"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
View Poll Results: When do you shop for staples?
When I run out of something 6 30.00%
When I notice stocks are running low 15 75.00%
On a specific time frame - eg every three months 0 0%
It depends - budget, time factors etc 3 15.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-19-2006, 02:04 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyles
I'm a "buy it before I run out" shopper, where as dh lets something run out before shopping. (Annoys me no end, I go to use sugar or flour and find theres none left)

What do you do?
Like yourself, Kyles, I never wait till I run out. My pantry is chock-full of a variety of foods. If I can't always get fresh, I like the option of reaching in and having a sub, and not having to go to the store for one or two ingredients. I don't do a lot of baking, so flour I don't stock up on. Re sugar, don't use a lot of it, but, I keep it in the fridge. (I have a thing about bugs.) When I drank coffee, I kept that in the fridge as well. My concern, is that I should really rotate, and use up and check expiration dates.

Old 07-19-2006, 02:39 PM   #12
Master Chef

I buy staples long before I'm close to running out. Since I cook almost exclusively with extra-virgin olive oil, I buy it by the gallon fron Costco, & always have 2 gallons on hand - one in use, & one on standby. Toilet paper, paper towels, plastic trash bags, & cat litter are also Costco staples. Other staples like pasta, rice, canned whole & diced tomatoes, canned beans, etc., I buy at the supermarket; usually picking up a couple of cans every time I shop whether I need them or not - especially if there's a sale.

It's actually very rare that I run out of a pantry staple.

Old 07-19-2006, 03:58 PM   #13
Head Chef

For items I think have unlimited shelf life; salt, liquor, paper and plastic: when a brand I like goes on sale I'll buy enough to last a couple years or more.

Items with limited but long shelf life; whole canned tomatoes, all purpose flour, dried whole kernel corn, green coffee beans, vinegars etc.: I'll stock up on well before they run out but try to limit the quantity on hand to a one year supply.

Whole grain flours, spices, seeds, nuts, and olive oil: I try to replace just before I run out without worrying about if they're on sale.
By far, most of my grocery shopping is done in the produce, dairy and meat & fish sections of the store.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 04:14 PM   #14
Sous Chef

I never buy any staple items until I've run out and then realize I need it. I sometimes don't buy milk until after having to go through eating a bowl of dry cereal.