How recipes are interpreted in different countries....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From all around the world, largely found here as well, there are probably 4 million recipes for each of these: beef stew, meatloaf, fried chicken, chili, scrambled eggs, omelettes, chicken and dumplings, hamburgers.

EDIT: must add macaroni and cheese, spaghetti and pizza. The last time I was in Italy there was no red sauce of stuff on top.

norgeskog said:
From all around the world, largely found here as well, there are probably 4 million recipes for each of these: beef stew, meatloaf, fried chicken, chili, scrambled eggs, omelettes, chicken and dumplings, hamburgers.

EDIT: must add macaroni and cheese, spaghetti and pizza. The last time I was in Italy there was no red sauce of stuff on top.

I think, for each of the "soul food" and "home made" dishes you just mentioned, there are as many variations out there as there are grandma's, mom's, and dad's, that cook for kids.

I can remember, just as my father had passed away, one of my aunt's made some scrambled eggs for everyone for breakfast. I wouldn't touch them, because they "looked funny", as my aunt had a different stirring technique than my mother (and now, myself).

Elf, thanks for the chicken and dumpling recipe, I never knew it was called pot pie in Pennsylvania (love both of them though).

Paint, the lasagna with Cheddar sounds interesting, would like to give it a go. If you have a recipe (for many things like that, I don't) would appreciate it.

But the differences in lasagna with ricotta or Cheddar, and soupy chili or not, pale in what terms are being used today for traditional foods.

Heck who cares if someone calls tomato sauce gravy? Half the neighborhood did where I grew up.

What piques me is the use of the terms confit and the martini.

Confit, it seems, can today be used for anything from caramelized onions to a baked tomato concoction.

As for the martini, there are those of us who would grudgingly allow the drink made with vodka to be called such (gin should only be used IMHO, and only be accompanied by an olive), but now it seems that any slosh of liquors tossed in a martini glass can be named such.

These terms have been co-opted by the culinary industrial complex.

If people want to make a lasagna with Cheddar, fine.

If people want to toss pineapple and ham on fried bread and call it a pizza, I can accept that.

But when people take Midori and mix it with another liquor or two and toss in a grape and call it a martini, I lose it.

It is a compulsion I can deal with most of the time, but keep me away from trendy bars.

Thanks for letting me vent.

I love this line!!! I've lived over most of the US, and am amazed that people get so peeved over "THIS is chili" or "THIS is the only barbecue". Hey, it's all great!!!!! Just go in with an open mind. I learned to make lasagna with .... gasp, terror, horror -- mozerella and cottage cheese. Most of the places I lived you simply couldn't buy ricotta. We didn't have a heck of a lot of money, so chili, no matter where we lived, had to be made with beans as well as meat, and the meat was the cheapest you could get .... in those days usually "hamburger" (now called ground beef, and what % fat or which cut didn't come into play). As for barbecue ..... I was disappointed when I hit the south to find that it often consisted of boiled ribs with a sweet sauce poured over it. My favorite (and don't a single one of you tell me it isn't good) is kal bi, and I'll take it every time. You've got to go with the flow and enjoy the regional differences. And I'm just talking region to region within the US! Oh, and don't forget that staple of my childhood, American Chop Suey!!!!!

Claire - I forgot all about American Chop Suey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW - you stirred up a memory or two!!!!

I still make my lasagna with mozzarella and cottage cheese - but now I add some ricotta. I just love the way the cottage cheese melts.

Back
Top Bottom