want any dessert, though I'm sure they were all noteworthy.

i made abts for my family(cheese stuffed jalapenoes wrapped in bacon and cooked on the bbq) and before anyone even ate one .. a "friend" proclaimed that she had eaten these
before and they were horrible .. and that bacon could not be cooked at such a low temp.
(225 for two hours) .. and that the reason jalapenoes are hot is in the skin
not the veins .. oh brother ...

Reading this thread I think I offended my new daughter-in-law who hosted Thanksgiving Dinner. She went to a great deal of trouble to prepare four different desserts. I am one of the few who rarely eats dessert. My taste buds for sweets never developed.:( So, I said "no thanks" to her desserts. It is my tastebuds and had nothing to do with her preparation. I need to phone and tell her that.

y'all need to come to the frozen steppes of KZ......they will eat ANYTHING.......I mean horsemeat is a staple in the diet over there........every American,Tex-Mexican, Vietnamese, Thai dish that I would serve they loved it......and never mind the desserts......they scarfed cookies up esp. chocolate chip and oatmeal raisin (can't get those over there).......you could cook a bad meal and they'd never know it.(and some were less than perfect).....my kind of guests!!:).......I know what is like to go to all the trouble of preparing something and very little of it being tasted......but I try and not take it personally tho' I sometimes get hurt but would never say anything........as for salt I don't put it on the table unless they ask for it....forces them to taste it first....:):) of course I try and say to let me know if there's anything else that they might need........

now for immediate "outlaws" and my extended family.....different ballgame.......just keep it simple......nothing complex and they'll eat it.......get creative......and you'll be getting your feelings out of whack as you listen to "ooh, what's that with obvious intentions on their faces of NOT trying it"........ah, the joys of cooking :):)

i made abts for my family(cheese stuffed jalapenoes wrapped in bacon and cooked on the bbq) and before anyone even ate one .. a "friend" proclaimed that she had eaten these
before and they were horrible .. and that bacon could not be cooked at such a low temp.

Oh, Love2Q......what a shame and what a rude friend esp. before she even had tried yours......I'm sure that yours are delicious.....my son makes those for get-togethers and they are the first to go.......don't you just love the "know-it-alls"? I had a friend who when I served seafood gumbo basically said the same thing......I asked her where she had eaten it and when she said where I coaxed her to try an authentic Cajun recipe and maybe she'd like it better.......she came and hugged me and said she was so sorry for saying what she did........on her hubby's 40th birthday we made the gumbo together to serve about 50 people......I hope that your friend at least tried one of yours..........

I'd probably say something like "Even a child can tell if bacon is cooked or not..." But that's just me... :angel:

I suppose that I am disappointed rather than insulted when people don't like what I cook. But people do have different tastes...on Thanksgiving, when I was putting the plate scrapings together for the dogs, I noticed a couple of half-eaten tamales. What???!!!! Somebody doesn't like tamales? We think they are pure heaven, and would never leave any uneaten.

I will usually try anything new, but DH is a little less adventurous. Your root vegetable mash sounds delicious to me too, Larry, and I'm sure we both would have enjoyed it.

if the standard Starving-people-in-Ethiopia guilt trip doesn`t work, then the really naughty ones get sent straight to bed without Anything! :cool:

larry, it sounds to me that you are hurt and resent that your efforts aren't appreciated when people don't like what you have made. You found a recipe, thought about it, shopped for it, prepared it with love and pride and were felt rejected when after all your hard work you were not rewarded with praise.

This often happens when you feed people who do not cook and don't know how to shop. Or when people weren't taught certain social graces to avoid hurting someone's feelings.

Try not to take it personally. It really is not a reflection on you or your efforts and more a reflection on your guests. Tastes are different and I am sure that if your family and friends realized that you were hurt they would feel bad about it.

Don't feel defeated and give up. Keep on trying. Perhaps over time, you will expose them to new tastes and they will expand their horizons and it will be all because of you!

I agree with all the previous posters who stated that they're not offended by folks not eating/liking what they prepared, but offended by 1) loudmouths feeling the need to proclaim the dish in question unpalatable, 2) loudmouths feeling the need to proclaim the dish in question disgusting without even tasting it.

The above don't get invited back to my house unless they plan on bringing their own food.

What gets me is when they salt the food before tasting it and then say they don't like it...

Just salting before tasting is enough for me.

Wifes been doing that to me for 16 years .... does no good to bring up how she should at least taste it first .... I think I'll Morton tomorrows breakfast.

Back
Top Bottom