"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 02-23-2005, 06:52 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

You might like to try a recipe at www.epicurious.com called Southwestern Lime Chicken with Ancho Chili Sauce...it's really tremendous, using a mixture of soy sauce, fresh lime juice and herbs for marinade and then the chili sauce for dipping.

valjaytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 08:29 PM   #12
Executive Chef
Slab of meaty spare ribs
Lawry's seasoned salt
Yellow mustard

Season ribs with seasoned salt
Rub yellow mustard into ribs
Cook in smoker for 5 hours at 220

You may mop with your favorite BBQ sauce last hour of cooking.

This can be done in the oven too.

Note: If using baby back ribs cut cooking time to 3 hours.

You are not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
Bangbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 11:46 PM   #13
Master Chef
Nothing kept me from grilling at any time of the year, or time of day, until my apartments forbid us to have grills.

I'll admit - I was used to smoking a turkey for Thanksgiving in my cheap-o water smoker ... but the first year I was in Colorado it was a little difficult with 12-F air temp and 14-inches of snow on the ground ... after 18 hours smoking I had to bring it inside and finish cooking it in the oven!
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 02:43 PM   #14
Executive Chef
I need to buy a grill. This is the first time in about 7 years that I can grill at my own place. My last three apartments either didn't allow it, or I was upstairs. When I was living at my MIL's, she had a grill, and we just used that.

I was over at Lowe's the other day, and saw a "barrel" type grill for a little over $100. Cast Iron grates, and an optional accessory side-mounted firebox. I may just have to get this one. It'll be the biggest grill I've ever used for home use, but, I'll be able to cook a lot of food at one time, which is a good thing, as I have a lot of kids. I could also roast ears of corn at the same time as cooking something else.
Peace, Love, and Vegetable Rights!
Eat Meat and Save the Plants!
AllenOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 02:49 PM   #15
Executive Chef
Allen you taking about an offest cooker/smoker?
Raine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 02:50 PM   #16
Executive Chef
That's a good choice, Allen! I have something similar and it works great! I don't have the firebox, wish I did, that would be great for smoking!
DampCharcoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 12:40 PM   #17
Master Chef
The weekend before last it hit a whopping 40 degrees. We fired up the smokey joe, invited a barbecue-loving neighbor over, and put some wings on the grill. We couldn't follow up by eating outside, of course, but it was a much needed dose of sunshine for all of us. Today (35 degrees)(why do computers not have a degree sign?) I'm putting some pork steaks on the grill. But I agree, I'm really looking forward to really enjoying the experience; we're definitely pushing the season. We have a great neighborhood, and in the warmer months we often have spontaneous backyard barbecues. It is funny, to me, that when I lived in Florida not too many people actually "played" outside (in Hawaii we literally lived outside, so this was a huge disappointment). I've learned that in 4-seasons land, people enjoy the good weather -- yes, even when it is hot, humid, and buggy -- and celebrate being outside. My kind of place.

PS I'm using the word barbecue as it is used here and was in my youth. Not smoked, cooked on a grill that is called a barbecue pit, over charcoal.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 02:00 PM   #18
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by Rainee
Allen you taking about an offest cooker/smoker?
Yes! Down in OK, there was a model marketed (and maybe made by) Oklahoma Joe. I've seen knockoff's up here, but nothing with that name on it.

As much as I'd love to start smoking foods, I don't know if I'll actually have the time. That's why I'm interested in this one, as you don't have to get the offset firebox. Just grill over the coals.

It's kind of odd thinking about this kind of stuff right now. It's 26 degrees out, and there's snow on the ground and on the roofs.
Peace, Love, and Vegetable Rights!
Eat Meat and Save the Plants!
AllenOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 03:19 PM   #19
Executive Chef
All I have is a hibachi, but it works just fine for us. I really love burgers on the grill, bbq chicken, grilled vegetable (I use italian dressing on the veggies), salmon, steaks. Probably have the burger the first time I start up the grill this year. Cant wait for the snow to be gone! Though I have cooked outside in the winter, but it's not quite the same.

amber is offline   Reply With Quote