Hump day dinner, 12-16-2016?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
Cajoulet, AKA Cajun cassoulet. Started it last night and today it just has to bake. Used turkey thighs I had confit'd in duck fat a couple of weeks ago and froze, and Andouille sausage. Since we already had some pancetta lardons in freezer used those too.

Tried a method of cooking dried beans that I had seen recently. Instead of soaking in plain water, used 1 tablespoon of salt per quart of water (3 and 3) for the beans, in other words brining them. It really worked. They were tender after 40 minutes of cooking on stove top. Usually it takes much longer than that and/or use of the pressure cooker.

Smoked eggplant with homemade chermoule and seasined greej yougurt, a small kale sakad with the last tomato from the garden. The eggplant has a bit more smoke than I wanted, this is the 2nd run at this. Last time not enough smoke. I add a bit more fresh lemon and backed off on the preserved lemon.

Defrosted some spelunked lentil soup of last year's vintage. It's surprisingly good. Of course I can't remember how I made it.

From the Mon. night Beer Butt chicken, today I made a killer fine diced white meat chicken salad for several lunches. I used fine diced toasted pecans/green onions/celery with leaves/bread&butter pickles/parsley/lemon pepper and mayo.

The stock pot is on the stove with the bones and all of the chicken/beer pan drippings and lots of needed to be used veggies. I'll simmer it the rest of the day, strain it, and use the stock and remaining chicken for chicken soup tonight. My man will have carbs added to his soup..I'll have to ask him what he'd like.
It's always amazing to me how much bang for the buck is found in a whole roast chicken when you know how to cook. :chef:

Last edited:
We are still grazing on the leftovers from a turkey dinner of several days ago; turkey, mashed potatoes, green beans, corn, giblet gravy, cranberry sauce.

DH and I were out and about yesterday and stopped in an Eastern European market we have meant to visit for years. Will definitely need to go again! :)

We picked up some frozen pierogie stuffed with potato and sauerkraut and a Polish beer for DH. So tonight I made caramelized onions and beef broth with Better than Bouillon beef base. Boiled the pierogies for a few minutes, then browned them in butter and added the onions and broth. Served them with German cucumber salad, broiled kielbasa and some of the mustard I made today. Yummy meal! :yum:

Attachments

• 1450315384574.jpg
    1450315384574.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 147
I made pan fried Juicy Lucie's with bacon to top. I hope fried onions count as a vegetable serving.
I was craving one a few weeks' ago. Made one for myself and my two co-workers. They'd never had one before...they loved them. I just did basic Juicy lucys with cheese, carnelized onions, and mushroons as the filling. Mine was on a grilled portebello "bun" with the burger topped with more onion, cheese, a bit of bacon, and more mushrooms. I was stuffed. Love a good Juicy Lucy/Lucie.

Last edited:
From the Mon. night Beer Butt chicken, today I made a killer fine diced white meat chicken salad for several lunches. I used fine diced toasted pecans/green onions/celery with leaves/bread&butter pickles/parsley/lemon pepper and mayo.

The stock pot is on the stove with the bones and all of the chicken/beer pan drippings and lots of needed to be used veggies. I'll simmer it the rest of the day, strain it, and use the stock and remaining chicken for chicken soup tonight. My man will have carbs added to his soup..I'll have to ask him what he'd like.
It's always amazing to me how much bang for the buck is found in a whole roast $5.00 chicken when you know how to cook. :chef:

That sounds fantastic, CWS.
The simple chicken soup was completed with frozen mixed veggies along with frozen spinach (wish I had Kale), lots of cooked mushrooms, and a splash of heavy cream. It's amazing what some heavy cream can do. His was served on a bed of rice.

Last edited:
Cleaning out the fridge. Came home to Himself making a tossed salad for us! :ohmy: It's a Christmas Miracle! (I love the guy, but he avoids the kitchen like the plague.) We split the one leftover patty melt, I finished up the two pieces of Irish Potato Pizza we brought home from Tuesday night's quick stop, and Himself finished up the small piece of cod and the last couple bay scallops. On to more leftovers tomorrow!

Back
Top Bottom