How many here grind their own black pepper?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been grinding my own black pepper for years. A couple years ago, I bought a second grinder, and keep it stocked with White peppercorns.

lugaru, i've always wondered about using a peppercorn mix. i've used lots of fresh crushed black pepper in most dishes, and white pepper in cream sauces and mashed potatoes (ever since someone made dinner for me, and as i was helping wash up, i noticed the non-stick lining in one of my good pots was shredded. the bits of what i thought was black pepper in the mashed taters was the teflon coating :shock: she used a blender with metal blades in the pot ).
but what would you make with red and green peppercorns? do they taste much different than black and white peppercorns?

next to my black pepper grinder, i keep another grinder filled with medium chunk sea salt. i don't think it helps the flavor, but i end up putting less salt i the dish that way.

I keep four grinders around.
1 Pensey Extra Bold Telecherry
2 " Saurak this is wonderful for so many things!!!
3 " Plain Telechrry
4 some White telecherry I bought last year in NYC

If I need ground pepper to sprinkle like you do Kosher salt, I use # 3.

There hasn't been a can of pre ground pepper in our house for at least 15 yrs.

I keep four grinders around.
1 Pensey Extra Bold Telecherry
2 " Saurak this is wonderful for so many things!!!
3 " Plain Telechrry
4 some White I think' telecherry I bought last year in NYC

If I need ground pepper to sprinkle like you do Kosher salt, I use # 3.

There hasn't been a can of pre ground pepper in our house for at least 15 yrs.

Robt (or anybody), Can you explain the difference between Saurak and Telecherry for me? I have only bought the whole peppercorns that my supermarket carries so I don't even know what kind those are, but I am placing a Penzy's order soon and want to get pepper. I don't know which of these to get (or maybe I should just get both).

I have been grinding for more years than most of you have been alive.

I don't keep pre-ground pepper in my house.

ALWAYS. Mom owned many pepper grinders in my youth, and most were ... oh, well, won't use that word. Then one day she paid a little more and bought a peugeot. When hubby and I sold most of what we owned to travel for a few years in a little trailer, I quit buying ground pepper at all, just brought along my trusty peugot (I really don't feel like getting up and looking at the spelling, so 'scuse me!!). Haven't bought ground pepper in 5 years or so, all my pepper shakers hold salt. When we moved here, I fell in love with tellicherry peppercorns and go out of my way to get them.

A lot of people here seem to enjoy stories, and some will have read this on the other food site.

I threw a party in Hawaii once, and had the pepper mill sitting on the table. When I cleaned up the next day, no pepper mill. Huh? looked and looked and looked. Oh, well, gone. Bought a new one.

Rainy season came and went, the yard's growth went crazy as it will there. I went out and did some serious growth cut back, and found .... yes, my pepper mill in a puddle under some leaves. It had been missing for about 3 months. I took it in, let it sit and dry .... and yes, it kept on working. Looked like hades, but worked.

Moved here 2 decades later, and again, after a party, lost track of it. A month later found it in a corner of the garden (my parties aren't THAT wild, honest!!), under a layer of snow, cleaned it up, and ... yes, it keeps on going.

The local spice man sells Peugeot grinders, and I wanted a new one, thinking mine was on its last legs (no kidding), and he showed me how to take it apart to clean and dry it out. The darned thing is still going. I still bought a new Peugeot from him (mine looks like heck and is my kitchen grinder) for the dining room table.

Needless to say, there's only one brand for me.

Gee, maybe I should write to Peugeot!!!???

Back
Top Bottom