Hump day menu, 01/04/17

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
I'm going to get up a little earlier today and finally get around to using up the leftover Christmas ham bone and scraps.

I was going to make CG's ham and bean recipe, but DW and my boy requested my green split pea soup.

I remember our Canadian/way upstate NY folks talking about yellow split pea soup. Is there much of a difference. I picked up a can of it once when fishing on Lake Champlain, but it was just "meh".

So, what's on your table today?

bits of beef from freezer for steak and red bell pepper tortilla for man with roasted tater, star wars cereal for me. have some beans cooking for later.

We are having Battlefield for dinner, it yellows split peas, swede/ rutabaga, carrots, potatoes cooked in pork broth and then mashed up with salted ham hock. Yum.

Today's dinner is practically self made and just needs heating. Beef stew with l/o beef pot roast and veggies. That is, if I can straighten out the gravy dilemma. Today I am thinking the thyme overload is due to it not being nearly as fresh as it appeared. My package is more than a month old, and it may have been just laying around in the frig plotting its flavor concentration ready to spring on me. There is that one standard- 1 Tbsp fresh = 1 tsp dry and it may very well be drier than it appears. Otherwise, I have run out of theories why the thyme permeates the whole roast dish. Will know later if adding some more wine, and even more water dilutes the flavor a little. Not a bad flavor, just so much of it.:ohmy:
--

BT, I too want to make CG's bean and ham soup. When I was at the store late Monday, they had no ham hocks, smoked turkey legs, ham shanks or nada. I started out thinking I would make bean and ham, and by the time I got to the store my thinking had changed to green split peas. Guess I averted a major menu dilemma, at least for the time being.:angel:

I think we'll be having pasta with clams today.

The plan is for Craig to get home early, since he had such a long day yesterday, and make the massaman curry paste for tomorrow night's dinner.

Planning stuffed peppers. I think I will add some homemade salsa and a chopped tomato (left from New Years) to the stuffing. I have tomato sauce thawing to pour over the top. Served with a mixed greens salad.

Hump day menu, 01/04/16 - Doc BT Did you jump in your DeLorean?

I went to Whole Paycheck to grab lunch today and they had fresh sea bass on sale, so I picked one up. It's actually sitting in my car right now. Today's temperature is a balmy 1° F, so I think it will be alright. If it's not frozen when I get home, that's what I'll be having.

Today's dinner is practically self made and just needs heating. Beef stew with l/o beef pot roast and veggies. That is, if I can straighten out the gravy dilemma. Today I am thinking the thyme overload is due to it not being nearly as fresh as it appeared. My package is more than a month old, and it may have been just laying around in the frig plotting its flavor concentration ready to spring on me. There is that one standard- 1 Tbsp fresh = 1 tsp dry and it may very well be drier than it appears. Otherwise, I have run out of theories why the thyme permeates the whole roast dish. Will know later if adding some more wine, and even more water dilutes the flavor a little. Not a bad flavor, just so much of it.:ohmy:

You could try off-setting the flavor by adding some rosemary (not a lot) and maybe Worcestershire sauce.

TB is getting grilled sirloin with baked potato and salad.
I am getting salad with a little bit of steak thrown in!

I

I picked up a can of it once when fishing on Lake Champlain, but it was just "meh".

So, what's on your table today?

Don't judge pea soup by the canned stuff....if you make your own you can introduce the flavors you want, such as seasonings, texture(thickness), size of meat chunks, and other ingredients..etc...it is a great, hearty soup if done right...

More leftover meat-fest. I really have to find something green. (Not the meat though, I think we may finally finish it).

Rock (or anyone), do you have a TnT recipe you use for split pea soup? My memories of my Mom making it are old and not favorable. I would like to try it as a change of pace, though. Also, what difference in taste is there between green peas and yellow? Mom always used green for her's.

...I was going to make CG's ham and bean recipe, but DW and my boy requested my green split pea soup...

...BT, I too want to make CG's bean and ham soup...
OK you guys, I want to see posts in a dinner thread saying that uou made my Mom's H&B soup* before the winter is over. :LOL: Whiska, if you like ham, just get one this winter and use the bone for the soup. Don't forget to save some meat, too.

* her recipe, my modifications

Goober and a friend of his are heading to Loverly's place for dinner tonight. Loverly, however, has another commitment and won't join us. Dinner is a beef roast, along with a nice selections of veggies: roasted beets, roasted butternut squash mashed, steamed green beans, and mashed potatoes. Sauteed mushrooms will the on the side. Normally I add them right to the gravy. Not sure if Goober's friend likes the little fungi, though.

Rock (or anyone), do you have a TnT recipe you use for split pea soup? My memories of my Mom making it are old and not favorable. I would like to try it as a change of pace, though. Also, what difference in taste is there between green peas and yellow? Mom always used green for her's.

We use Alton Brown's recipe from "I'm Just Here For the Food": 1/2 cup each chopped celery, onion and carrot, 1 18-oz. bag dried green peas, a piece of salt pork or other seasoning pork, 2 quarts chicken stock, and 1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce. Throw it all in the slow cooker and cook for 6-8 hours on low.

I'm not actually a big fan of this, but DH loves it. I've only used green peas, so no idea whether the flavor is different from yellow.

Last edited:
Rock (or anyone), do you have a TnT recipe you use for split pea soup?

I use yellow, split peas right from the bag...You can soak whole, dried yellow peas for a day if you want. Everything else in the recipe is the same.
Chopped onions, carrots, celery. As much ham as you can muster from the bone. Add all of this, plus the peas, to the pot and simmer. There will be a bit of a foamy scum once the water gets boiling. I like to skim this off because it can impart a bit of a harsh flavor. After about half an hour, add some thyme, salt and pepper to taste. I like to let mine simmer until it is very thick, usually another half an hour. So thick, that crackers don't sink into it when crumbled on top. Don't be afraid to use a whisk to get it really mixed well. It also helps break up the peas and create a smoother texture..typically, our hams were studded with cloves so the soup always had a faint hint of clove in it. If you want you can put a pinch of ground clove in it...I like a lot of fresh parsley in it, also.

This is about as authentic and basic as the French Canadian Pea soup recipe gets...you can add or omit whatever you want... peas can pretty much handle any type of flavoring... if you like it thinner, then don't let it simmer for a long time. The yellow split peas will dissolve much faster, leaving you with a smoother, thicker soup. The whole peas will not so you can get a thinner broth with actual peas floating around in it. Your choice...either way, it separates so give it a good stir before serving...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom