"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 02-13-2008, 12:04 PM   #41
Sous Chef

I love springrolls with a sweet and sour dip.
I also make lots of stir fries. They are a good thing to make when I have a lotsof vegies in the house. And l love tofu.

Mel

Old 02-13-2008, 01:24 PM   #42
Assistant Cook

spring rolls

there are actually a few types of spring rolls Besides deep fried spring rolls.

there is one type of spring roll in which fresh unfried skins are used. Both Cooked and fresh ingredients such as shrimps, turnips, eggs, lettuce and peanuts, chilli are place on the skin. It is the rolled up like a springroll and eaten straight like it is.

There are also various types of skins used for the spring rolls. Such as beancurd skins.

Old 02-13-2008, 02:31 PM   #43
Sous Chef

Thats a cool idea Conkee.
I think I will try making uncooked springrolls. I never heard of them before.

Mel
Old 02-13-2008, 02:41 PM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookee View Post
there are actually a few types of spring rolls Besides deep fried spring rolls.

there is one type of spring roll in which fresh unfried skins are used. Both Cooked and fresh ingredients such as shrimps, turnips, eggs, lettuce and peanuts, chilli are place on the skin. It is the rolled up like a springroll and eaten straight like it is.

There are also various types of skins used for the spring rolls. Such as beancurd skins.
I call them summer rolls and I associate them with Vietnamese cuisine. I like to use shrimp, rice noodles, cucumber, red pepper, fresh cilantro, a squeeze of lime and dip in fish sauce mixed with some lime juice and hot chili flakes. I have also used left-over flank steak in them. I hope this link will take you to the pics.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 04:10 PM   #45
Head Chef

Being a vegetarian, I love chinese food because it is one of the few restaurants that can provide me with many choices. The place I go to has a complete vegetarian menu, in addition to a regular menu. They make the best vegetarian hot and sour soup Ive had. Actually, thats not %100 true. There used to be a chain of chinese restaurants here on long island called ' homers'. They had the best, but they overextended themselves and they al went out of business. Then Empire szechuan replaced many of them. They are very good, but the original homers was great. Sorry for rambling on, just remembering the good old days :)
Old 03-11-2008, 06:12 PM   #46
Assistant Cook

chinese food is amazing. My favorite is lemon chicken and orange chicken.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:36 PM   #47
Sous Chef

You should try the Chinese dumplings (similar to pot stickers) my exchange student, J, made the other day. He spent like 8 hours doing it, but they looked beautiful and were so good! He put a bit of habanero in them and it added a perfect amount of spice. We ate them with white vinegar and soy sauce. He also made these meatballs rolled in rice with shrimp on top. I don't like shrimp, but it looked very professional.

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 06:48 PM   #48
Sous Chef

I love sesame chicken and garlic chicken (my favorite place uses the same base sauce for both).

Cashew chicken (aka Springfield Chicken) is an Chinese-American creation but is really good.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:52 PM   #49
Head Chef

I love Chinese food! My friend from work is from Hong Kong and she takes me to a restaurant in the northern part of Cincinnati that specializes in seafood, she does all of our ordering in Mandarin and the lobster stir fry we get with noodles is amazing. we go there about once a month for lobster and dim sum.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:48 PM   #50
Senior Cook

I love chinese veg spring rolls. Authientic prawn crackers... other than i havent had much chinese food. I do love their noodles also..