I am going to a truck farm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bjcotton

Senior Cook
Wednesday I'm going to my sis' house and she lives right in the middle of a truck farm......YUMMY! Every time I go up there I make something special [read...a bribe] for the owners of the farm. That way, I have free run of everything on the farm...special lettuces, salad fixin's, fresh beets, cilantro, herbs, fresh dill, Kaffir limes, flower blossoms for the salads, a variety of squash, carrots, radishes, basil...see why I bribe the owners? I can go into the fields or their cool rooms and get anything I want while I'm there. See, I told you you would hate me :ROFLMAO: . Believe me, I take fullest advantage while I'm there...course, I try to make sure they fully enjoy their meals while I'm there too. I can hardly wait, all those varieties of tomatoes...now I hate myself for bringing it to mind..two days of torture :(

...and I thought it was because you are beautiful!:angel:

Sounds like heaven, BJ.

Nothing wrong with making something nice for the farm owners, in exchange for fresh veggies. What the heck is a truck farm though?:ermm:

Here ya go Amber

Directory > Words > Dictionary > truck farm
truck farm
n. A farm producing vegetables for the market.
[From TRUCK2.]
truckfarmer truck farmer n.
truckfarming truck farm'ing n.

I learnt something too!! lolol:) :rolleyes:

Welcome back Billy!:)

They have one field Amber, that would be about the size of 2 football fields that contains nothing but cilantro. They have 3 greenhouses that are about 50 feet wide and about 200 yards long in which they grow baby salad greens, edible flowers, 2 Kaffir limes and various herbs year round. They truck this fresh produce to market early every morning. These are in addition to fields of beets, carrots, scallions, dill, squash and a few other miscellaneous items for their own and friends tables. Very, very nice and generous people.

Thanks for the welcome Lynan. It was a very long and exhausting week. I'm glad it's over.

Wait, Bill! don't do anything till I get there! I'm on the next plane! :cool: (I wish! :ermm: )

sounds totally yummy! have a great time! :D

Length

How many times you get to go there? Visiting your sister is something to look forward to. Hope the day isn't rainy or hot. Do you have a truck yourself? I would probably want to take a couple of trucks to bring all these things back. The smell is what I enjoy. Good dry dirt. What a job you will have cleaning them. Though you know you are doing the best thing for yourself and your family and saving lots of money. This is something that is going by the wayside it seems where farmers are forced to give up and do something else. Wonderful th oughts you gave us. We all would want to go w/you. Please tell us how it was when you ret urn. Oh, and think of us while you are there and breathe deep!

By the time I finished your post I had more or less figured out that a truck farm was sort of a U Pick kind of deal. LOL, I won't bother telling you my first thought! Heeheehee! Welcome back, we missed you. And hey, I am totally envious of your good fortune!

Thinking of You

Have been thinking of you and wondering how your day went on the truck farm? Are you still working trying to get it stored for winter? Just curious if you could let me know. Anytime you get to visit someone who has garden it does your heart good. Thanks for your time.

I have never been to a Truck Farm - it must be fun to pick all the fresh vegetables and whatever they are growing.

Have a nice day.

Jill and Jolie

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom