"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 01-14-2007, 09:19 AM   #1
Master Chef

How long can you survive on the food already in your house?

Something I just responded to made me ask this question. If you had to, how long could you live on the food you now have in your house? I'm thinking about it myself, and I know it would easily be 6 months (assuming I know there is a problem to begin with). What do you think?

Old 01-14-2007, 09:28 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Assuming it was a "eat to stay alive situation" yeah I think 6 months..maybe more

Old 01-14-2007, 09:44 AM   #3
Head Chef

If I knew ahead of time, at least 6 months, probably longer. Now for all of my animals, their food wouldn't last but a month. My biggest problem here is that we have to haul or have water hauled to us. The 2500 gallon tank lasts us and all of my animals 4 to 6 weeks depending on the time of year and how dry it is.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:48 AM   #4
Sous Chef

'WAY too long. I very much need to "eat out of my freezer" for a while!! It makes for funny lookin' meals!
Old 01-14-2007, 12:10 PM   #5
Executive Chef

If my appetite does not fail me, one year at least before taking stock of the balance.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:15 PM   #6
Head Chef

Forever. We are both children of folks who lived throuh the depression and are squirrels to boot.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:04 PM   #7
Master Chef

Do you mean just "eat", or "eat well"? There's definitely a difference.

If it was just plain survival, probably 3 months. If you mean actual normal "meals", probably a month.

However, keep in mind that I live in a small house with very little storage/pantry space, have only one refrigerator/freezer (no extra freezer or anything), & always prefer shopping several times a week for fresh food.
Old 01-14-2007, 02:35 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Same as Breezy, I dont have an extra freezer to store things, nor do I have a pantry, and also tend to buy food several times a week for freshness, so I guess maybe a month or less.
Old 01-14-2007, 02:45 PM   #9
Head Chef

Well, I know I have 2 twenty five pound bags of rice in the house, some canned tomatoes and green beans, frozen corn and meat in the freezer, and the chickens lay 8 to 10 eggs a day. I am probably good for a couple months.

However, I only have a 12 pack of Diet Coke, so by Tuesday, I am gonna be looting the convenience store.
Old 01-14-2007, 03:19 PM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire
Something I just responded to made me ask this question. If you had to, how long could you live on the food you now have in your house? I'm thinking about it myself, and I know it would easily be 6 months (assuming I know there is a problem to begin with). What do you think?
Interesting questions and some very interesting replies. Just for the sake of playing the devil's advocate I will posit a lack of available fuel for electrical generation, hence frozen foods. In that case, survival time could still be virtually unlimited given the storage of legumes, rice, wheat berries, etc. Canned tomatoes, to last a year or two, are easy to accumulate and store. Other fruits and vegetables seem to me to be more problematic because of the need for their periodic replacement. I have no probem using up the aging canned tomatoes, but the canned peas are another matter.

I'd guess my ability to live off what is on hand to about a year.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote