"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 08-11-2007, 12:39 AM   #21
Sous Chef
I would say 40-60 dollars a week cooking for one. This week I have probably spent less. Some weeks I spend more depending on what I plan on making. When I entertain guests the bill rises exponentially, as I dont charge my friends to eat over ..

Heres some typical days and costs for anyone whos wondering. (this is for making at home, not ordering out)

Breakfast : 2 waffles (approx. cost .50-.75)

Lunch: Snacked on some Synders of Hanover Honey Mustard Preztels (busy day... cost. 1.00)

dinner: Hot Sausage Stacked Sandwhich (hot sausage (1.00) cheese (.25?) fresh cut cabbage slaw (.35/head) 1 white potato (under .50), 1/2 tomato (1.00?) (fresh italian bread 1.25 loaf (2 slices...40 cents?)

so one day was under 5 bucks.

Dinner : Cheddar Burgers for myself and a friend yesterday (with kaiser rolls) somethin like 3.00
Lunch: Had imitation crab salad for lunch (2.00-3.00)

So another 5 dollar day.

Dinner : Tilapia (3.59) w/ Sushi, (8 rolls, approx 2.00) served on rice (.30?) plus the fruity salsa (tomatoes, onion, cilantro, guava nectar,garlic) about 2.00)
Lunch : chicken club sandwhich (approx. 2.00)

Theres a 10 dollar day cuz I got into dinner alittle.

I normally skip a meal, breakfast or lunch, never dinner.

I average about 7 bucks a day Id say, give or take. Some days Ill spend upwards of 30-50 bucks on a meal though if Im into it. I havent been going out to eat much recently either, which keeps costs low. Im about to move so I'm doing my best to keep costs low.

"wok-a wok-a"
BBQ Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 05:16 AM   #22
Head Chef
Originally Posted by MJ
I don't keep track of what I spend. I just get what we need.
That's me, too. Also, I tend to shop briefly but often. The fishmonger or butcher see me two or three times a week. I go to the farmer's market on Friday and get veg at other stands when in season. I go to "big box" grocers every 2 or 3 months for garbage bags, paper towels, etc. In the winter, the local health food store has organic produce. All in all, I probably go through $75-$100/week, but that's just a guess.

"To be broke is not a disgrace, it is only a catastrophe." -- Nero Wolfe/Rex Stout
bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 06:35 AM   #23
Executive Chef
For all consumables, including cigs, booze, paper goods, soap etc., about $175 per week for two people. We havenít been to a restaurant more than once a month for the last few years.
justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 06:41 AM   #24
Sous Chef
Cooking is a hobby of mine, so when I'm experimenting with recipes I may spend $150/wk for just me. When I'm busy with school/work it's more like $75/wk - but that includes an $8-$10 bottle of wine for dinner one night.

Last year I played around with some lobster recipes and blew $300 one week! But then that balances out with the weeks I play with recipes using grains/staples. Those weeks I might get by on $35-$40 worth of stuff.

My weekly grocery list is usually heavily polarized. A few extremely cheap items (the staples) and a few expensive items (like the wine, a nice cut of meat, some fresh spices, etc).

During the summer I tend to spend more on food though, because I tend to buy more expensive cuts of meat. During the winter I make a lot of braised dishes which use dirt-cheap cuts. I also tend to use more root vegetables rather than specially cultivated vegetables and lettuces.

Lately I haven't been eating very much meat - in the direct sense of the word. I cook with a LOT of stock/glaces and rendered fats, and with light summer dishes I tend to be quite happy with soups, salads, pastas, and grains. I do have my weekly two-rib cote du bouef though.... mmmm... (one of those expensive items on my list... usually about 25% of my grocery bill - haha!).
Nick ~ "Egg whites are good for a lot of things; lemon meringue pie, angel food cake, and clogging up radiators." - MacGyver
Nicholas Mosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 07:24 AM   #25
Senior Cook
Originally Posted by SierraCook
Today, I went grocery shopping in Reno, NV. I have picked a few common items and listed them below. I am curious as to how much other folks spend for these or similar items.

