"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 02-17-2012, 03:59 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

How do you make Steak and Eggs?

i recently introcuced steak and eggs for breakfast to my son, and when dw tried it she was amazed at how good it was. i was surprised that she had never tried it before. she loved the way a runny yolk becomes a sauce for the steak, and the juxtaposition of textures from the whites and the meat.

i've ordered steak and eggs out in restaurants/diners before, but the steak is always so disappointing. usually a thin piece of fatty, overcooked shoe leather. how they get both is a mystery.

since that first time a few weeks ago, i've used leftover medallions of ny strips with sunny side up eggs, leftover thin slices of london broil topped with buttery over easy eggs, and leftover hunks of ribeyes with sunny side up eggs and bacon fat browned garlic drizzled over top.

i offered my boy a1 steak sauce, but he curled up his face when he tasted it like he ate a lemon. i have to pick up some hp sauce.

each was delicious in their different ways. i'm going to make it again this weekend, so i was wondering what was everyone's favourite way to make steak and eggs?

Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:07 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Sunnyside eggs and medallions of fresh venison tenderloin seared in butter.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:22 AM   #3
Executive Chef

This is one time I prefer striploin or sirloin. I don't care for a fattier steak with eggs, like rib eye. It may have something to do with the time of day it is typically eaten. Many moons ago I used to play every Saturday night and get home in the early morning hours and sleep in so, when I did wake up I had a Sunday lunch tradition of a 6 oz striploin, three eggs(sunny and runny), homefries, fresh tomatoes, juice, and a large Bloody Mary(or two). Then I would hit the couch for an afternoon of football on TV. Ahhh, the days before responsibilities.......

From my experience, most restaurants who offer it try and sell a cheaper, or smaller cut of meat with steak and eggs to keep the price down, otherwise it would be priced up there with steak dinner. Then, nobody would buy it.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:27 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Pastrami and eggs is pretty good too but the venison tenderloin is much leaner.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:30 AM   #5
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Chicken Fried Steak and Eggs with sausage gravy and home fries. (I can hear my cardiologist screaming)

I use cubed steak for that.

Try pork chops and Eggs...
Old 02-17-2012, 10:24 AM   #6
Head Chef

My "steak and eggs" is beef fajitas and two eggs over easy.

And a side of refried beans.

Oh, and a side of fried potato cubes.

And hot corn tortillas.

Bowl of salsa.

Fresh slices jalapenos.

Yep. I think that's all. Maybe chips to stave off starvation while waiting for it.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:33 AM   #7
Master Chef

Best steak and eggs I had was on my honeymoon, a thousand or so years back. It was a filet mingon, grilled over flame, with a sunny-side up egg on top, whites cooked completely through, but with a runny yolk.

Were I to make it at home, it would be one of those steaks that comes from the chuck, is well marbled, and has a thin strip of gristle runs down the center. Some call it a petite steak. But it is one of the most tender, and flavorful cuts. Just cook medium rare over charcoal, and cut out the center gristle, and top with either an egg coddled in salty water, or poached in my poaching pan, nesteld in melted butter as it steams to perfection. Place that on top of the steak.

Of course, I certainly wouldn't turn down a bone-in ribey from the grill, with the same eggs. And though I love A1 sauce on a steak, not on steak and eggs. Oh, and a side of hash browns would be great too.

Seeeeeeya'; Chief Lonwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:17 AM   #8
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Yuuuum, one of my faves.

for me, at home, medium thick cut of rib-eye, cooked to MR, eggs go in the same pan and go over easy, then right on top of my steak. I use my 109year old cast iron almost exclusively for breakfast.

if I am out and about, I LOVE Silpancho/as. One of my favorite Bolivian dishes. It's just a thin, pounded out piece of steak, pan fried, topped with a dippy egg or two, fresh chopped tomato, onion, and jalapeno, and served over rice and fried potatoes.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:12 PM   #9
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
(I can hear my cardiologist screaming)
Get some better earplugs...
Old 02-17-2012, 04:38 PM   #10
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Chicken Fried Steak and Eggs with sausage gravy and home fries. (I can hear my cardiologist screaming)
Mmmm Mmmm I may have to go out for breakfast tomorrow.. get me some country-fried steak, home fries, biscuits and gravy. The local diner does a great breakfast menu.

Tags
eggs, steak