How do you pronounce "giblets"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How do you pronounce "giblets"?

• Soft-g - as in jib-lits

Votes: 46 79.3%
  • Hard-g - as in Gibb-lets

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • What are giblets?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My dictionary also goes for the jiblet pronunciation.

But the language does evolve, and I don't think the cut of one's jib should be manifest by how one pronounces a fowl's internal bit.

Go back many many decades and you'll find quite a few folks pronounced dungarees as dunjarees. Suspect some of that evolution might be more properly categorized as degradation. Sad example when a president of the US pronounces nuclear as nucular.

Last edited:
The online Merriam-Webster dictionary has it as being pronounced either way. My 30+ year old Webster dictionary has it as jib. Personally, I prefer the hard g.

I pronounce the following: giblets are Jib-lets, caramelize is care-a-mel-ize, (carmel is a town, a mountain, and a type of nun), and basil is ba-zil not bay-zil.

I speak this way because of my parents, my education, and my location. Am I right? Who cares and does it matter?

this is a weird one for me.

my first response is to say that i pronounce it "jiblets", but when i actually read the word, i tend to say "giblet", probably because of seeing the letter "g".

i've noticed my wife also interchanges them, such as when we're talking about picking up cans of cat food. they like turkey and giblets, umm, jiblets.

JIB let for me.

But... I'd like to hear someone order a Vodka Gymlette. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Happy Birthday Michael.

Back
Top Bottom