1 gallon 1% milk = $2.28

Whole wheat flour 5 lbs. = $2.28

1lb. butter - $2.56

Asparagus 1lb. = $1.48

1lb. sliced salami = $4.34

1 can beef broth = $0.68

8 oz. can tomato sauce = $0.56

extra lean ground beef 1lb. = $2.68

My total bill came to $84.53. How much do you normally spend for a week of groceries?
like bbq mikey and michael in ftw, I spend about $40-$50 per week for one. i'll throw in a plug to BUY LOCAL. Not only are local veggies cheaper, they are usually fresher and don't have to travel across the world to get to my table.

About the prices above, I don't normally buy most of the items on your list but here's some prices (most are much more expensive here in the NY metro area):

1 gal milk: $4.00
5 lbs flour: $2.79
lb. butter: $4.00
lb. asparagus: $4.00 (local grown on sale can be around $1.99/lb)
lb. salami: the cheapest is $5.99 / lb
can of broth: $1.00
8 oz tomato sauce: $0.39
.lb ground beef (93% lean): $4.19

around here, everything is about double except the tomato sauce. ugh - I need a raise! :)

healthyfoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 09:08 AM   #26
Master Chef
DH does the grocery shopping, so I'm not as up on prices as I used to be, but I do know that milk runs about $3.50 a gallon, $4.00 for the chocolate milk that he loves.
We spend about $100 a week for the two of us, not counting alcohol. If we're having guests, that amount goes up, of course.
I remember when I used to have $25 a week to feed a family of 4. Of course that bought a lot more then than it does now, but it still took a lot of penny pinching to put good, balanced meals on the table.
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 09:45 AM   #27
Master Chef
While we shop at all the local markets around here (CostCo, Giant, Food Lion, Safeway, the farmers' markets, & local gourmet markets), we definitely get most of our groceries from Wal-Mart. Prices on basics are just too good to pass up, & the quality of their produce is nearly always better than the other supermarkets, which is a BIG plus since we eat a lot of fruits & vegetables. (It's also a rather sad comment on how the other markets handle their produce.)

I'd estimate that we spend an average of $100-$150 per week for the two of us, including wine.
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 09:55 AM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Our nearest shopping area is almost 30 miles away, so I take a day to get everything and shop every 2 weeks. I have a set budget, currently $190 and take that amount in cash with me. When the money's gone, I'm done.

On my trip, I purchase everything we need, which includes all meat, fish, poultry, fruits, veggies, dairy, nonperishables, soft drinks, pastas, flours and baking goods, paper products, drug/cosmetic items, pet foods/supplies, greeting/holiday cards, etc.

It's a juggling act, especially when the prices keep going up. I depend heavily on sales and use coupons only on the items we need/use. I will only use a coupon on a new item if I'm sure we might like it and to see what it might be like.

I shop where the bargains are and purchase a great deal of our groceries at a bag-it-yourself store. The cost there for a can of condensed cream of mushroom soup is only 39 cents and a 3-pound bag of onions is 99 cents.

I'm very disciplined and make a detailed list and stick to it. I've refined my shopping to the extent that I can usually get everything on my list before I run out of money.
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 11:56 AM   #29
Head Chef
My SO and I shop 1 time a month and the bill runs around $275-$300.Unlees I have to get like Detergent, toothpast, shampoo and such then it around
$35-$50 more.
Life is short.So eat great food!
Renee Attili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 12:29 PM   #30
I dont pay attention... if I want it... I get it. I probably should pay more attention though. I just try to take advantage of the Buy One=Get One's and load up on things I use alot even if I dont need them right then. Hopefully my impulse shopping balances out with some of the savings.

DaniaBchGirl is offline   Reply With Quote