How do you like Chinese food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like sweet and sour chicken , chicken lo mein, Egg Foo Young at the chinese restaurant. At home I stir fry chicken and veggies. :chef:

It's good, but I like Thai better. We usually have Chinese at the local buffet, and I am sure it is not very authentic.

Depends on what region , and how authentic it is. Nothing better then a Szechuan Hot Pot, or pretty much ANYTHING Hunan...can you tell I like spicy?

I like it without MSG. :) But I too prefer Thai to Chinese Food.

There is a great Chinese restaurant in Ft. Lauderdale, Christina Wan's that we always go to....We usually order hot & sour soup, tofu in a lemon grass sauce, spicy garlic green beans & Kung Pao Chicken.

My father loves cooking Chinese food. My favorites that he makes.... potstickers & lemon chicken.

yea, MSG stinks. I can always tell when they use it, even if they deny it, cause it never fails to make me feel sick...

China has many different kinds of food. There are eight main cuisines in China. Each one has its own characteristic.

Perhaps Xiaoshan can provide us an example by recipe of something more authentic than what is offered at the local take-out joint?
And don't worry about any exotic spices or ingredients, I can always pop on down to Chinatown and pick any up if needed. Will have to get my wok out and ready ;)
But I would be very interested in trying something more authentic.

i am from China, but i am not good at cooking~~~:P
I've been in US for about one month~~i went to several restaurants in China Town~

Last edited:
xiaoshan, how did the restaurants you visited compare to authentic chinese food? were there any chinese-american dishes served? did you like them?

Welcome! So, are you from the same region as your name?

Let's see - 4 of the regions would be Hunan, Mongolia, Szechwan, and Canton. I need help with the other 4.

Xiaoshan, I traveled to China last spring and everywhere I went, the food was wonderful! I had Peking Duck in Beijing and in Wuhan (where my son and his family live) we had lots of good dumplings and delicious noodles in the Muslim quarter. We went to the Muslim market in Xian and had excellent mutton cooked on skewers over an open fire. Very spicy. But the food I ate there did not bear much resemblance to the Chinese food I have eaten in the US or (even worse) here in Mexico. Welcome to the board - I know we would all like to hear from you about cooking authentic Chinese dishes.

Have you ever have Chinese food? If so, how do you like it?~~:chef:

Yes, we eat it every so often. There are a few places we go to for take out here in town because they are excellent in what they do. My husband gets triple delight and I usually get something called seafood combo. There are a few other items on their menu we order it just depends upon what kind of mood we're in for eating really.

Now I cook Chinese at home as well. When I've done it usually I will make a shrimp and lobster sauce or a sweet and sour chicken. I have been wanting to attempt the making of General Tso's Chicken. That was something my husband had at one of our take out places and he loves it so I'd like to give it a trial run.

kitchenelf,
The other four regions are Frisco, Toronto, New York and Chicago (I am just kidding)

I enjoy most Asian foods but not the very spicy ones, although I am rather partial to Thai Green and Red curries. Japanese would be my preferred Asian cuisine but good quality Japanese and Thai is more readily available in Perth than Chinese. Very Westernised here. But that's not to say that I don't like those dishes as well. I value the dish for what it is, not for its authenicity. I am going to lunch with my Malaysian friend on Wednesday at a Chinese restaurant which should be good as she expands my horizons.

Welcome to DC too by the way!! And I hope your move to the US is a successful one.

kitchenelf,
The other four regions are Frisco, Toronto, New York and Chicago (I am just kidding)

Wysiwyg, you forgot Vancouver, we have a great Chinatown! Maybe Toronto and Vancouver could be counted as a half each!:LOL:

Seriously, I do love authentic chinese food and had the wonderful experience of having a roommate in university who taught me the mandarin style while her boyfriend threw in a little szechuan and cantonese. I am not "fluent" in cooking these styles, but I remember a few tricks.

Thanks, xiaoshan for starting this thread. It would be great to hear more of what you make and what you think of "Chinese Food" in North America.

Back
Top Bottom