"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 11-04-2004, 10:00 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

how often do you go food shopping, and where?

i just got my orders for this afternoon's soirtee from my c.o. (dw), and i have to go food shoping for more things. costco for paper towels, and whatever else i find. wine and meats are good there. then to petsmart for bird food. then back to pathmark for formula and a few other things, or the a&p if they don't have everything.

it got me to thinking after yesterday's topic. how often do you go food shopping, and how many places or resources do you use to satisfy the gourmand in you...

i have the choice, within 5 minutes drive from home, of 2 a&p's, 2 pathmark's, several italian and asian deli's or food markets, and 2 costco's. i go food shopping usually 2 times a week, but will also go to small markets and deli's another 1 or 2 times for special stuff.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 10:05 AM   #2
Head Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to tancowgirl2000
Im a Superstore person. been shopping there since ethey opened here and I cant seem to buy as much at other places for the same cost. I know the prices where I can make my list and come within a couple dollars of it. I also visit Walmart since they got their food section, and the odd time the village store.....

I shop for most groceries every two weeks and anything that was forgotten in between then....

Old 11-04-2004, 10:13 AM   #3
Senior Cook

I go to the commissary - every 7-10 days or so for meat, canned stuff, dairy, pet food, paper stuff - etc, then to our big grocery - HEB - a couple times a week for fresh veggies, fish, seafood and 'special' items or brands they don't carry at the commissary. Anything else besides wallyworld is more than 20 minute drive so not really worth it to me and a few years ago I made a vow not to buy groceries where you get your oil changed. I do need to check out whole foods [~45 minute round trip] to see if they have anything worth the trip...
Old 11-04-2004, 10:17 AM   #4
Master Chef

I go every 2 weeks for my main shopping. I may have to stop in every now and then in between if I decide to make something else though. I tend to go shop in my hometown. We have a store called County Market that has a really nice meat and produce section. Sometimes I go to a smaller store called Price Less because they too have nice meat. As far as boxed, canned, household cleaners, etc... I generally just get those at Wal-Mart as they are usually cheaper. I do pick up a few things at the Dollar General Store though. But mainly its County Market and Wal-Mart.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:36 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
every week usually sunday's either at giant eagle or tops. wal-mart. sometime's sam's club
Old 11-04-2004, 10:51 AM   #6
Senior Cook

Whenever the supply gets low, and usually the commissary on base for general all-purpose stuff, and Fresh Market for my produce, meats and specialty, imported goods.
Old 11-04-2004, 11:10 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Every week ( Friday ) to a place called Morrisons.
Old 11-04-2004, 11:43 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

Usually on whatever day I'm off work. Saturday, Sunday or Monday. And I shop at Hyvee.
Old 11-04-2004, 12:39 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Safeway about once a week to stock up. Lightning trips to same in between if I decide I want to make something else instead. Costco for paper goods, garlic bread, TP, large amounts of meat/fish, and to eat the samples.

No gourmet stores within a reasonable driving distance, so I tend to use ordinary ingredients for most things.
Old 11-04-2004, 12:59 PM   #10
Chief Eating Officer

I stop at the supermarket just about every night on the way home from work. About once a month or so we will hit BJ's when we need things like cat food, paper towels, or other bulk items.