"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-14-2010, 10:32 AM   #11
Senior Cook
 
snickerdoodle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Quad Cities, Midwest
Posts: 440
Looks like everyone has it covered! I L-O-V-E balsamic vinegar and tend to put it on anything I can get away with. It's kind of a joke at our house, I have my balsamic vinegar, and dh has his Montreal steak seasoning :)
__________________

__________________
snickerdoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:38 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by snickerdoodle View Post
Looks like everyone has it covered! I L-O-V-E balsamic vinegar and tend to put it on anything I can get away with. It's kind of a joke at our house, I have my balsamic vinegar, and dh has his Montreal steak seasoning :)
Yeah, I guess they do. I didn't know about strawberries. I do like to drink a tablespoon on occasion. Love the taste. I'll try on salmon next time.
__________________

__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:43 AM   #13
Senior Cook
 
snickerdoodle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Quad Cities, Midwest
Posts: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Yeah, I guess they do. I didn't know about strawberries. I do like to drink a tablespoon on occasion. Love the taste. I'll try on salmon next time.
VERY good on strawberries. I discovered this when I made a spinach, strawberry and bacon salad with a balsamic vinegarette.
__________________
snickerdoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:02 AM   #14
Cook
 
chefmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Singapore
Posts: 59
I always do a balsamic vinegar reduction... and eat together with seafood productions
__________________
chefmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:00 AM   #15
Head Chef
 
sparrowgrass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Highest point in Missouri
Posts: 1,794
I just made 2 batches of roasted garlic/balsamic vinegar/white wine jelly for Christmas presents. Not for your peanut butter and jelly--but a couple tablespoonsful stirred into pan sauce for chops or chicken--mmmmm.

Roasted Garlic Jelly Recipe - Food.com - 244323

One note--it makes a very stiff jelly. Next time I make it, I will use only one packet of liquid pectin, and see what happens. I used dark balsamic, because that is all I could find.
__________________
I just haven't been the same
since that house fell on my sister.
sparrowgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 12:47 PM   #16
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
I just made 2 batches of roasted garlic/balsamic vinegar/white wine jelly for Christmas presents. Not for your peanut butter and jelly--but a couple tablespoonsful stirred into pan sauce for chops or chicken--mmmmm.

Roasted Garlic Jelly Recipe - Food.com - 244323

One note--it makes a very stiff jelly. Next time I make it, I will use only one packet of liquid pectin, and see what happens. I used dark balsamic, because that is all I could find.
That sounds tasty! Right up my alley!
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 01:36 PM   #17
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 298
A lot of it depends on the grade. Artisanal grades are used in drops generally to accent other foods. It lacks the acidity to work as the primary grade of balsamic in a salad and the cost would be prohibitive too. But a little bit to accent a dressing, sure.

Condimenti and commercial grades are better suited for dressing and marinade and such but taste before using as they're certainly not all equal.

The commercial grades are sometimes reduced to a syrup for accenting meat and such.
__________________
thymeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:09 AM   #18
Cook
 
chefmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Singapore
Posts: 59
Any brand of balsamic to recommend??
__________________
chefmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 01:47 PM   #19
Senior Cook
 
megamark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 141
my sister just made salad dressing.

splenda, vinegar, oil, herbs

tossed with spinach, walnuts and cranberries.
__________________
----------------------------------------------------
The bagel, an unsweetened doughnut with rigor mortis. ~Beatrice & Ira Freeman

//www.lowcarbgrub.com
megamark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 01:51 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by megamark View Post
my sister just made salad dressing.

splenda, vinegar, oil, herbs

tossed with spinach, walnuts and cranberries.
That sounds delicious. Welcome to DC, MegaMark.
__________________

__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.