"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 01-24-2005, 07:15 PM   #1
Senior Cook

How recipes are interpreted in different countries....

I'm sure you all have plenty of examples, but the few I've found to be very different....

Chilli, in England, is much thicker (like a sauce), and served over a bed of rice, while in the USA it is served as a much thinner soup with crackers.

Lasagne, in England, is made with layers of pasta, bolognaise sauce and a cheese sauce made from sharp cheddar. No ricotta in sight LOL!

'Hard Sauce' (known as Brandy/Rum Butter in Britain), is served melted over plum pudding in the USA, but in Britain it is served as a solid, cold butter which then melts with the heat of the pudding.

Custard, in Britain is usually served as a hot, runny sauce over steamed or sponge puddings, or over fruit pies. It is only served cold as part of a trifle or with Jelly (jello).

Eclairs, profiteroles and other 'cream cakes' are always filled with fresh whipped cream, whereas I've only found them filled with cold 'custard' or fake cream over here.

I'm sure there must be countless ways in which foods are interpreted differently by different countries.....some of them far removed from any authentic version, but still good :)

Paint.

Old 01-24-2005, 08:48 PM   #2
Master Chef

Two Nations seperated by a common language, Paint!

I got a "Celtic Cookbook" (Traditional Recipes from Brittany, Cornwall, Ireland, Isle of Man, Scotland and Wales) that was "translated" for the American kitchen ... it wasn't. I've read it several times and the best I can figure out is that in some places when it calls for "yeast" it would be what we in the USA would call "sourdough starter".

Chili in Philadelphia is nothing like chili in Georgia, which is nothing like that in Texas, which isn't the same as some of the stuff they make in New Mexico! Heaven only knows what they call chili in California! (SPAM and pineapple with bean sprouts and tofu????

BBQ sauce is another thing that really changes from region to region.

America might be a "melting pot" of cultures - but we are as regional in our cooking as France, Italy, or the UK.

Old 01-24-2005, 08:59 PM   #3
Senior Cook

And so it should be.....because if we all used the same recipes and cooked exactly the same food, how boring it would be
Paint
Old 01-24-2005, 09:28 PM   #4
Head Chef

Paint, I love your posts and adore your take on British and American food.

But y'all have to understand one thing about us colonials, we take our chili very seriously.

And there are many different approaches to the dish.

Yes there are people who make their chili soupy, and I will admit I would find some of the stuff edible if I were on a desert island with little else than grubs to eat.

OK, OK, I have eaten a few watery bowls of red that did not make me sick, but I am in a generous mood today.

Most chili made in this country is fairly thick, and will often contain both beans and tomatoes, something a Texas chili should never ever do.

But I am not from Texas and always toss both those items in.

And then there are those folk in Cincinnati that will claim that any chili needs cinnamon, cloves and allspice.

I am sure they are fine people and if they want to eat such it is their right.

There is nothing in the Constitution about chili, but as far as Cincinnati chili goes, there should be.

The bottom line is there are many approaches to chili in this country.

Most are not soupy and are similar to the stuff people in Britain put over their jacket potatoes.

But there are people who, gag, spit, like the watery stuff.

Why? I have no idea.

But, Paint, chili is one of the complexities of the American experience.

Welcome aboard.

LOL
Old 01-24-2005, 09:39 PM   #5
Senior Cook

LOL! nearly every Chilli recipe I come across is so different - different beans, no beans, ground beef or stewing beef...... The chilli's I have had here in Colorado have all been served either as a soup, or as a sauce over burrito's etc. Some of them have had beans in, some not. Most of them have been yummy though :)

I just came across a curious thing....apparently (some time ago, don't know when) someone discovered a very old recipe book (14th century) which supposedly had a recipe for lasagne in it....so leading British newpapers to claim that Lasagne was a British invention! I don't think so!!! that idea was very soon quoshed by various historians.

I also came across some French and Dutch recipes for Lasagne, and it seems that many countries adapt the recipe with cheeses that are local. The French recipe used swiss cheese, for example - similar to the British using Cheddar. I think the American version must be the most authentic - at least it uses Italian cheeses

Paint.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:10 PM   #6
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to masteraznchefjr
direct translation in chiense
tomatoe sauce - ketchup
masteraznchefjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 10:27 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Lugaru
In my home town every mom made "spagetti" which was noodles in a nasty, slightly orange and very tangy paste. To this day I have no idea what I was eating.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:33 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
Heaven only knows what they call chili in California! (SPAM and pineapple with bean sprouts and tofu????
Michael, that is just disgusting. lol!! At least where I come from in California, chili is chili. Some with beans, alot without beans.

It is amazing how the same item may have a different name. For example, the other day I said I had waffle fries, which are crisscut fries to some. What is salsa to some is pico de gallo to others. That is what make cooking so interesting and fun!!

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 03:28 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Hello Paint
I've made lasagne more times than I care to count (I'm Scots) but I've NEVER used cheddar and, as far as I know, neither do friends - only ricotta and mozarella cheeses - So you see, even with the UK, there seem to be regional differences in 'foreign' dishes
Old 01-25-2005, 06:44 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

loved your post, auntdot!