"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 09-11-2008, 02:38 PM   #91
Master Chef

No one said MSG was/is "bad" for most people.

However, many people ARE allergic to it, & those reactions can range from severe migraine headaches, to rashes, to mouth/tongue numbness - really a plethora of reactions from mild to severe.

Thus it can pay to be careful.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:39 PM   #92
Senior Cook

I love Szechuan.

Old 09-11-2008, 04:14 PM   #93
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
GB - the "slurrying" isn't "velveting". "
LOL I know. that is why I said
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
I know that is not the actual velveting method
Old 09-11-2008, 04:19 PM   #94
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post

MSG lost that popularity when many folks experienced allergic reactions to it, including migraine headaches.
I do not quite agree with this. I would say that MSG lost its popularity when the media wrote sensationalized stories about people having allergic reactions to MSG and started an MSG panic. The majority of people would have never experienced any symptoms if the media did not put it in their heads in the first place. There are plenty of products out there that contain MSG that people who supposedly are allergic to it eat all the time without a problem.

I am not saying that there are not people who have adverse reactions to MSG. There is no doubt that those people are out there. The number is no where near as high as most people seem to believe though.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:43 AM   #95
Master Chef

I agree with GB, but as I said, I treat MSG as I would peanuts ... I make sure I know who I'm cooking for. I use Maggi seasoning for most pork, beef, or lamb Asian meals if I'm cooking for folk with no allergies. No one has gotten sick from my nege maki!

Oh, how I miss different kinds of Asian and Indian cuisine. I do my best, and have an entire cabinet of spices to work with, and a great herb garden. But I miss having all these cuisines at my fingertips as I did during my military days.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:41 AM   #96
Assistant Cook

I am sorry to say that i don't like chinses food at all.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:25 PM   #97
Master Chef

Wow, i've see peopple that do not like particular dishes, but how can you swip the whole cousine with one brush. It is so diverse, i doubt anyof us have tasted evn 25 % of what is really consider Chinese foods, not opnly that the foods are so diferent by the region, o well, it's your taste.

As far as MSG goes, as I already have said, the recent studies proove that msg is not that bad for a person at all. And that there are natural ocurances of the msg type chemichals in many foods.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:35 PM   #98
Executive Chef

Quote:
Charlie - "Velveting" is a preparatory method that results in an unbelievably silk-like texture with poultry & seafood destined for ultimate cooking in a stirfry.

It involves placing the cut meat (sliced, shredded, diced, etc.) in a coating of dry sherry, egg white, cornstarch, oil, & salt & then gently but quickly giving it a quick (like 1 minute tops) "bath"/simmer in either low-temp (like 275 degrees) oil or slow-boiling water. The meat comes out light, sort of fluffy, & "velvety" - thus the name of the term.

There's absolutely nothing like it for preparing chicken for virtually any stir-fry dish. You'll swear you're in the best restaurant in Chinatown - lol!

If I have the prep time, I try to use this method as often as possible when I'm planning on stirfrying chicken. Haven't tried it with seafood yet.

What an interesting tip! Thats something new for me! I always wondered why Chinese stir frys never taste the same at home as it does in restaurants...I always thought it was the soy brand I used or something....that could be a huge key! Thanks!

I LOVE egg foo young the kind with the large patties and brown gravy on top....any good recipes around here that I missed??

deelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 07:58 PM   #99
Sous Chef

I like my chinese food clean and well executed.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:04 PM   #100
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Mikey View Post
I like my chinese food clean and well executed.
By firing squad or guillotine?