How would you describe the individual textures and tastes of all four seasons?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ardor

Assistant Cook
For example,
Summer: Spicy
Winter: Bitter or melt in mouth feeling
Autumn: Flaky, more toughness to the bite but spread through
Spring: Sweet and springy

Spring - crispy, young, new
Summer - fresh, vibrant
fall - spices
winter - hearty, starchy

Spring, subtle and tender flavours and textures, asparagus in its fleeting season of perfection and full of longing for the first fresh flavours of the year

Summer the crisp of fresh salad leaves and the pure intence taste of "real" vegetables which over rides any cooked delights. And icecream.

Autumn to be means gloopy stews and soups and game and my favourite pumpkins and squashes, any way and any how, and melted cheese and the onset of richer less fragile flavours

Winter means more traditonal roast and texture melanges of roast and root vegs with winter leaves and heavy comforting puddings. And mulled wines and hot chocolates and is probably the sweetest season...what with all the special event baking that goes on.

You can't beat seasonal eating! I love it.

Spring - Rebirth. Tender lamb dishes. The beginnings of a lighter menu.

Summer - Vibrant. Jewel tones. Bright red tomatoes, emerald green peppers. Smoky-smelling and tasting outdoor grilling. Iced drinks.

Fall - Slowing down. Gearing meals more toward the comfort zone that's sure to be ahead. Foods the colors of fall. Golden roast chicken, butternut squash, pumpkin pie.

Winter - Settling in. Hot, wonderful foods that make me feel like I'm being hugged. Steaming bowls of soup or stew. The smell of fresh bread baking.

GB said:
Spring - crispy, young, new
Summer - fresh, vibrant
fall - spices
winter - hearty, starchy

This is pretty much my thoughts too. Maybe add the following:

Summer - juicy, lucious (thinking fruits here!)
Fall - earthy, stew/chowder
Winter - Soul food

Spring - Medium to Light fare focusing on the produce that is normally starting to be available(i.e. Olive Oil Poached Sea bass with Braised Fennel, Risotto with Ramps, English Spring Peas, and Sorrel)

Summer - Light fare with fruitier, citrus-type flavors and lots of seafood (i.e. Grilled Miso-Glazed Wild King Salmon with an Orange-Ginger Vinaigrette)

Fall - Start of medium to heartier fare with much richer sauces (i.e. Pan Roasted Loin of Venison with Butternut Squash and Porcini Ravioli and a Red Wine accented Natural Pan Jus Lie)

Winter - Heartier fare with lots of braised type dishes (i.e. Slow Braised Kobe Short Ribs with Celeriac, Broccoli Rabe, and Braised Jus Reduction)

Spring- new, rough the "inbetween season" -- not yet summer but out of season for winter stuff

Summer- less fat fresh light soft crisp colourful

Fall warm starchy seasoned spices last of the seasons colourful

Winter-- hot and Hearty home cooked full fat dishes Stews etc

I was thinking more along the lines of, if the seasons were food, how would they taste like?

Back
Top Bottom