"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 02-26-2005, 09:51 PM   #1
Master Chef

How much do you spend for groceries?

Today, I went grocery shopping in Reno, NV. I have picked a few common items and listed them below. I am curious as to how much other folks spend for these or similar items.

1 gallon 1% milk = $2.28

Whole wheat flour 5 lbs. = $2.28

1lb. butter - $2.56

Asparagus 1lb. = $1.48

1lb. sliced salami = $4.34

1 can beef broth = $0.68

8 oz. can tomato sauce = $0.56

extra lean ground beef 1lb. = $2.68

My total bill came to $84.53. How much do you normally spend for a week of groceries?

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 10:06 PM   #2
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Erik
Over here in the Michigan/Indiana, the prices are pretty comparable to what you paid for groceries.

We personally scan through ads to check what is on sale, and go to a few different things.

Old 02-27-2005, 04:30 PM   #3
Executive Chef

My grocery spending is a little in the inflated side right now, as I'm adjusting to buying some bulk stuff that I can store in the deep freezer, and lots of non-perishables that I can store in my pantry (it's HUGE). I've been off work this month, and wanted to try to stock up so that I wouldn't have to worry about buying to much. Luckily, I never went broke, as I bought some things here-and-there, like fresh produce, and other odd-ball ingredients that I just don't have.

I'm still in the process of bulking my inventory up on some things, like condiments. Lately, when I've run out of some things, like ketchup, BBQ, etc., I've gone and bought two bottles instead of one. One goes into the fridge, and the other into the pantry downstairs. When I bring the backup bottle up, I'll note it on the list and buy it the next time I go shopping.

One thing I've noticed doing this, is that I'm not neccessarily bound to shopping for groceries once a week. I can go longer. Of course, I'm branching out and trying new things, so I'm still buying things.

Hopefully my spending will settle down over the next few months as we get things worked out. It's different going from an apartment with little storage space to a house with LOTS of storage space.
Old 02-27-2005, 05:39 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I try to paln my menu according to what is on sale. I really like the "two for the price of one" sales.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:36 AM   #5
Master Chef

Pretty close in pricing here also......except for the asparagus which is around 2.99 pound.
Old 02-28-2005, 06:22 AM   #6
Head Chef

I try to shop the sales, and have limited storage so can't build up much of an inventory. I think I'm pretty careful, but sometimes splurge on a great ingredient, or piece of meat. Our prices for regular stuff are about average, I'd say.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:20 AM   #7
Executive Chef

When everyone eats salads for lunch everyday, very hard to put budget on it. Salads, fruit, protein mix, vegetable, meat, starch, and dessert for supper really takes most of our budget. My lifelong slogan has been you are what you eat. Better to spend on groceries than to the doctor for prescriptions. If nothing else I put forth the effort of trying to eat right. My house is not anything to brag about same goes for our wardrobe so we make investment in what has to make it through everyday our body. Our heritage plays big part in this and since my mom's people were all crippled I try to do positive effort and everything without too many preservatives. People are only fooling themselves when they save on food. That is the only logical place since society has gotten so materilistic and greedy. Should live within means and should do the best with what you got. This country would not be so out of shape if they would pay attention to eating right rather than having job to buy new items. Most people would rather go out to a job rather than putting time into meal preparation. Right now I have all my chicken back, necks, cooking for soup. Takes me time to cut vegetables and take meat off the bones. I could be at a job making money instead.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:26 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Hope I don't come across as some 'know it all' but I have deep conscientious ideas about trying to remain healthy when you grow up with most of relatives in wheelchairs. Not funny, very serious. Life is not lived when being dependent.
Old 02-28-2005, 04:28 PM   #9
Certified Executive Chef

SierraCook, it is hard to say how much I spend for groceries each week because I buy my meat and butter at costco, and when I do the bonless pork chops are $2.49 a pound and the package is usually about $19.00 (about 13 chops+), fresh (Tyson) chicken breasts (individuall vacuum packed) is about $20.00 ($2.99 a pound for about 12 breasts) and steaks ( usually choice top sirloin @ $4.69 a pound or choice london broil @ $3.69) are about $21.00 a package and usually is about 10 meals, 1 lb pkg brie from France is $4.69, butter 4 1-lb packages @ ~7.99 for the four, 2 lb bulk Tillamook sharp cheddar @ $7.49. This usually lasts about 4-5 weeks. Then I shop TJ's or Market of Choice for fresh vegies, salad stuff, milk, etc. I just buy what I need and take the most economical path. If I had to put a price on it, probably $75 a week, and I am not including the household items I get at wal mart.
Old 02-28-2005, 06:25 PM   #10
Executive Chef

norgeskog, must like Costco. Never been there. Is it similar to Sam's connected with Wal Mart? You think the meat is pretty good? Have been looking to try someplace other than the market I go to. They usually try to please whatever I ask them to order. Like Ugly tomatoes. When someone gives personal attention you feel like not being fair.