"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 08-07-2007, 06:44 PM   #11
Sous Chef
I'm actually a stay-at-home mom. During the school year, sometimes I'll take several hours during the day to make some dishes. I'll putz along and do some chopping in the morning, then if I have to cook off something, I might do that later. If dd is helping me (during the summer), I don't usually do this.

So, I might take 2 hours to prep and cook or I might take only 30 minutes. I cook about 97% from scratch (I'll use things like organic tinned broths, tinned beans... anything that is minimally processed without preservatives, frozen veggies, etc.) so my meals often involve quite a bit of chopping.

If I worked full-time, there's no way I could cook like this, so kudos to you for cooking for your family!!

Life is too short to eat processed, artificially-colored, chemically-preserved, genetically-modified food. Or maybe that IS why life's too short.
velochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 09:29 PM   #12
Executive Chef
since I adore being anywhere near the kitchen, it takes me hours often times. but there's no where I'd rather be so it's my pleasure time.
I like to do things that take forever to cook.
ie...... cakes, cookies, pies, bread, stews, chilis, braised meats.......
often times the hubster is out the door at 5 AM and after getting him off, I come into the kitchen and get out the cookbooks, start reading, get inspired, and start right then literally. I know it's odd but it calming and theraputic for me somehow.

...Trials travel best when you're taking the transportation known as prayer...SLRC
LEFSElover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 11:39 PM   #13
Head Chef
I am a retired Chef/restaurant owner and being used to cooking 8-10 hours a day I still bake all of my bread and do a lot of involved prep and cookin
I love it would not have it any other way, most from scratch
Cook with passion or don't cook at all
Dave Hutchins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 11:59 PM   #14
Head Chef
Send a message via AIM to college_cook
A great timesaver is too cook ahead on your days off, or just to get good at utilizing leftovers. If you're like the average american eater, you're probably familiar with the ever-popular starch-veg-protein meal format. An easy thing to do is get your starches cooked ahead of time- mashed potatos can be kept wrapped in plastic wrap in individual sized portion, as can rice or pasta. All of these will keep for days. The potatos and pasta will keep a little longer than rice, I think.

After that, all you need to do is prepare your protein and your veg- and heat your starch accordingly.
college_cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 02:49 AM   #15
Assistant Cook
Working five and a half days (min 50 hrs) a week, I cook Sat afternoon and Sun morning, mostly from scratch. I batch freeze and warm at the office. I spend between 6 and 8 hrs in the kitchen every weekend.

We have a kitchen at the office, but the cook had a stroke and I just installed my first ever microwave on Monday. I eat whenever I feel like it and dinner is usually around 4 pm.
kulikuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 08:56 AM   #16
Master Chef
For me it varies seasonally. My kitchen is not air conditioned, so I tend to cook quick meals in the summer. In the winter I make a lot of stews, soups, chili, etc. I'm not a baker. It is just something I don't have the talent for, and any inclinations in that direction went south when my husband was diagnosed with diabetes (hardly seems worth the effort). We are retired, so in the winter I use that time, and it heats up my kitchen and bathroom. In the summer ... well, I guess you could say we live seasonally.

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote