"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 01-21-2005, 10:35 PM   #11

JP and his peers probably "do" more heads of garlic in six months than any of us eat in a lifetime...and has had more "practice time", (let alone "training") than any ten of us!

Let those "professionals" be the "professionals" they are (being content in the knowledge that we can change out a "flat" faster than they could think, shoot "clay pigeons", shovel a sidewalk, reprogram a PC-pick your "specialty!) in a tenth the time they can...

Old 01-21-2005, 10:42 PM   #12
Head Chef

I use the flat of my great big chef's knife and vent frustrations then the ole "rock 'n chop" routine. Works very well for me and all of my fingers are intact - though if I have lots of garlic to do I cheat with my pampered chef widget and it does beautifully!

Old 01-22-2005, 10:04 AM   #13
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to masteraznchefjr
i can chop it up pretty fast. I smash it with the flat end of my cleaver and cut using that. Its all practice. Well i've been cutting up garlic for a long time.
masteraznchefjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 10:35 AM   #14
Master Chef

I'm fast, especially when showing off, but have lost some skin over the years. I shave the root end off, smash between the cutting board and flat knife side, remove the skins, then chop furiously with a rocking of the knife from tip to bolster. I move the knife around by holding the tip with one hand, and moving the handle with the other. The tip of the knife remains planted on the cutting board. After a few chops, I move the tip and repeat. Usually, I chop multiple cloves at the same time. I'm really mincing the garlic. I do the same when mincing other veggies and such.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 10:48 AM   #15
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Erik
I'm pretty awesome with a knife...but I prefer to be careful.
Old 01-22-2005, 12:32 PM   #16
Senior Cook

i use one of those spring loaded choppers that you get at wal-mart for about 3 bucks. pampered chef makes a nice one for about $10-$12.
Old 01-22-2005, 01:45 PM   #17
Master Chef

GoodWeed and I share the same technique. I don't rush......I enjoy cooking and the relaxation that comes with it so I take my time.
Old 01-22-2005, 02:35 PM   #18
Sous Chef

I use my knife too, not too fast at it but <shrug> nobody's watchin me cook anyway. BTW if you think JP is fast check out Yan of Yan can cook fame, he's got em all beat hands down AND he has ALL his fingers too.
Old 01-22-2005, 02:55 PM   #19
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
I buy mine 95% of the time pre minced. But when I do buy a clove I smash it with my knife and use a small sharp knife and slice it razor thin.
Old 01-22-2005, 03:05 PM   #20
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishedTopaz
I use my knife too, not too fast at it but <shrug> nobody's watchin me cook anyway. BTW if you think JP is fast check out Yan of Yan can cook fame, he's got em all beat hands down AND he has ALL his fingers too.

Yan may be fast, but Jacques has a certain panache that keeps him on the top of my list of favorite chefs. I love to watch him cook.

BC