"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 11-09-2004, 12:07 AM   #31
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by norgeskog
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraCook
I go major shopping at Costco, Trader Joe's, etc. once a month or so in Reno. I will stop at the local grocery store 1-3 times per week. Sometimes, I wish that I lived in a bigger town to have more variety. The local grocery store just pretty much sticks to the basics. No smoked Gouda there. I buy it at Costco. Trader Joe's has to be my favorite store.
You are so right SC, TJ's rocks, my favorite as well. Ever buy theyr 2 buck charlie wine????? good stuff as well as teh wine from Chili.

I love to drink wine, but I don't drink much of it anymore, because I am allergic to it. So, I have not tried 2 buck chuck.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 09:25 AM   #32
Chief Eating Officer

I am not a big wine drinker and really don't know the differences between them. If you put a glass of merlot and a glass of pinot noir in front of me I would never be able to tell you which is which. For that matter you could probably put two glasses of merlot in front of me and i would not know they are the same. That being said, I know what I like and what I do not like when I taste it regardless of what type it is and I have enjoyed all the 2 buck Chuck wines I have had from Trader Joes. My parents who do know their wines agree that they are great for what they are.

Old 11-09-2004, 11:56 AM   #33
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
I am not a big wine drinker and really don't know the differences between them. If you put a glass of merlot and a glass of pinot noir in front of me I would never be able to tell you which is which. For that matter you could probably put two glasses of merlot in front of me and i would not know they are the same. That being said, I know what I like and what I do not like when I taste it regardless of what type it is and I have enjoyed all the 2 buck Chuck wines I have had from Trader Joes. My parents who do know their wines agree that they are great for what they are.
Thanks GB.
Like yourself, I'm not wine savvy. Use to have a glass or two, but made me start sneezing (maybe the pesticides? don't know). Appreciate your feedback, as it would be nice to have a good wine around to cook with or to serve that is tasty too!
Old 11-09-2004, 12:04 PM   #34
Executive Chef

We go to the grocery store once a week, normally on Sat (unless out of town). Shop at Sam's for bulk items, meats for contests, large dinners.
Then when going to a contest we go to the store and Sam's on Thursday for ice, chicken, garnish. We usually have to go to several different stores for contest items.
Old 11-09-2004, 03:55 PM   #35
Certified Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domestic Godess
I shop anywhere from 2-3 times a week at either the LaMontainita Co-operative or Wild Oats Natural foods. These places I find, are very expensive to shop at but the food just tastes better from these stores. I do a lot of organic baking and can substitute pretty much anything found in a supermarket.
DG I like Wild Oats as well, love to shop there and have coffee and one of their pastries. Yes they are expensive but I buy organic products when I can get them, never canned or boxed food, like to prepare myself from scratch.
Old 11-10-2004, 01:11 PM   #36
Assistant Cook

norgeskog

I try to do as much from scratch as I can too, packaging is a big waste and does up the price. I have purchased canned tomoes on occasion. If I'm in a hurry they're good in a pinch. I also buy salsa in jars sometimes. I do all my own baking and most meals from scratch though, I have tried the packaged brownies and cake mixes out of curiosity (from the co-op) and they are always too sweet. Scratch is definitely better. Another thing I have to consider is the elevation, we're at 5,000 feet. The air is lighter up here so that means less baking powder/soda and less sugar, but more liquid. I'm adapting well and for the most part my desserts turn out good. I made myself a Black Forest Cake for my birthday last month and indulged myself by adding some cherry liquour to the layers....OMG, the flavor was amazing. I don't use alchol as a rule, but when you add it to your baking sometimes it really can make a difference. We grow our own veggies through out the summer so we are trying to be good sustainable folks. We can grow salad greens well into the winter here which is a blessing.

DG

FOOD LIKE BREATHING IS A FIRST BORN
EXPERIENCE.
DG

Selket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 05:38 PM   #37
Certified Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domestic Godess
norgeskog

I try to do as much from scratch as I can too, packaging is a big waste and does up the price. I have purchased canned tomoes on occasion. If I'm in a hurry they're good in a pinch. I also buy salsa in jars sometimes. I do all my own baking and most meals from scratch though, I have tried the packaged brownies and cake mixes out of curiosity (from the co-op) and they are always too sweet. Scratch is definitely better. Another thing I have to consider is the elevation, we're at 5,000 feet. The air is lighter up here so that means less baking powder/soda and less sugar, but more liquid. I'm adapting well and for the most part my desserts turn out good. I made myself a Black Forest Cake for my birthday last month and indulged myself by adding some cherry liquour to the layers....OMG, the flavor was amazing. I don't use alchol as a rule, but when you add it to your baking sometimes it really can make a difference. We grow our own veggies through out the summer so we are trying to be good sustainable folks. We can grow salad greens well into the winter here which is a blessing.

DG
Sounds great, Domestic Goddess. I find that liquor does add a depth of flavor to whatever you are cooking. Following Julia Child, I always cook with white vermouth which I would not drink, do not like the flavor but it certainly does a fantastic job with I am making a sauce for steak of pork shops.