How do you pronounce "giblets"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How do you pronounce "giblets"?

• Soft-g - as in jib-lits

Votes: 46 79.3%
  • Hard-g - as in Gibb-lets

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • What are giblets?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Michael in FtW

Master Chef
Moderator Emeritus
For some reason while watching all of the cooking shows getting ready for Thanksgiving Day I began to notice a distinct difference in the pronunciation of the word giblets and was curious as to how many pronounce it with the soft-g (jib-lit) or the hard-g (like in gizzard or in the Bee Gee's surname Gibb-lets)?

Katie E said:
"jib," like the sailing term..."lets." I've heard Emeril pronounce them "Gib," like one of the Bee Gees. Not me.

LOL - yeah Katie - at first I just chalked it up to another "Emeralism" ... but then I noticed some other cooks/chefs pronouncing it Gib-lets, too ...and that's what got me curious about how widespread this division in pronunciation might be.

Thanks, Lee!

Andy M. said:
Could it be a geographic difference?

It could be Andy .... that's part of what I was curious about.

I know when I was in Massachusetts a few years ago I noticed that everyone pronounced "stir" more like "stear" ... and some other words containing "R" got special New England treatment, too ... I just don't remember all of them.

Folks around here tend to leave out the 'r' sound. "Pahk the cah in Hahvud yahd." is the classic example. There are, of course, many others. It is also common to add an 'r' to words that don't end with one.

BTW, I say, "stir", not "stear". Also, ahnt, not ant to refer to a parent's female sibling.

Hey, I think I grew up hearing it both ways for what ever reason. I lean towards gib-lets... but I NEVER liked giblet gravy... NEVER!!! Hubby says giblets too and he is from Indiana, but has been severly Texan-ized!

My dictionary also goes for the jiblet pronunciation.

But the language does evolve, and I don't think the cut of one's jib should be manifest by how one pronounces a fowl's internal bit.

My kids joke with me about adding r's to words that do not have one. I guess I always say "idear" instead of idea. Oh well.

Another word that has different pronunciations is gnocchi.

I'm still not sure what I use... since this question has been posed, I'm confused now! LOL! I keep trying to catch myself off guard and figure out what I call these things!

Back
Top Bottom