"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 11-29-2008, 09:17 AM   #31
Master Chef

y'all need to come to the frozen steppes of KZ......they will eat ANYTHING.......I mean horsemeat is a staple in the diet over there........every American,Tex-Mexican, Vietnamese, Thai dish that I would serve they loved it......and never mind the desserts......they scarfed cookies up esp. chocolate chip and oatmeal raisin (can't get those over there).......you could cook a bad meal and they'd never know it.(and some were less than perfect).....my kind of guests!!:).......I know what is like to go to all the trouble of preparing something and very little of it being tasted......but I try and not take it personally tho' I sometimes get hurt but would never say anything........as for salt I don't put it on the table unless they ask for it....forces them to taste it first....:):) of course I try and say to let me know if there's anything else that they might need........

now for immediate "outlaws" and my extended family.....different ballgame.......just keep it simple......nothing complex and they'll eat it.......get creative......and you'll be getting your feelings out of whack as you listen to "ooh, what's that with obvious intentions on their faces of NOT trying it"........ah, the joys of cooking :):)

Old 11-29-2008, 09:34 AM   #32
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2"Q" View Post
i made abts for my family(cheese stuffed jalapenoes wrapped in bacon and cooked on the bbq) and before anyone even ate one .. a "friend" proclaimed that she had eaten these
before and they were horrible .. and that bacon could not be cooked at such a low temp.
(225 for two hours) .. and that the reason jalapenoes are hot is in the skin
not the veins .. oh brother ...
Oh, Love2Q......what a shame and what a rude friend esp. before she even had tried yours......I'm sure that yours are delicious.....my son makes those for get-togethers and they are the first to go.......don't you just love the "know-it-alls"? I had a friend who when I served seafood gumbo basically said the same thing......I asked her where she had eaten it and when she said where I coaxed her to try an authentic Cajun recipe and maybe she'd like it better.......she came and hugged me and said she was so sorry for saying what she did........on her hubby's 40th birthday we made the gumbo together to serve about 50 people......I hope that your friend at least tried one of yours..........

Old 11-29-2008, 09:49 AM   #33
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2"Q" View Post
i made abts for my family(cheese stuffed jalapenoes wrapped in bacon and cooked on the bbq) and before anyone even ate one .. a "friend" proclaimed that she had eaten these
before and they were horrible .. and that bacon could not be cooked at such a low temp.
(225 for two hours) .. and that the reason jalapenoes are hot is in the skin
not the veins .. oh brother ...
I'd probably say something like "Even a child can tell if bacon is cooked or not..." But that's just me...
Old 11-29-2008, 10:47 AM   #34
Head Chef

I suppose that I am disappointed rather than insulted when people don't like what I cook. But people do have different tastes...on Thanksgiving, when I was putting the plate scrapings together for the dogs, I noticed a couple of half-eaten tamales. What???!!!! Somebody doesn't like tamales? We think they are pure heaven, and would never leave any uneaten.

I will usually try anything new, but DH is a little less adventurous. Your root vegetable mash sounds delicious to me too, Larry, and I'm sure we both would have enjoyed it.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:18 PM   #35
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
if the standard Starving-people-in-Ethiopia guilt trip doesn`t work, then the really naughty ones get sent straight to bed without Anything!

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 12:19 PM   #36
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobsanX View Post
I'd probably say something like "Even a child can tell if bacon is cooked or not..." But that's just me...
i was informed to be on my best behavior ..
Old 11-29-2008, 01:01 PM   #37
Head Chef

larry, it sounds to me that you are hurt and resent that your efforts aren't appreciated when people don't like what you have made. You found a recipe, thought about it, shopped for it, prepared it with love and pride and were felt rejected when after all your hard work you were not rewarded with praise.

This often happens when you feed people who do not cook and don't know how to shop. Or when people weren't taught certain social graces to avoid hurting someone's feelings.

Try not to take it personally. It really is not a reflection on you or your efforts and more a reflection on your guests. Tastes are different and I am sure that if your family and friends realized that you were hurt they would feel bad about it.

Don't feel defeated and give up. Keep on trying. Perhaps over time, you will expose them to new tastes and they will expand their horizons and it will be all because of you!
Old 11-29-2008, 01:22 PM   #38
Master Chef

I agree with all the previous posters who stated that they're not offended by folks not eating/liking what they prepared, but offended by 1) loudmouths feeling the need to proclaim the dish in question unpalatable, 2) loudmouths feeling the need to proclaim the dish in question disgusting without even tasting it.

The above don't get invited back to my house unless they plan on bringing their own food.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:59 PM   #39
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdswife View Post
What gets me is when they salt the food before tasting it and then say they don't like it...
Just salting before tasting is enough for me.

Wifes been doing that to me for 16 years .... does no good to bring up how she should at least taste it first .... I think I'll Morton tomorrows breakfast.