How Many Pacski Did You Eat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
2 - one strawberry, and for the sake of authentic tradtion, 1 prune.

John

Lugaru...here ya go:

Paczki (punch-key) Day is the feast of plenty before the Lenten fast begins. It is the last day of gaiety in Karnawal time, the period between Christmas and Lent. This is the time for sleigh parties called Kulig. To mark the last moments of excess before the austerity of Lenten sacrifice, Polish Roman Catholics celebrate Paczki Day.

On this day the traditional deep fried pastries (something like jelly doughnuts) are enjoyed throughout the world's Polonias. This joyous activity precedes the Gorzkie Zale (lamentation services) of Lent in Polonian churches. In Poland, Paczki Day takes place the Thursday before Ash Wednesday, called Tlusty Czwartek (Fat Thursday). Long lines form in front of the bakeries in Polonia, and millions of Paczki are sold.

In United States Polonia, Paczki Day takes place the Tuesday before Ash Wednesday, traditionally called Fat Tuesday in Carnival. Polish American bakeries also supply Paczki in the hundreds of thousands that day. Often in American Polonia, Paczki Day is celebrated with polka dances. In Roman Catholic grammar schools throughout American Polonia, children enjoy Paczki at school on that day.

They are sold with many fillings: custard, apricot, cheese, strawberry, blueberry...etc...

The traditional one is prune filled!!!

In Polish, Paczcki just means donut.

Somehow that got attached to Fat Tuesday, but who's complaining?? :D

John
(A proud pollack who spent most of last Saturday making homemade pierogi - This weekend, Golabki!)

lol ronjohn. my son is 1/4 pollock, ummm, polish. my fil was polish american. someday i hope to have a flagpole with my families' nationalities (polish, slovakian, norwegian, and irish) flying below old glory.
do you know what's the name of the sweet poppy seed filling in polish cakes? and the prune one too?

buckytom said:
lol ronjohn. my son is 1/4 pollock, ummm, polish. my fil was polish american. someday i hope to have a flagpole with my families' nationalities (polish, slovakian, norwegian, and irish) flying below old glory.
do you know what's the name of the sweet poppy seed filling in polish cakes? and the prune one too?

You mean the poppyseed cakes? They're called Makowiec. Don't know if there's a name just for the filling. The prune one, I dpn't know offhand.

Gonna get myself over to Poland one of these years, maybe I'll even manage to drag Dad along. Not sure if anyone remembers where his family was from (family legend has them in southern Poland, and also in what is now part of the Czech republic). They were all already here when WWII started.

John

Now I know where my fried raviolli came from. (probably)

And a "pollack" is a fish, belonging to the general family to which cod belong, (Gadidae) and known as Pollachius pollachius, normally found in deep water around wrecks, and fished with lures.

In Hawaii, we celebrate "Fat Tuesday" with Portugese sweet bread or malasadas. Here is a recipe from Punahou's carnival. Malasadas is the biggest seller in the carnival.

Malasadas are one of the all time favorite snacks at community functions and fund-raisers. If you make this, you will rapidly become popular with all of your local friends. A non-traditional (read haole) way of preparing this is to add nutmeg or cinnamon to the sugar mixture that is used to coat the maladsadas.

Ingredients:

1 package yeast (1 T)
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 cup warm water

6 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup melted butter or margarine
1 cup water
1 cup evaporated milk
6 eggs

1 quart vegetable oil (to cook)
extra sugar

Procedure
Dissolve yeast, sugar and water and set aside. Beat eggs. Measure flour into mixing bowl and add salt. Make a well in the flour, pour yeast mixture, eggs and other ingredients. Beat in circular motion until the dough is soft. Cover, let raise until double. Turn dough over but do not punch down. Cover and let raise again. Heat oil to 375 degrees and drop dough by teaspoon full into oil and cook until brown. Shake in brown bag with sugar. Best when hot.

Note: If the malasadas have a tendency to come out with the center still doughy, turn the heat down on the oil which will allow them to cook longer.

Darkstream said:
Now I know where my fried raviolli came from. (probably)

And a "pollack" is a fish, belonging to the general family to which cod belong, (Gadidae) and known as Pollachius pollachius, normally found in deep water around wrecks, and fished with lures.

And a darned Tasty fish at that!!!

Pollack is also that famous slang nickname (Pole-lock), at least around here! ;)

John

alaskan pollack, pronounced pah-luck, is often used to make imitation crab legs. if you've had a california roll, you've probably had pollack.

pollock, pronounced poh-lock, is a slang term for a person of polish nationality or ancestry. it's an insult or a term of endearment, depending on how it's used, and how well you know the person you are referring it to, kind of like calling an irishman a paddy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom