How much do you spend for groceries?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SierraCook

Master Chef
Today, I went grocery shopping in Reno, NV. I have picked a few common items and listed them below. I am curious as to how much other folks spend for these or similar items.

1 gallon 1% milk = $2.28

Whole wheat flour 5 lbs. = $2.28

1lb. butter - $2.56

Asparagus 1lb. = $1.48

1lb. sliced salami = $4.34

1 can beef broth = $0.68

8 oz. can tomato sauce = $0.56

extra lean ground beef 1lb. = $2.68

My total bill came to $84.53. How much do you normally spend for a week of groceries?

Over here in the Michigan/Indiana, the prices are pretty comparable to what you paid for groceries.

We personally scan through ads to check what is on sale, and go to a few different things.

My grocery spending is a little in the inflated side right now, as I'm adjusting to buying some bulk stuff that I can store in the deep freezer, and lots of non-perishables that I can store in my pantry (it's HUGE). I've been off work this month, and wanted to try to stock up so that I wouldn't have to worry about buying to much. Luckily, I never went broke, as I bought some things here-and-there, like fresh produce, and other odd-ball ingredients that I just don't have.

I'm still in the process of bulking my inventory up on some things, like condiments. Lately, when I've run out of some things, like ketchup, BBQ, etc., I've gone and bought two bottles instead of one. One goes into the fridge, and the other into the pantry downstairs. When I bring the backup bottle up, I'll note it on the list and buy it the next time I go shopping.

One thing I've noticed doing this, is that I'm not neccessarily bound to shopping for groceries once a week. I can go longer. Of course, I'm branching out and trying new things, so I'm still buying things.

Hopefully my spending will settle down over the next few months as we get things worked out. It's different going from an apartment with little storage space to a house with LOTS of storage space.

I try to paln my menu according to what is on sale. I really like the "two for the price of one" sales.

I try to shop the sales, and have limited storage so can't build up much of an inventory. I think I'm pretty careful, but sometimes splurge on a great ingredient, or piece of meat. Our prices for regular stuff are about average, I'd say.

When everyone eats salads for lunch everyday, very hard to put budget on it. Salads, fruit, protein mix, vegetable, meat, starch, and dessert for supper really takes most of our budget. My lifelong slogan has been you are what you eat. Better to spend on groceries than to the doctor for prescriptions. If nothing else I put forth the effort of trying to eat right. My house is not anything to brag about same goes for our wardrobe so we make investment in what has to make it through everyday our body. Our heritage plays big part in this and since my mom's people were all crippled I try to do positive effort and everything without too many preservatives. People are only fooling themselves when they save on food. That is the only logical place since society has gotten so materilistic and greedy. Should live within means and should do the best with what you got. This country would not be so out of shape if they would pay attention to eating right rather than having job to buy new items. Most people would rather go out to a job rather than putting time into meal preparation. Right now I have all my chicken back, necks, cooking for soup. Takes me time to cut vegetables and take meat off the bones. I could be at a job making money instead.

Hope I don't come across as some 'know it all' but I have deep conscientious ideas about trying to remain healthy when you grow up with most of relatives in wheelchairs. Not funny, very serious. Life is not lived when being dependent.

SierraCook, it is hard to say how much I spend for groceries each week because I buy my meat and butter at costco, and when I do the bonless pork chops are $2.49 a pound and the package is usually about $19.00 (about 13 chops+), fresh (Tyson) chicken breasts (individuall vacuum packed) is about $20.00 ($2.99 a pound for about 12 breasts) and steaks ( usually choice top sirloin @ $4.69 a pound or choice london broil @ $3.69) are about $21.00 a package and usually is about 10 meals, 1 lb pkg brie from France is $4.69, butter 4 1-lb packages @ ~7.99 for the four, 2 lb bulk Tillamook sharp cheddar @ $7.49. This usually lasts about 4-5 weeks. Then I shop TJ's or Market of Choice for fresh vegies, salad stuff, milk, etc. I just buy what I need and take the most economical path. If I had to put a price on it, probably $75 a week, and I am not including the household items I get at wal mart.

norgeskog, must like Costco. Never been there. Is it similar to Sam's connected with Wal Mart? You think the meat is pretty good? Have been looking to try someplace other than the market I go to. They usually try to please whatever I ask them to order. Like Ugly tomatoes. When someone gives personal attention you feel like not being fair.

I guess I could have been a little more clear in my post. I got off on a tangent that's different from the main subject.

I think, on average, we're spending about $75 - $100 a week for groceries. But, I'm also building up supplies for my pantry and freezer. Once I get the bulk of my goods in, my weekly (or maybe even bi-weekly) grocery bill will drop somewhat.

I have been watching the sales lately, hitting the 2-for-1 sales hard. It's a great way to build up supplies, especially on non-perishable goods.

