"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 01-14-2007, 03:36 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Probably 3 weeks, maybe 4. I've never been keen on money on the shelves.

Old 01-14-2007, 03:43 PM   #12
Master Chef

I think I can survive a 1 year blokade. I buy meat whole sale, by a box so, I always have a lot of meat. Some other pruducts too. Well,if not a year then for sure 6 month.

Old 01-14-2007, 08:25 PM   #13
Head Chef

DH would say forever based on how full the freezers are! I'm pretty sure we could do very well for at least 6 months w/out the fuel restrictions. But with those - um - guess I'd cook all I could from the freezer and preserve it with salt? We'd last longer than 6 months but not very well!
Old 01-15-2007, 12:20 AM   #14
Master Chef

Unhappy

Gosh, I feel so inadequate. I only have enough food for about a week. I guess we would be the first to starve.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:31 AM   #15
Master Chef

Yeah, I'm that person at the grocery store that you assume has six kids if you judge by the cart. And I no longer have a second freezer. Or a connected garage. But I still stockpile food. Part of it is how I was raised. Mom grocery (commissary) shopped on payday -- twice a month. Period. That food lasted two weeks, period. We were a family of six, so we usually had TWO grocery carts. Mom froze everything -- bread, milk, you name it. My habits went to once a week (Mom now goes to the store most days!), but I still tend to have the attitude of if you don't tell me what you need on Friday, you probably don't need it until next Friday. So there is lots more food in the house than two people need. When I lived in Florida, I did buy a lot in bulk; but then I cooked for extended family every Sunday. Here it's pretty much just us and whoever we invite over. But I still have a lot more food than two people need. And yes, I was assuming that the freezer and stove were operating; it was a rhetorical question. If you know in advance, you'd be surprised how long you can make your refridgerated and frozen food last. In Florida and Hawaii I learned to freeze bottles of water and make sure every space in the freezer and fridge was full of this ice water. And yes, we did on more than one occaision have to do without electricity, and our fridge and freezer did well, plus we had clean drinking water.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:43 AM   #16
Head Chef

Not so long here in my Milan kitchen. Not as long as a month, maybe three weeks, but we would not be healthy, I have a stock of pasta, rice and flour, but not much.

In UK it would be different if we were in the country (presuming we can go out side). We have a good veg garden, and buy seeds a season in advance, so if we were clever we could keep going for a long while and the chickens would have to get a bit more lean. We live very rurally and the local crops/pasture would keep us all happy for a while. If we can't go outside, on the other hand, I don't want to live that long!
Old 01-15-2007, 09:22 AM   #17
Head Chef

This is an interesting question for me. I work for U of Missouri Extension, and I am on our local Disaster Management team.

Here in Missouri, we live under threat of tornadoes, and ice storms, and, scariest of all, a replay of the New Madrid earthquake. If that big one hits, it will make Katrina seem like a walk in the park, and it is important that people can care for themselves for days, if not weeks.

I do try to keep enough food in the house to last for a while. I have several gallons of water in the utility room, and I know how to drain the water heater if the water system fails.

We recommend that people keep an emergency pack ready, in an easily accessible place. It should contain a change of clothes, sturdy shoes, important papers, prescription meds, a blanket, and other things that I have forgotten, because I DON'T HAVE AN EMERGENCY PACK.

I have just been reading The Great Deluge, about the fiasco that was emergency management during Katrina--if you think the government is gonna come get you after an emergency, you better read that book, and then go get your emergency pack prepared.

Maybe this diatribe was off topic?
Old 01-15-2007, 09:46 AM   #18
Executive Chef

right now...only a few weeks, but still, that's a good amount of time
Old 01-15-2007, 09:50 AM   #19
Head Chef

Sparrowgrass, reading your post reminded me that shortly after transferring to Memphis from So. California I was assigned the task of adapting the companies disaster plan to the new facility. I had a hard time finding the right person in local govt. to get details on the existing municipal plan. When I finally found him, he explained the plan pretty much boiled down to "every man for hisself."
This was over eleven years ago. Things may have changed since then.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 10:08 AM   #20
Executive Chef

How long can you eat on the food currently in your house you ask?

16 years.........after reading the other comments, I guess I'm a bit over the top with my answer. Both refrigs are stuffed as are both freezers and the kitchen store/store room/pantry is overflowing. I adore grocery stores and in my house, it shows.