"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 01-25-2005, 11:20 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Hi Ishbel,

I was taught to make it with cheddar cheese sauce in home economics classes at school (many years ago).....I'm thinking that ricotta/mozzarella may have been just too 'ethnic' or 'expensive' for my school, so they substituted what was widely known and available....this would have been around 30 years ago, we didn't have as wide a choice in local supermarkets then, (just one tiny, tiny grocery store in the town I came from). I know that all my family and friends from where I lived made it the same way, but nowadays - looking through some more modern British cook books, it's made with ricotta and/or mozzarella or parmesan, whereas in my ancient cookbooks, it's made with the cheddar cheese sauce. I have to admit though, that I prefer it with Cheddar ( ), it's a lot more hefty on the flavour that way, even if it's not quite authentic LOL! (now hiding under my desk ready for the barrage of protests )

Paint.

Old 01-25-2005, 11:38 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Paint
Have a look at this Edinburgh site - I went to school with the daughters of one of the families involved. It's a foody's paradise and tea invitations were eagerly sought.. and that was over 30 years ago! The Scots are famous not only for deep fried Mars Bars but for good fresh produce and lots and lots of Italian chip shops, ice cream shops and coffee bars!
http://www.valvonacrolla.co.uk/

I've seen J K Rowling in there.... (Harry Potter writer!)

Old 01-25-2005, 11:52 AM   #13
Senior Cook

MMMMMmmmmmmm, that menu does look good! But then you are talking about the cultural capital of Scotland. All we had in our tiny market town was a back-street, grubby, dingy pizza parlour called 'Franks Pizzeria' full of dusty chianti bottles and plastic vines, where Frank cooked his pizza's dressed in his string vest (when he wasn't yelling in Italian at his sons in the back room), and if you wanted the candle lit at your table, he would throw a box of matches at you! His pizzas were very good though :)

Paint.

OMG, He is still in business, I just checked!!! I don't believe it, I mean I used to go there as a kid when I was still in high school. Oh, that's got to be worth a visit if I ever go back home!!!
Old 01-25-2005, 12:05 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Another confusing item here in the US is with Chicken and Dumplings versus Chicken Pot Pie as far as Pennsylvania is concerned. I described my chicken and dumplings and I was told it was actually pot pie - wherein I did some research and it seems that the Dutch dish is actually called Bot Bai - and therein lies the confusion. The Dutch Bot Bai through the years has taken on the the similarly sounding name pot pie - but it is actually the same as Chicken and Dumplings.

A long time ago a friend invited over for supper because her mother had sent her some of her wonderful "gravy" - she's Italian - I had no idea "gravy" was spaghetti sauce! LOL

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 01:08 PM   #15
Master Chef

Elf, you're right--PA Dutch is a language unto itself! I remember when my family moved from NY to PA, I was very confused the first time I was served pot pie. Boy is it good, though!

My DH went to college in the middle of PA Dutch country and even though he has none in his family background, after 4 years, he picked up some "Dutchie" accent. To this day, every once in awhile it comes out!
Old 01-25-2005, 01:27 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
PA - I'm sure you have your own wonderful recipe but here is mine for the Dutch Pot Pie/Bot Bai or for the rest of us - Chicken and Dumplings 8)

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 01:36 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Baker
Elf, you're right--PA Dutch is a language unto itself! I remember when my family moved from NY to PA, I was very confused the first time I was served pot pie. Boy is it good, though!

My DH went to college in the middle of PA Dutch country and even though he has none in his family background, after 4 years, he picked up some "Dutchie" accent. To this day, every once in awhile it comes out!
Did he used to say 'Let's red up the house'? My mother used to use that expression.

Pam
Old 01-25-2005, 01:37 PM   #18
Master Chef

No, but my grandparents did! My grandpa's father was PA Dutch. Hubby's is more just the drawn out vowels, sometimes, more than the colloquialisms.
Old 01-25-2005, 05:10 PM   #19
Executive Chef

We use 'red up' in the sense of straightening, tidying or cleaning 'red up your bed' was my Mum's cry when I was a girl... Red up the table was to tidy it before a meal!

But we have no Dutch or German bloodlines, just Scots We were told it was a corruption of the phrase 'make ready'...
Old 01-25-2005, 05:34 PM   #20
Executive Chef

California Steak.....Portabelo Mushroom