"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 02-11-2008, 10:57 AM   #21
Senior Cook
Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
Sorry, my bad LOL. I also love Chinese food, I am into French food (eating and cooking). Chinese is my second choice for eating, unfortunately I haven't had the chance to learn or live with someone well versed to teach me, but would love to learn it.

"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you what you are" Anthelme Brillat-Savarin
wysiwyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 11:03 AM   #22
Senior Cook
I'm a sucker for Beef with Broccoli, Pu Pu Platters and decent Peking Duck.

"Culture is what your butcher would have if he were a surgeon."
Mary Pettibone Poole
Ask-A-Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 12:39 PM   #23
Master Chef
I like my Chineese food a lot. Pretty much much anything.

Of course, the question is do we really know what real chineese food is? I know russian food that you can get in some restaraunts are really not russian or hae very little in cominbg with the real thing. I'm afraid it is the same with Chinees e food too.
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 01:05 PM   #24
Master Chef
I love it all - whether I'm cooking it (I have quite a large collection of Chinese cuisine cookbooks) or dining out - although I do tend to lean more towards the spicier dishes.

For anyone interested, the New York Times recently - in honor of the Chinese New Year - had a very interesting Op-Ed piece on Chinese food in America. Here's the link:

(And while I hesitate to provide disagreement with someone from China, the writer here claims that while it's frequently claimed that there are many culinary "regions" of Chinese cookery, there are actually just four.)
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 02:58 PM   #25
Senior Cook
I love most types of Chinese foods. Usually Mom cooked a certain style (different from my grandmother, her mom) and we would often go out to eat other styles. My uncles who owned restaurants focused on various styles, one was into Sichuan, one was more Taiwanese, another more Shanghai and Cantonese. The one type that I do not like at all are the Chinese fast food places, like those in a shopping mall.

I also love other Asian cuisines, such as Thai, Vietnamese, Korean, Japanese, Filipino. Okay, okay, so I just love food. Is that so wrong?
CAB Cooks
plumies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 03:01 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire
I like Chinese food, although there don't seem to be a lot of "real" Chinese restaurants around here anymore, although I hear there's a good dim sum restaurant in another city nearby. I'd love to see some authentic Chinese recipes if anyone would like to share.
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 03:23 PM   #27
Head Chef
We are lucky enough to have a terrific authentic Chinese restaurant(according to a Chinese professor). Great food, very tasty. We also have a very good Thai restaurant, also very tasty. Two completely different palates for each. I love them both. The complexity of the flavors in both is a wonderful change of pace.
Jeff G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 03:27 PM   #28
Assistant Cook
I like almost all of it, good and bad. Although I prefer Thai food, I can always go for some well cooked kung pow chicken. It is nice when it is grilled rather than fried, with plenty of peanuts and sauce.
Online Meal Planning
Ross37Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 03:38 PM   #29
Senior Cook
GotGarlic, I find that people's interpretation of what is considered authentic Chinese food to be widely varied. I think it would help to know what style of Chinese cuisine you like (sichuan, hunan, etc.) before suggesting a recipe. There's also a category I called "homestyle" dishes because these aren't typical dishes you would find in a restaurant. To me, these aren't considered anymore authentic than those you find in a good Chinese restaurant. Kind of like chicken noodle soup. Most associate good chicken noodle soup to homemade and you don't see it on the menu that often.
CAB Cooks
plumies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 03:46 PM   #30
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by xiaoshan View Post
Have you ever had Chinese food? If so, how do you like it?~~
put in front of me, on a plate, with fork and spoon

...Trials travel best when you're taking the transportation known as prayer...SLRC
LEFSElover is offline   Reply With Quote