In the Kitchen said:
norgeskog, must like Costco. Never been there. Is it similar to Sam's connected with Wal Mart? You think the meat is pretty good? Have been looking to try someplace other than the market I go to. They usually try to please whatever I ask them to order. Like Ugly tomatoes. When someone gives personal attention you feel like not being fair.

I do like Costco, that is where I shop for meat. They have choice meat, the supermarkets have select or worse, even filet's are tough with lots of grissle, good for shoe repair. Yes, Sams is owned by the same people as WalMart. Costco has the best prices for what I buy.

In The Kitchen, I'm with you 100%. I'm very fussy about what I put onto my table and what I put into my mouth. I can honestly say there is one out of the box item that I make, Parmesan-Buttermilk CousCous by FarEast. Otherwise everything I make is pretty much made from scratch and made from fresh ingrediants. I'll grab a jar of pre-made pesto or a jar of roasted red peppers but it's easy to see on the ingrediants list exactly what's in there. =P And there's definitely nothing I can't pronounce or can't tell you what it is. And I know that eating this way makes a huge difference; I haven't had a migraine in about three years, I've lost weight, my skin is clear, my hair shiney and I've more energy now that I ever thought imaginable.

<3
Z

Way to go Zereh! Good for you! You are surely going to keep this kind of discipline going. Lot of work but as you said look at the benefits. I am so happy and proud of you. Better than just adding water and finding out that when you see your doctor he asks what have you been eating? Always know if you are conscious of your health or not. Thanks for your agreement. Right now I just finished picking the meat off the bones for chicken soup. Must have soup at least twice month. Summer or winter, I fix the soup. Throw many of my vegetables that we didn't finish in there. They never know what they will find. Kind of surprise. I even have some parsnips that are getting mushy and they are going in t here too. Trouble is, the pot doesn't seem big enough to get my dumplings in there so I may have to get some more dishes dirty. I do add some pickling spice as suggested by someone who was saying her grandfather threw it in. Anyway I will also add some garlic, almost 5lbs of onions, etc. I always like it when the stock gets the fat to rise to the top. I will have to look for The CousCous as it must be different due to the fact that is something you don't make from scratch. Not having migraines is a true blessing. Only time I had migraines was when I was married. My life was really on a downhill spiral. But the sun is shining today and I am happy to be able to fix the best for my family. I am happy someone else goes the 'extra' for their crew. They deserve it. Trouble is they don't want to go to restaurants anymore. Said it doesn't taste the same. Ho Ho Ho. Happy you responded thanks.

SierraCook said:
Today, I went grocery shopping in Reno, NV. I have picked a few common items and listed them below. I am curious as to how much other folks spend for these or similar items.

1 gallon 1% milk = $2.28

Whole wheat flour 5 lbs. = $2.28

1lb. butter - $2.56

Asparagus 1lb. = $1.48

1lb. sliced salami = $4.34

1 can beef broth = $0.68

8 oz. can tomato sauce = $0.56

extra lean ground beef 1lb. = $2.68

My total bill came to $84.53. How much do you normally spend for a week of groceries?

1 gallon skin milk is $3.29

5 lbs. white flour $1.99

butter $2.99 pound

asparagus this week is $4.99 lb ! outrageous

beef broth .89 can

15 ounce can tomatoe sauce .89

90% lean ground beef is around $2.80 lb I think

I live in Maine, so in the winter our produce is very expensive. Basically everything that is healthy is expensive here. The minimum I spend each week is $100, but typically around $150 for just three people! I'd like to get that down to $100 or less each week.

I usually spend at least $150.00 for 3 each week. But that also includes cleaning supplies, plastic wrap, laundry detergent ect....
Lately it's been higher, I've been cooking for 5.
I also shop for bulk items at Costco and find them to be high in quality and a great bang for the buck. I've never bought a bad piece of meat from them. I usually buy a whole cryovac boneless rib there, take it home and cut it into ribeye steaks and save on the average about $1.50 to $2.00 a lb. as compaired to our local grocery stores. Some of the produce however has been so so.
I agree with Bang on planning my meals around whats on sale.
John.

I don't keep track of what I spend. I just get what we need.

Well - I live alone and cook for one ... about $50/week.

I, too, plan the menu for the week based on what is on sale that week. And, I also stock up on "staples" when they are on sale at a really good price ... like tuna at 2 cans/$1 instead of the usual $0.89 can ... etc. When bell peppers are on sale 3/$1 I might make stuffed peppers, but not when they are $1/each - that kind of thing.

I shop at the big box store and try and buy for one month as I just cook for myself now and my monthly bill is around $150, I buy produce once a week if nessary, I cook once eat twice or more. I cook every thing from scratch
can't stand all of the chemicals that is in food today

Back
Top Bottom