I am so ready to start grilling outside

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SizzlininIN

Master Chef
I don't know about you guys but I'm ready to fire up my grill. Wish old man winter would move on out of my town. I'm ready for those 70 something degree kind of days where the suns out and you can just kick back and relax and let the smell of the grill fill the air.

First thing I'm going to make is Barefoot Contessa's Tequilla Lime Chicken........love this stuff (TNT). I tried to find this on the site but couldn't maybe someone else can find the actual recipe. I just do mine by taste so I don't really go by her measurements. But here actual recipe is very good........i just don't always have all her ingred. so i may add a little more of this or a little less of that.

Whats something you'll fix thats TNT? Recipe would be nice ;)

1/2 teaspoon lime zest
1/4 cup lime juice
2 tablespoons gold tequila
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 skinless, boneless chicken
breast halves
4 (10 inch) flour tortillas, warmed
1 tomato, cut into 8 wedges
1 avocado - pitted, peeled,
and cubed
1 lime, cut into 8 wedges

Directions
1 Preheat oven to Broil.
2 Combine the lime zest, lime juice, tequila, honey, oil,
cornstarch, garlic salt and pepper in a small saucepan over
medium
heat. Bring to a boil, stirring, to thicken the sauce.
3 Broil chicken breasts for 10 to 15 minutes, or until
cooked through (no longer pink inside).
Baste with prepared sauce for last 5 minutes of cooking.
4 To serve, arrange a folded tortilla on each of 4
plates; add a chicken breast, 2 tomato wedges and some
avocado
chunks. Drizzle chicken with remaining sauce and garnish
with
2 lime wedges.

You could do this on the grill. Is it close to what you do?

It was 70° here yesterday. That is good thing about living here. We can BBQ & grill year round.

I am just waiting until the snow melts enough so that I can see my grill, then I will be out there again!

I grill all year round because I'm so happy to have gotten my new grill. I have the Barefoot Contessa's recipe at home and will try to post it as soon as I can. I have also made this and it is really good, a favorite amoung family and guests.

Me too, Sizz! I've grilled in below-freezing weather a handful of times this year because I was going nuts and needed grilled food! :LOL: Nothing beats sitting outside and enjoying a cold beer while you tend the grill, tho! 8)

Sizz, if I had a BBQ I would be doing that now, it is 60 and looks like a perfect day here, light winds, blue skies and an awesomely gorgeous day in Eugene. There is a BBQ in the patio of the apartments where I live but it is a pain in the you-know-what to carry the meat in an elevator to the ground floor, etc........ especially when I ususally cook my entire meal on the grill. ah well, perhaps some nice sole will take pity and invite me for a BBQ...... :D

I never stop grilling. I have a path shoveled to my Webber and keep it cleared during the winter. This year has been lighter than most as far as snowfall goes. I haven't had to shovel nearly as much.

I have to barbecue/smoke a turkey on March 5th for my oldest daughter's wedding reception. I'll have to dig some good maple and apple from under the snow. It will definitely be moist enough. :D

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

My moms friend seen a ROBIN TODAY!

Im doing my Happy dance....
30.gif

Grilling

You might like to try a recipe at www.epicurious.com called Southwestern Lime Chicken with Ancho Chili Sauce...it's really tremendous, using a mixture of soy sauce, fresh lime juice and herbs for marinade and then the chili sauce for dipping.

Slab of meaty spare ribs
Lawry's seasoned salt
Yellow mustard

Season ribs with seasoned salt
Rub yellow mustard into ribs
Cook in smoker for 5 hours at 220

You may mop with your favorite BBQ sauce last hour of cooking.

This can be done in the oven too.

Note: If using baby back ribs cut cooking time to 3 hours.

Nothing kept me from grilling at any time of the year, or time of day, until my apartments forbid us to have grills.

I'll admit - I was used to smoking a turkey for Thanksgiving in my cheap-o water smoker ... but the first year I was in Colorado it was a little difficult with 12-F air temp and 14-inches of snow on the ground ... after 18 hours smoking I had to bring it inside and finish cooking it in the oven!

I need to buy a grill. This is the first time in about 7 years that I can grill at my own place. My last three apartments either didn't allow it, or I was upstairs. When I was living at my MIL's, she had a grill, and we just used that.

I was over at Lowe's the other day, and saw a "barrel" type grill for a little over $100. Cast Iron grates, and an optional accessory side-mounted firebox. I may just have to get this one. It'll be the biggest grill I've ever used for home use, but, I'll be able to cook a lot of food at one time, which is a good thing, as I have a lot of kids. I could also roast ears of corn at the same time as cooking something else.

That's a good choice, Allen! I have something similar and it works great! I don't have the firebox, wish I did, that would be great for smoking!

The weekend before last it hit a whopping 40 degrees. We fired up the smokey joe, invited a barbecue-loving neighbor over, and put some wings on the grill. We couldn't follow up by eating outside, of course, but it was a much needed dose of sunshine for all of us. Today (35 degrees)(why do computers not have a degree sign?) I'm putting some pork steaks on the grill. But I agree, I'm really looking forward to really enjoying the experience; we're definitely pushing the season. We have a great neighborhood, and in the warmer months we often have spontaneous backyard barbecues. It is funny, to me, that when I lived in Florida not too many people actually "played" outside (in Hawaii we literally lived outside, so this was a huge disappointment). I've learned that in 4-seasons land, people enjoy the good weather -- yes, even when it is hot, humid, and buggy -- and celebrate being outside. My kind of place.

PS I'm using the word barbecue as it is used here and was in my youth. Not smoked, cooked on a grill that is called a barbecue pit, over charcoal.

Rainee said:
Allen you taking about an offest cooker/smoker?

Yes! Down in OK, there was a model marketed (and maybe made by) Oklahoma Joe. I've seen knockoff's up here, but nothing with that name on it.

As much as I'd love to start smoking foods, I don't know if I'll actually have the time. That's why I'm interested in this one, as you don't have to get the offset firebox. Just grill over the coals.

It's kind of odd thinking about this kind of stuff right now. It's 26 degrees out, and there's snow on the ground and on the roofs.

All I have is a hibachi, but it works just fine for us. I really love burgers on the grill, bbq chicken, grilled vegetable (I use italian dressing on the veggies), salmon, steaks. Probably have the burger the first time I start up the grill this year. Cant wait for the snow to be gone! Though I have cooked outside in the winter, but it's not quite the same.

Back
Top Bottom