How many bones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

velochic

Sous Chef
We had a curious experience last night. Went to one of those roadhouse chain restaurants and dh got 1/2 of a rack of babyback ribs. The plate came out and he had 3 bones of ribs.

I thought that there were a lot more than 6 bones in a full rack. I did a google search and couldn't find anything definitive, so I thought I'd ask here. How many bones in a full rack? It's more like 14 isn't it? That would have made his order less than 1/4 of a rack?

Needless to say, it wasn't a great meal. To top it off, half of the stuff was cold when it came out. Are all of the roadhouse chains like this, because the quality and value was very, very disappointing? Or maybe I'm spoiled. :)

:) That had to be 1/4 rack.Did you ask about it?Maybe they had a new cook who was clueless.I would imagine that road houses would have good food.

agreed, it's a quarter rack, or less, depending on if you got the small end or the larger end. i go by the amount of meat you get, not necessarily on counting the bones.

a half rack should be about 6 bones, a full rack should have 12 to 14 bones.

everything you need to know about ribs: Pork - Ribs - Knowledge - Hormel Foods

Most "slabs" of loin backs contain 11 to 13 bones depending on the butchering process. A "rack" of ribs can be any amount over 2 bones depending on the restaurant up to 11. So they didn't lie about it being a "rack" of ribs. They just ripped you off!

velochic said:
We had a curious experience last night. Went to one of those roadhouse chain restaurants and dh got 1/2 of a rack of babyback ribs. The plate came out and he had 3 bones of ribs.

I thought that there were a lot more than 6 bones in a full rack. I did a google search and couldn't find anything definitive, so I thought I'd ask here. How many bones in a full rack? It's more like 14 isn't it? That would have made his order less than 1/4 of a rack?

Needless to say, it wasn't a great meal. To top it off, half of the stuff was cold when it came out. Are all of the roadhouse chains like this, because the quality and value was very, very disappointing? Or maybe I'm spoiled. :)

I hope I recall this correctly... while watching tv (either the News or Food TV?), there was mention of a chain/restaurant serving smaller portions (& yes I think it was ribs), for either portion control or a lower price? They claimed? the customers were happy with the 'smaller' size. I would think, however, that the menu should/would indicate you're not getting a full slab -- cuz 3 ribs isn't even close. I would also look at the price. If you paid for a full slab, and did not receive it, I would have gone to the manager - and 'make no bones about it.' :rolleyes: When I want ribs (& know ahead of time), I will go to my fave rib joint, or an establishment that specializes in BBQ. One of my faves for ribs is/was Tony Romas. Yeah, I think you were ripped off. Sorry to hear it.

Edited to add: The restaurant/establishment felt customers would like this option, so they don't have to pay for a large portion, then take half of it home uneaten.

Here's a little more info on TGIF's take:
T.G.I. Friday’s “Right Portion, Right Price” is Right Direction, Says CSPI ~ Newsroom ~ News from CSPI

Last edited:
kitchenelf said:
*amy* - they ordered a 1/2 rack, not a whole rack. Just wanted to clarify that for you.

Half a rack, imo, should be about six ribs -- especially since they are baby backs.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. Just thought I may have missed a cultural transition when we were gone overseas. It was very little meat on 3 bones and the price was $13.99 for "a half rack of baby back pork ribs".

What Uncle Bob said is correct. The restaurant did not lie. They can almost call a rack anything they want. Slab is an actual measured amount, but rack is not.

Yeah, Uncle Bob is right. But most people think of a rack of ribs as a slab.

Also the price you paid for those few ribs seems really high, at least to me.

We can get a slab for that plus some darned good sides.

I usually do not complain, I just vote with my feet and never go back.

Have found that complaining may get you a few bucks off the meal but it leaves me unhappy and I have never seen it change a method of preparation.

Sorry about the incident, hope there is a better place near you.

It may be a simple as an inexperienced wait person puting in the wrong order or misinforming the customer. Or it may be restaurant policy. I always question. But if food was cold etc...that place has a problem. C'mom, Friendly's can turn out hot food and thy're an ice cream place!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom